Premed 101 Forums

Transcripts status

UPDATE:

Just looked at my application status again..

Looks like they changed my application status from what it was a few days ago. The previous "value" and "weight" assignments I had mentioned are no longer there.

So I guess they were meant to be in reference to last years application...

Same here, it is now gone

So, either they're working on Sunday or this application system has a mind of its own.. :eek:

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Same here, it is now gone

So, either they're working on Sunday or this application system has a mind of its own.. :eek:

now my application is showing my entire score breakdown from the previous application cycle. are they going to re-evaluate my files or simply go with the score i received the previous cycle?

now my application is showing my entire score breakdown from the previous application cycle. are they going to re-evaluate my files or simply go with the score i received the previous cycle?

Considering the entire scoring system has changed, I expect they will be re-evaluating everyone's files.

This is my first time applying to UofC, FWIW. I'm IP this year!

OK- everyone, chill. There are 90 days left. They're clearing out the old system and changing it up. There is NOTHING we can do now, so let the cycle run its course and enjoy the fact that you've submitted. :)

So i talked to admissions today in regards to my transcript status. as a side note, i asked them about going through MCAT. she confirmed to me that they have not even started going through MCAT so those of you who have values/ weights...they mean nothing

thanks for this.

I think you have a great shot at a file review with a 3.96 and 9 VR. Your GPA is high enough that it might compensate, especially given that GPA is weighted twice as heavily as VR.

Thanks for the optimism! I appreciate it..

FYI, the OOP algorithm last year (2010-2011) was:

62.517 (gpa) + 12.122 (mcat,vr) + 6.757(mcat,bs)

So with a 3.96 GPA and a 9 VR I would need a 14 BS to pass the cutoff

Or with the 10BS that I had, I would have needed a 13VR to pass the cutoff.

Of course they have eliminated the BS from the equation and GPA is weighted more heavily this cycle. Also you can see how having a balanced high MCAT score helps immensely (a 11VR, 11BS would have easily passed the cutoff)

Also.. I think it is worth mentioning that my file review (as an IP) for my UBC application last year, was well past the OOP cutoffs. But I had already qualified as an in province applicant for my UBC interview..

So in my opinion... as a comparison the UofC and UofA OOP cutoffs (at least last year) were much tougher than they were for UBC (at least in my case) as I did not get an interview at any of the Alberta school's last year.

• 3 weeks later...
has anyone checked there app lately and noticed that the gpa scoring has been completed and there is a gpa calculation? does anyone have a lower gpa calculation than what they were expecting?

I see it, and yea my GPA calculation seems lower than what I had expected

Dropping my lowest year, I should have about 3.84 but it shows 3.79 instead

has anyone checked there app lately and noticed that the gpa scoring has been completed and there is a gpa calculation? does anyone have a lower gpa calculation than what they were expecting?

I don't see this either...

Also wouldn't you already know the gpa calculation when you inputted your grades/in the transcripts tab on the application. Since every percentage has a diff gpa, your gpa will probably be slightly different. Or is the one showing up now completely different than that as well?

Also wouldn't you already know the gpa calculation when you inputted your grades/in the transcripts tab on the application. Since every percentage has a diff gpa, your gpa will probably be slightly different. Or is the one showing up now completely different than that as well?

The transcripts section shows the grades per academic year. U of C said they would let students know what their wGPA - this wGPA is what we are talking about.

well, i used the formula u of c specifies in their application. i took all of my full time years and dropped the lowest. however, the gpa i calculated is lower than what i am seeing on my app at this moment.

i think also the discrepancy maybe in the dropping of the lowest year; from listening to the podcast i think it said that only the lowest yr will be dropped if four years are completed at the time of application ... someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this one

i think also the discrepancy maybe in the dropping of the lowest year; from listening to the podcast i think it said that only the lowest yr will be dropped if four years are completed at the time of application ... someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this one

Pretty sure it is getting your degree by April 2012.

I'm IP... mine are there. It's a little lower than I expected, but Calgary doesn't do just a straight grade conversion, so that could be why (there's a bit of a subjective component to their GPA conversion to factor in the differences in degrees/universities/if the sky was orange or green on the day they did your conversion...). For those that are wondering, it's under the app status tab, just under the checkmarks and above all the MCAT/score-type stuff.

I wouldn't worry at all if yours isn't up yet! They just might be doing it as they finish people's applications :)

I'm IP... mine are there. It's a little lower than I expected, but Calgary doesn't do just a straight grade conversion, so that could be why (there's a bit of a subjective component to their GPA conversion to factor in the differences in degrees/universities/if the sky was orange or green on the day they did your conversion...). For those that are wondering, it's under the app status tab, just under the checkmarks and above all the MCAT/score-type stuff.

I wouldn't worry at all if yours isn't up yet! They just might be doing it as they finish people's applications :)

I was under the impression that subjective calculations only come into play when your file is under full review

Archived