Premed 101 Forums

Special Masters Program

dedemed

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

I was deciding the same thing in my 4th year of undergrad in Canada. I graduated in 2010 and ended up going to RFUMS' BMS program. It was the best decision I ever made.

You take 4 medical school courses with Chicago Medical School students (so if you get in, you get a relaxed 1st year of medical school where you are free to puruse yet another masters) You are also granted an automatic interview with Chicago Medical School (the medical school at RFUMS) given that you hand in your AMCAS on time.

RFUMS has the best special masters program in all of North America in terms of the number of students who end up getting into medical school, last year about 90 out of 110 students (myself included) got into CMS. Which SMP can boast those stats??

Chicago Medical School had the highest board scores of any medical school in Illinois (beating Northwestern, UChicago) and has an awesome match list.

I am a green card holder/permanent resident but there were at least 6 other Canadians in my class. This year there are even more.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

If you haven't been able to get into medical school in multiple attempts and don't see yourself doing anything besides medicine, I suggest doing the BMS program at RFUMS. It's not a shortcut; you still need to have excellent grades in the program in order to get in. But, it gives you an opportunity to prove yourself. The program will cost you $60,000, which will be an additional debt to the usual $250,000 med school debt. So, you gotta balance the pros and cons and decide for yourself.

If anyone here needs more info. regarding the program, please don't hesitate to PM me.

• 3 months later...
If you haven't been able to get into medical school in multiple attempts and don't see yourself doing anything besides medicine, I suggest doing the BMS program at RFUMS. It's not a shortcut; you still need to have excellent grades in the program in order to get in. But, it gives you an opportunity to prove yourself. The program will cost you $60,000, which will be an additional debt to the usual $250,000 med school debt. So, you gotta balance the pros and cons and decide for yourself.

If anyone here needs more info. regarding the program, please don't hesitate to PM me.

Are you a Canadian with no US residency/ citizenship? Did you get into Med School straight out of your SMP or did it take a year? How would you compare the SMP program with undergrad (biology major for example) in term of intensity, difficulty, etc? I am really looking into an SMP but i dont know if i should do that or just do another year of undergrad..

Archived