Premed 101 Forums

Irish? Aus? Carib? UK?

I remember someone saying caribbean "no man's island" if you cant get residency spots with your caribbean md.

wouldn't it be the same case with uk or ireland if you cant get a position without eu passport?

Exactly the same, no residency from UK/Irish school, same outcome as Carib MD. But supposedly, Canada recognizes the UK/Irish MBBS degree "more" because it's based on the commonwealth system, which unofficially results in "preference" for the MBBS IMG holders in the Canadian system.

Either case, if you want Irish MBBS, pm Iamsuperdoctor, he's the expert on Irish schools in these parts ;)

But supposedly, Canada recognizes the UK/Irish MBBS degree "more" because it's based on the commonwealth system, which unofficially results in "preference" for the MBBS IMG holders in the Canadian system.

Either case, if you want Irish MBBS, pm Iamsuperdoctor, he's the expert on Irish schools in these parts ;)

You're probably right about the preference, but the most important factor would be knowing the student first-hand from rotations and having strong letters from Canadian attendings and/or program directors. Unfortunately it can be difficult to get exposure to the Canadian system so you do have to fall back on school reputation. I could raise another whole argument about your med school not having any significant bearing on how good of a doctor you are, but that's for a different thread and at the end of the day the reality is people still care about school rep.

No, your not guaranteed residency in Australia when you finish school, unless of course you are an Australian citizen or perm resident. If you are lucky enough to land an nternship spot after Aussie school, you can apply for permanent residency, which will then allow you to apply for residency positions.

No, your not guaranteed residency in Australia when you finish school, unless of course you are an Australian citizen or perm resident. If you are lucky enough to land an nternship spot after Aussie school, you can apply for permanent residency, which will then allow you to apply for residency positions.

So what are the chances of an internship spot from an Australian school? I'm a Canadian citizen but I've always wanted to live and work in Australia. Would completing medical school and my residency in Canada allow me to work in Australia?

So what are the chances of an internship spot from an Australian school? I'm a Canadian citizen but I've always wanted to live and work in Australia. Would completing medical school and my residency in Canada allow me to work in Australia?

If one is so fortunate to get offers from Australian med school from both the states of Queensland and New South Wales, which state will offer a better chance for internship for an international student?

thx

you guys also need to understand that even if you can obtain an internship, it most likely won't be at a large hospital and so your exposure is limited and you are unlikely to get into good specialties afterward because you need recommendation letters from the big name docs and most are at the major hospitals. so, the question is not just "can i get a spot?" but also "where will i get a spot"? And, if you think you can outcompete an Aussie citizen with PR status, don't fool yourself.

My guess is that there would be more of a chance in queensland than nsw. I read an article recently which stated that not a single internship spot was given to international grads in 2010 in NSW. Ill try digging it up and posting it.

Please do!!! much appreciated :)

you guys also need to understand that even if you can obtain an internship, it most likely won't be at a large hospital and so your exposure is limited and you are unlikely to get into good specialties afterward because you need recommendation letters from the big name docs and most are at the major hospitals. so, the question is not just "can i get a spot?" but also "where will i get a spot"? And, if you think you can outcompete an Aussie citizen with PR status, don't fool yourself.

So would it be simpler to get my residency done in Canada and move to Australia then? I would agree with you 100% it is simply too risky to go to Oz spend all that money and be potentially shut out of the system.

So would it be simpler to get my residency done in Canada and move to Australia then? I would agree with you 100% it is simply too risky to go to Oz spend all that money and be potentially shut out of the system.

If you really want to live and practice in Australia, then your best bet would be to do your medical education there as well. You might have trouble getting an internship, but you would have even more issues if you were to complete all your training in Canada, and then go to Australia to practice. You'd be considered an IMG in their system, and I'm pretty sure they aren't very welcoming of IMGs.

I say if you have the honor of completing your medical education in Canada, then stay here and practice.

You could always buy a vacation home or two in Australia and enjoy the best of both worlds. lol

If you really want to live and practice in Australia, then your best bet would be to do your medical education there as well. You might have trouble getting an internship, but you would have even more issues if you were to complete all your training in Canada, and then go to Australia to practice. You'd be considered an IMG in their system, and I'm pretty sure they aren't very welcoming of IMGs.

I say if you have the honor of completing your medical education in Canada, then stay here and practice.

You could always buy a vacation home or two in Australia and enjoy the best of both worlds. lol

I thought if one completed all his/her training in Canada and is licensed in Canada then there is some kind of reciprocal recognition between Canada and Australia. I think I remember reading that from some where but I may be wrong.

Thanks

I thought if one completed all his/her training in Canada and is licensed in Canada then there is some kind of reciprocal recognition between Canada and Australia. I think I remember reading that from some where but I may be wrong.

Thanks

Interesting....Ive never heard of such an agreement. Considering that the Aussie postgrad medical training is longer than the Canadian, ( eg.family med is. 1yr internship+4yrs residency..so 5 yrs total compared to 2 yrs in Canada) I dont see it being as easy as just walking in the country and starting a practice.

It would be nice to see such an agreement in place though.

Interesting....Ive never heard of such an agreement. Considering that the Aussie postgrad medical training is longer than the Canadian, ( eg.family med is. 1yr internship+4yrs residency..so 5 yrs total compared to 2 yrs in Canada) I dont see it being as easy as just walking in the country and starting a practice.

It would be nice to see such an agreement in place though.

2 year postgrad training for family medicine in Canada??

I didn't know that :confused:

Archived