Premed 101 Forums

Physics

ditde

Seems to be a lot of physics haters on this forum. Sighs' date=' must I be the only one who loves physics. 1st year physics is pretty pointless because all the problems are in perfect conditions which will never happen (no friction, no air resistance, ect.. ) the upper year engineering courses are awesome if you love physics. Fluid mechanics, heat transfer, vector mechanics, dynamics.. my favourite (organic chem is another story:mad: )[/quote']

You're not alone! I like physics a lot too. I did the basic physics and plus some modern physics. I TA'd physics in UG and my research has also been pretty physics heavy. And my future career will probably involve a lot of physics. ;)

Seems to be a lot of physics haters on this forum. Sighs' date=' must I be the only one who loves physics. 1st year physics is pretty pointless because all the problems are in perfect conditions which will never happen (no friction, no air resistance, ect.. ) the upper year engineering courses are awesome if you love physics. Fluid mechanics, heat transfer, vector mechanics, dynamics.. my favourite (organic chem is another story:mad: )[/quote']

Abstract!

Re: ochem...

Nail the concepts of electronegativity, dipoles, and resonance and I swear ochem is fascinating. One you understand the flow of electrons you start to see reactions proceed as if you were watching a movie. Too many students get caught up in memorization, which makes learning ochem torture.

I seriously fail to see the point in learning about springs and falling balls (and in a world with no freaking air resistance or friction!)

Cardiology (your heart is actually a pump)

Ophthalmology (visions, lens, lights….)

Diagnostics of bone damage from accidents

Diagnostic imaging (X-rays, Ultrasound, MRI, PET scans, CT scans…)

Radiotherapy

Nuclear medicine

...just to name a few. I know a lot of people have trouble doing well in physics. Just hang in there and make sure you don't accumulate your assigned questions till just before the tests. Good luck.

I agree with above posts, if you're not doing well in physics and you don't think you going to do well in it in the future then drop it, unless it's a requirement for your courses. There are only 3 medical schools out of 27 in Canada that require 1st year physics, UBC and Mcgill and some other uni can't remember require you to take 1 year of physics. btw, for the physical sciences section on MCAT you definitely do not need university level physics to answer those questions. You can easily self study and learn the material, and its not hard at all.

• 2 months later...

Oh well, managed to pull a B for Physics so it shouldn't hurt my GPA too badly. My other grades haven't come out yet but I'm expecting 3.7's or 4.0's so I should be fine I think.

EDIT: I actually failed my mid-term and got 49% so I'm actually very happy with my B. :P

Archived