Premed 101 Forums

Chances?

Long time lurker here but, decided to finally sign on in order to hopefully get some insight into my chances.

Currently I have a 3.7 (OMSAS gpa) and my MCAT is a 30S (9V, 10P, 11B S).

Some of my extra-curriculars include: I took an EMT course in another country and was on an ambulance with paramedics and doctors for 2 months (260 hours), I have 200 hours in my local hospital volunteering, I'm a Sudent Senator well as I'm a member of the Student Caucus for my Department at University, I have worked as a lifeguard and swim instructor at a community centre for the past 3 years, have worked as a camp counselor at an overnight camp (shared living quarters with small kids) for one summer on swim staff, and am Secretary in a club at university I've been involved with for 2 years. As a youth I took part in a Youth Committee that was run by the Town I live in and was attended by the Mayor. I live in a community under 250,000 just outside Toronto, Ontario. I have others but they are minor in comparison.

If anyone can give me some advice as to what my chances are at Ontario Schools it would be greatly appreciated :)

So many views, so little advice :confused:

It's very difficult to say something with little information about your GPA and IP status. Can you give a breakdown of your GPA by year with courseload? Are you IP for any province other than Ontario? Which province were you born in? Do you serve in the military? Do you speak fluent French? These are all pertinent questions that can make a huge impact on your competitiveness.

Long time lurker here but, decided to finally sign on in order to hopefully get some insight into my chances.

Currently I have a 3.7 (OMSAS gpa) and my MCAT is a 30S (9V, 10P, 11B S).

Judging by your MCAT, I'd cross off UWO from your list, and possibly Queens, due to their hard cutoffs? Are you are a rural resident, and/or a grad student? NOSM is a possibility if so. How is your weighted GPA? If it's 3.8 or higher, I'd say U of T is a possibility, and if it's nearly 3.9 I'd say Ottawa is a possibility. McMaster is also a possibility, just ace the CASPER.

It's very difficult to say something with little information about your GPA and IP status. Can you give a breakdown of your GPA by year with courseload? Are you IP for any province other than Ontario? Which province were you born in? Do you serve in the military? Do you speak fluent French? These are all pertinent questions that can make a huge impact on your competitiveness.

GPA:

1st year

bio(A)

chem 1(B)

chem 2(A)

Poli Sci(A)

Calc(B)

2nd year:

A - Cell Bio I

A - Cell Bio II

B - zoology

A - genetics

B+ - computer programming

A - women studies

Summer - Orgo A

3rd year:

A - human genetics

A+ - molec bio

A+ - molec bio

A - virology

A - evolution (bio)

A+ - human phys.

A - physics

A+ - geography

A - kineseology course

A - History

Summer: - philosophy course - A+

Born and raised in a suburb of toronto. No military. No french

Judging by your MCAT, I'd cross off UWO from your list, and possibly Queens, due to their hard cutoffs? Are you are a rural resident, and/or a grad student? NOSM is a possibility if so. How is your weighted GPA? If it's 3.8 or higher, I'd say U of T is a possibility, and if it's nearly 3.9 I'd say Ottawa is a possibility. McMaster is also a possibility, just ace the CASPER.

I don't believe i get the weighted formula for uoft because my first year wasn't a full course-load.

GPA:

1st year

bio(A)

chem 1(B)

chem 2(A)

Poli Sci(A)

Calc(B)

2nd year:

A - Cell Bio I

A - Cell Bio II

B - zoology

A - genetics

B+ - computer programming

A - women studies

Summer - Orgo A

3rd year:

A - human genetics

A+ - molec bio

A+ - molec bio

A - virology

A - evolution (bio)

A+ - human phys.

A - physics

A+ - geography

A - kineseology course

A - History

Summer: - philosophy course - A+

Born and raised in a suburb of toronto. No military. No french

Thank you, now the picture is much more clear.

I think UWO and NOSM can be ruled out because VR is low for UWO and geographic location doesn't really work for NOSM

Queens is definitely worth a try. Mac is worth a try as well, but it will depend on the CASPER because your GPA and VR is not super.

UT and Ottawa questionable. You could try UT, but I wouldn't put too much hope into it.

As for OOP, you may want to look into Dal, maybe Manitoba or UBC?

Archived