Premed 101 Forums

Any advice please.

Guest titi

Hi,

I'm currently in my first yr of undergraduate life sciences and as much as I thought I would enjoy doing purely science - I don't. The program that I'm following now consist of five full courses in the sciences and this will also continue on next yr. I do enjoy bio, but I'm not quite fond of physics and chem. Thus, I'm now considering switching over to the arts. Some people have told me that med school take an even closer interest in students who are not from a science background and that arts student tend to score higher on MCAT than science students. Is this true? I do find that the sciences is very good at improving your logistical skills, but creatively it has not done much for me, as well as other students. Aside from bio, I've also been very interested in woman's studies, philosophy and anthropology, but I haven't been able to figure out what a major in bio and a major in anthropology/woman's studies will service if I don't enter med school. I have considered law as an alternative route, but like some of the posting recently made by pass law students I think my heart is much more settle in med. If anyone have any suggestion/advice, I would greatly appreciated. Thanx.

Guest Ian Wong

If you get all the medical school pre-requisite courses done in your major, you'll be able to apply to med school. However, you might need to do additional studying for the science sections of the MCAT, as the material on there will often be covered to a very significant degree in a science undergrad major, but wouldn't necessarily in an arts major.

The other question is whether or not you have any other backup careers to medicine, and whether doing an arts degree, or science degree for that matter, will help you towards a job outside of medicine (should you get rejected or decide that it isn't the career for you).

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Archived