Premed 101 Forums

About Cegep and R Score

Hey everyone!

So, I'm a Cegep freshmen, currently studying in my first session in Health Science.

During admissions, back in August, I received a recommendation letter from the Cegep asking me to join the Honors Science program. I really really really wanted to participate in it back then, but some of my friends convinced me otherwise.

They said that everyone would be super good and that my R score will be horrible if I went into Honors.

However, I just learned recently (through the R score Calculator) that your class' high school average contributes to your R score; and that the higher it is, the higher your R score would be.

This kind of made me really upset... I'm in a regular class right now, and I could estimate that the high school average of my class is in the 70's... whilst mine is 90.

I managed to get an interview with the person in charge of the Honors program for tomorrow... If everything goes well, I "might" (hopefully) be admitted to Honors Science for my 2nd semester.

However, I'm still concerned about doing bad, and actually getting worst marks then I did in regular. My friend who's in Honors right now suggested that I should join him. He was in the same high school as me, so I have a certain knowledge of his academic strength; and, dare I say, it really resembles mine.

He has no problem keeping up with his classes, he's currently above average in all the courses, and he says that his R score for each of them is above 30. While I have tried calculating for hours, I had enormous difficulty getting mine to be above 30, because of the low high school average of my class. But as soon as I bumped this average up to the 80's, I immediately noticed a great change. All my R scores were above 30.

So, I really want to join the Honors program, but I'm just afraid that I'd fall behind. Could anyone help me or give me suggestions about this matter. Should I go to the interview? I'm pretty stressful when I'm talking to adult strangers, but I just really want a high R score to get into University.

All helps would be greatly appreciated! Thank you for your time in helping this young (almost) adult in his hard decisions!

I already answered in the general premed questions but I`ll post it again in this thread:

I was in Honours Science for one semester and switched out.

Here's how the R score system worked for Honours in my Cegep: The average used to calculate the CRC was not your class`s average but the whole program`s average. Thus, I found that being in a tougher program with more challenging exams actually had a negative effect on my R score, considering we are being compared among all the students in the program.

Indeed, my R score in my first semester was my lowest. It`s hard to say if it improved because I switched out of Honours or simply because I adapted to Cegep ... but I can certainly say I was happy to withdraw from Honours Science.

PM me if you have any more questions.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dave,

If you PM me with the CEGEP your currently attending, I might be able to give you a few tips. After 2 semsters of playing with the R-Score myself (programming calculators, looking at models and all) it is really situation dependent. However, after 1-2 semesters, and if you know the equation, you'll get a feeling of what R-Score you'll get in a certain class. I struggled with hon sci vs not for my first semester and ultimately decided against it. It was a good choice for me because at my CEGEP, they calculated R-Scores by the method analine suggested.

Do you mind being in the regular stream? What are your grades now and what are your class averages? Do you have spare time now or do you study a lot? Are you looking at the Med-P program? How large is the honours science class and is there any additional work?

Archived