Premed 101 Forums

A neuropathology atlas?

Dear all:

Currently I am doing an elective in neuropathology and am feeling like an idiot. I am wondering if there is an atlas for neuropathology out there that possess the following characteristics:

1. Focus on brain tumour, spine tumour and eye lesions.

2. Big, clear, sharp pictures

3. Shows me how the organs would normally look like under the microscope (when I was looking at descement membrane I did not even know what a normal descement membrane looked like, causing me to say to staff stupid things like "this descement membrane is low in cellularity" and mistaking iris pigment for hemosiderin).

4. Contains all commonly encountered neuropathologies, as I would run through them in a typical day at the neuropathology department. Preferrably with labels pointing to the features of the disease that pathologists would look for.

5. Lots and lots of cases, to hone my pattern recognition abilities.

The problem with the departmentally-sactioned textbook I am using now is too much text and too little (and crappy) pictures. I basically want to be able to look at stuff in the microscope (which I have mastered doing now) and be able to describe, to the staff, intelligently, what I am seeing and what the differential might be.

If there are any online repositories of neuropathology or pathology cases (with big neuro section) with big micrographs and plenty of annotations I am also all ears. (I remember using Java-based e-microscope software for my histology class in first year).

Thanks,

mcater2006

I found this on the internet:

http://neuropathology-web.org/

And more links:

http://www.pathmax.com/neurolink.html

The other thing I would do in your shoes is go to the medical school library and browse the neuropathology section. A single book might not fit all your criteria, but a collection of books might. You can also try asking the residents for what they use.

Dear all:

Currently I am doing an elective in neuropathology and am feeling like an idiot. I am wondering if there is an atlas for neuropathology out there that possess the following characteristics:

1. Focus on brain tumour, spine tumour and eye lesions.

2. Big, clear, sharp pictures

3. Shows me how the organs would normally look like under the microscope (when I was looking at descement membrane I did not even know what a normal descement membrane looked like, causing me to say to staff stupid things like "this descement membrane is low in cellularity" and mistaking iris pigment for hemosiderin).

4. Contains all commonly encountered neuropathologies, as I would run through them in a typical day at the neuropathology department. Preferrably with labels pointing to the features of the disease that pathologists would look for.

5. Lots and lots of cases, to hone my pattern recognition abilities.

The problem with the departmentally-sactioned textbook I am using now is too much text and too little (and crappy) pictures. I basically want to be able to look at stuff in the microscope (which I have mastered doing now) and be able to describe, to the staff, intelligently, what I am seeing and what the differential might be.

If there are any online repositories of neuropathology or pathology cases (with big neuro section) with big micrographs and plenty of annotations I am also all ears. (I remember using Java-based e-microscope software for my histology class in first year).

Thanks,

mcater2006

Try "Color Atlas of Pathology" by Werner; http://ebookstore.thieme.com/product/color-atlas-pathology

Archived