Premed 101 Forums

What are the average FEES for Irish Med Schools? (and how are their match rates?)

Can anyone who's attending irish medschools tell how much they pay on average per year with fees and living?

----------------------------

Also, is it worth for Canadians to go to ireland versus the caribbean?

Do we have better match rates into the USA through ireland versus the carribbean?

Thanks!

Can't anyone please help me out here? :(

I searched the forum, this is the best I found for fees in ireland: http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2506&highlight=ireland+fees

It says it's around $52,000CAD per year for ireland.

I don't know how much that changed this year.

And I can't really find anything about match rates.

Can anyone please provide some input?

Thanks guys.

CaRMS published a report on Canadians Studying Abroad that might be of interest. It's on their website.

Thanks Nlengr. I checked it out, http://www.carms.ca/eng/operations_R1reports_11_e.shtml.

The match rates are insanely BAD for IMGs. 1920 IMGs applied and only 380 got a residency. Holy crap. God knows how many were from ireland or carribean though, they don't list that anywhere.

UCD is about CDN$56,000 per year for tuition, for 5 years, plus living expenses in Dublin which is apparently not cheap, you could add on another 20k/year probably.

Thanks for the input leviathan. But I thought the MBBS was 4 years, not 5.

Nonethless, I'd rather pay like $40k per year in the carribean than like $80k per year in ireland, when I don't even know what the match rates are like.

I'm rattled.

Thanks Nlengr. I checked it out, http://www.carms.ca/eng/operations_R1reports_11_e.shtml.

The match rates are insanely BAD for IMGs. 1920 IMGs applied and only 380 got a residency. Holy crap. God knows how many were from ireland or carribean though, they don't list that anywhere.

I'm rattled.

Yeah traditionally IMGs has had a better time matching to the US. But the recent opening of more schools in the US probably will cut down on IMGs spots in the states as well.

They are expecting first year classes of MD + DO schools to hit 26,000 in the United States by 2015. That would put the student:residency spot ratio at 1:1 and with the current financial situation I don't see Medicare somehow getting funding to add more spots. That means no more IMGs matching in the US in the not too distant future. Already now, good luck matching if your step 1 score is below 220, maybe even 230.

Yeah traditionally IMGs has had a better time matching to the US. But the recent opening of more schools in the US probably will cut down on IMGs spots in the states as well.

They are expecting first year classes of MD + DO schools to hit 26,000 in the United States by 2015. That would put the student:residency spot ratio at 1:1 and with the current financial situation I don't see Medicare somehow getting funding to add more spots. That means no more IMGs matching in the US in the not too distant future. Already now, good luck matching if your step 1 score is below 220, maybe even 230.

WHAtt..

Reading these two posts is making me shaky on what I've been planning to do for a year now (which is to go to the caribs).

I'll be in the graduating class of 2016 from a caribbean medschool when I go.

And I'm pretty sure we're supposed to apply for residency in the final year of medical school, so I'll be applying late-2015 and getting matched mid-2016.

I don't know if this is safe or will work-out anymore..

Read this for more info.

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMhpr1107519

If you were graduating in 2015/16 then you'd be done when these numbers were beginning at 1st year (meaning they wont reach parity for another 3-4 years). But if it's parity 3-4 years after, the gap is already going to be pretty close by 2014/2015.

But isn't it impossible to tell what will happen to the ratio of american med grads vs. residency spots? Who knows if a bunch of american medschools will strongly keep increasing their first enrollment class every year? They may not do so.

And doesn't it take a while to build/open new medschools? I don't think a bunch of them can just pop up within the next few years without many previous years of planning for them.

My main concern is that from the article it seems they're not going to increase residency spots anytime soon...period. They just dont have the money, and no-one seems to be supporting the cause to increase residency spots.

Levithan, do you have any good prediction of what may happen?

But isn't it impossible to tell what will happen to the ratio of american med grads vs. residency spots? Who knows if a bunch of american medschools will strongly keep increasing their first enrollment class every year? They may not do so.

And doesn't it take a while to build/open new medschools? I don't think a bunch of them can just pop up within the next few years without many previous years of planning for them.

My main concern is that from the article it seems they're not going to increase residency spots anytime soon...period. They just dont have the money, and no-one seems to be supporting the cause to increase residency spots.

