Premed 101 Forums

Need Advice Much Appreciated

estherboo

Hey guys, I'm VERY conflicted

I am hoping to apply for med next year and my focus is on two things right now:

a) getting high marks (I'm doing second degree so its very important for me)

B) EC/volunteers and get LOR's

This year a prof is willing to sponsor me for a scholarship if I work on a project with him until April min. 8-10 hours a week.

Although, it seems like an awesome opportunity, I am not sure if I should go with it because

a) I need to do well on all my courses (I'm taking 5 full credits)-> less time (I know its only 8 hrs/week but it still shortens my study time I guess)

B) I won't have time for other things ie. clubs, volunteer at hospital, volunteer at lab etc. which could get me at least 2 references, while if I work with the prof I'll prob only get 1. In fact, I heard the prof is a bit egotistical (I kind of found him a bit 'in your face') and I'm not sure how high his expectation is be of me and how good he'll writ me an LOR

What would you guys do if you were in my position?

GPA is the most important thing when it comes to med school, anywhere in North America. Don't sacrifice anything for GPA. You can make up for research, volunteer, etc later, but GPA is permanent. It's also not a good idea to work in research with a professor whom you feel you don't like, it makes everybody's life harder. Find a professor whom you think is approachable, likable and you feel comfortable working with for a long time.

Thanks so much for advice guys..

I know I'll do much better if I don't do research but it's so tempting to get a scholarship. And scholarships and awards do matter for med right?? But I heard ppl say "GPA is king" for med school. arggghhh so frustrated..

There is this prof who's willing to take me in for volunteering. I think he'll be easier to work with, and requires only 4 hours a week. Should I go for this instead??

Thanks so much for advice guys..

I know I'll do much better if I don't do research but it's so tempting to get a scholarship. And scholarships and awards do matter for med right?? But I heard ppl say "GPA is king" for med school. arggghhh so frustrated..

There is this prof who's willing to take me in for volunteering. I think he'll be easier to work with, and requires only 4 hours a week. Should I go for this instead??

GPA IS king. It's one of the one things you can't ever change... or even if you can (some schools only look at best 2 years, 2nd degree, etc) it's a difficult road

If you don't feel like you would be able to work well with the prof then don't take on the research project. Scholarships are important for med but don't do everything FOR med because you will hate yourself if you are unsuccessful. do the things you enjoy! do you think you would be able to get more out of the experience if you went for volunteering instead of the other research job? (i.e. would you enjoy it more, would you be able to build up a good relationship with the prof which could potentially be an awesome LOR?)

at the end of the day, 4 hours per week vs 8 hours per week is not too much of a difference. if you enjoy the work you do, an extra 4 hours per week won't seem like anything

If you don't feel like you would be able to work well with the prof then don't take on the research project.

at the end of the day, 4 hours per week vs 8 hours per week is not too much of a difference. if you enjoy the work you do, an extra 4 hours per week won't seem like anything

well said from my viewpoint

So I wrote my mcat on sept 10 and the tentative release date is oct 11, which is also the release deadline for OMSAS. If they release the mcat later will this mean I won't be able to apply this cycle and I'll have wasted my money?

No, you have to inform them though of this. They will update their scores as soon as they get them.

Archived