Premed 101 Forums

3/5 rule?? 3/5 per semester or... what??!!

Hey people! So I'm trying to fulfill the 3/5 requirement for Western. I think in my third year, I will take 3 second year courses in 1st sem and 1 second year course in 2nd sem. Does this fulfill the 3/5 requirement? I searched this on Western site and it does kinda seem like my case meets the 3/5 requirement but I'm confused because everyone is talking about 3/5 per semester, 3/5 semester blah blah blah...

Oh, and I need some advice from those of you who have had experiences of taking 5 courses during summer. Is it tough? And do I have to meet 3/5 rule for that semester as well? I thought of maybe cramming all those troubling 2nd year courses for the summer... Mostly because I want to graduate a bit early, relax a bit, and then apply for med school after boosting my EC.

Thanks =)

Hey people! So I'm trying to fulfill the 3/5 requirement for Western. I think in my third year, I will take 3 second year courses in 1st sem and 1 second year course in 2nd sem. Does this fulfill the 3/5 requirement? I searched this on Western site and it does kinda seem like my case meets the 3/5 requirement but I'm confused because everyone is talking about 3/5 per semester, 3/5 semester blah blah blah...

Oh, and I need some advice from those of you who have had experiences of taking 5 courses during summer. Is it tough? And do I have to meet 3/5 rule for that semester as well? I thought of maybe cramming all those troubling 2nd year courses for the summer... Mostly because I want to graduate a bit early, relax a bit, and then apply for med school after boosting my EC.

Thanks =)

Yes, that fulfills the 3/5 requirement; its not per semester but for the whole year (the 5 refers to 5 full year courses)

I do not think you need to meet the 3/5 rule for the summer term since UWO doesn't use your summer marks (but maybe check up with them just to be sure). I wouldn't recommend cramming them in just to graduate early, but it might be a wise idea to take the harder courses during the summer since many schools do not take into account summer courses. You should try doing ECs during the school year. If you are afraid they will hinder your GPA, start low, then build up. You'll be surprised at how much you can accomplish if you prioritize your time properly.

I agree with Medhopeful about the EC's. Not only will they look great for your app if you do them doing the year (which demonstrates time management skills/organizational skills/etc.), but you'll most likely have a lot more fun during the year as well (provided you do EC's you enjoy)

Archived