Premed 101 Forums

FOR ALL of us who Download Movies/Music off the Internet.. conservative majority suck

hydrogen4

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/law-cracks-down-on-digital-piracy-in-canada/article2184521/singlepage/#articlecontent

I guess this is why you shouldn't elect a MAJORITY Conservative gov't.

Serious sucking up to the US..

P.S. I'm not questioning the ethics of stealing. So please don't argue about whether it's ethical/non-ethical to download... relax

I think it's a good thing they finally updated this, cause from my point of view downloading is stealing. I still do it sometimes, but I am aware of the risks and I try to buy as much cds as I can to encourage my favorite artists.

There's only that part about the personnal backup from a protected disk that I don't really like. If I buy a cd and it's protected, does that mean I can't save it on my computer to listen to it on my iPod?

There's only that part about the personnal backup from a protected disk that I don't really like. If I buy a cd and it's protected, does that mean I can't save it on my computer to listen to it on my iPod?

Breaking the digital encryption on a movie DVD – even if copying it for personal use – would make individual Canadians liable for legal damages of up to $5,000 under the bill unveiled by Industry Minister Christian Paradis and Mr. Moore Thursday.

Yes I believe so.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/law-cracks-down-on-digital-piracy-in-canada/article2184521/singlepage/#articlecontent

P.S. I'm not questioning the ethics of stealing. So please don't argue about whether it's ethical/non-ethical to download... relax

It sucks for the consumer but they are right, downloading pirated movies is like stealing. people work hard and spend millions to create them.

Consumers need to recognize that there is a cost to having things in this world. Have I downloaded illegal materials before? Yup, I have. Is it a routine thing with me? No it's not. Do I justify my actions by saying X company is still making millions? No I do not. Wrong is wrong and there's no justification that makes it right.

If a person isn't willing to pay for what they use then in my opinion they didn't need it in the first place. Any time I've downloaded pirated software, if I found it something that I used on a regular basis I went and purchased it. Other things, I've not (music, movies etc) so I am no saint in this regard but I try to do it as much as possible. All my music comes from itunes or youtube these days.

I have no problem with this update. It likely won't make a difference in the grand scheme of things but I think people and organizations should be paid for what they produce.

Again as I stated in my initial post, I'm not arguing whether it's right/wrong to steal. It's kind of obvious.. Some unfair things though:

1. Our stupid conservative majority is implementing laws based on sucking up to the US.

2. It's unethical to steal, but it's unethical for the RIAA and MPAA to fine people $10,000 or $30,000 for one count of downloading. How is that not stealing in a way...

3. Before internet piracy came around, the prices to rent/watch movies were exorbitant. Their margin was ridiculous. (it still is even after piracy) There would be no netflix or any of these reasonable alternatives..

There are people in this country who do not have enough to eat, people without homes, people who need help and digital piracy is what the gov't cares about? Boggles the mind.

The copyright law in the USA never stopped people from downloading anyway, so I don't see how it would be different here, especially with encrypted servers etc.

Yeah, it's a bit like extreme speeders who own a passport detector - those who are pros at it usually get away, while the small fry (like me doing 9km/h over :P) get hit. For now, though there's the "reassurance" that they're just going to pursue big-time uploaders. :rolleyes:

I haven't bought a DVD or CD I haven't torrented. On the flip side, if I've torrented a DVD or CD and actually listened to it/watched it more than once, chances are pretty good I've gone out and bought it.

Governments and recording companies need to wake up and smell the dollars rather than kneejerking so much.

Archived