The trend signs are absolutely clear, there's no doubt schools are rapidly expanding their class sizes all across the board. The ratio of American grads and residency spots is quickly converging towards 1:1 (like Canada). This is simply fact and common knowledge amongst US meders. Prediction - the US grads will keep rising, it's not going to stop. There's already US med schools that's petitioned hospitals to stop taking in Caribbean students on rotations. The international students will get squeezed out slowly.

In the supplementary material section of the article, you can see that there are 15+ new medical/osteopathic schools that have already opened or will soon open. That's a lot considering they all have the capacity to expand enrollment, so the new schools that are taking 60 at the moment might take 100+ in the next few years. Add them all up, and that's like 1500 new grads every year.

I agree the picture for IMGs is not looking great for US.

The trend signs are absolutely clear, there's no doubt schools are rapidly expanding their class sizes all across the board. The ratio of American grads and residency spots is quickly converging towards 1:1 (like Canada). This is simply fact and common knowledge amongst US meders. Prediction - the US grads will keep rising, it's not going to stop. There's already US med schools that's petitioned hospitals to stop taking in Caribbean students on rotations. The international students will get squeezed out slowly.

In the supplementary material section of the article, you can see that there are 15+ new medical/osteopathic schools that have already opened or will soon open. That's a lot considering they all have the capacity to expand enrollment, so the new schools that are taking 60 at the moment might take 100+ in the next few years. Add them all up, and that's like 1500 new grads every year.

I agree the picture for IMGs is not looking great for US.

I agree with what you guys are saying. But I'm only concerned about if residency spots will still be around up until 2015-2016 (which is 3-4 years) because that's when I'll apply for residency if I go to caribs.

I feel the ratio will close in on 1:1 definitely. But I'm concerned with whether that'll happen by 2015-2016. If it'll take longer than that, then it's not much of a problem.

Will US schools expand enrollment and open new schools so extensively in the next 3-4 years that it'll be difficult for carib grads to get in? Or will it take longer than that?

Will US schools expand enrollment and open new schools so extensively in the next 3-4 years that it'll be difficult for carib grads to get in? Or will it take longer than that?

It's already been narrowing for years as new schools are opening and more people are not matching. It's just that the gap will be be completely closed by 2018/2019 when the ratio is 1:1. It's not like in 2015 it will be easy, it's already been hard enough now in 2011. I know people with decent board scores who didn't match who were just applying to family medicine.

It's already been narrowing for years as new schools are opening and more people are not matching. It's just that the gap will be be completely closed by 2018/2019 when the ratio is 1:1. It's not like in 2015 it will be easy, it's already been hard enough now in 2011. I know people with decent board scores who didn't match who were just applying to family medicine.

What type of score do you need on the usmle to match then?

It's out of 300 right, and a 188 is a pass, 220 is average.

What were the scores of these people with decent board scores? If they were around average, they should've matched I'd think..

maybe its time people start looking at the facts more seriously and dont just jump onto the Caribbean boat. Maybe look into D.O or other professions. I know of some one with a 200k loan at st.george who didnt match this year.

Yeah, but was his score good enough? Also, he can apply again next year..

Hey hydrogen,

I know what your going through right now. Most of my friends are just like you and are set on going to the Caribbean. I dont know the score of the guy who didnt match, but the point is that he didn't drop out of the school and completed his 4 years and still couldnt get in. If you are willing to take the risk, then go to the Caribbean, but nothing is guaranteed. Just remember whenever you graduate, you will have to score higher than american graduates. Not only will you be going to a foreign school, you will also not have american citizenship. So your board scores better be pretty high.

In anycase, look into the DO schools. I just got accepted to one and have interviews at a few others. They are honestly amazing schools where literally 100% of people match. The school in Arizona i went to had 5 derm matches last year.

Good luck and if you have any questions about applying DO or anything, let me know and I can help you with the applications.

What type of score do you need on the usmle to match then?

It's out of 300 right, and a 188 is a pass, 220 is average.

What were the scores of these people with decent board scores? If they were around average, they should've matched I'd think..

The step 1 has 322 questions on it. Your exam score is not the number of questions you got right, but a scaled score like the MCAT. At the time of my exam they were reporting the average/mean as 221 with a standard deviation of 24.

Archived