Premed 101 Forums

Lab Volunteering

ameltingbanana

Hey guys,

So I`ve contacted a few profs about volunteering in my department (earlier on in the year), and only one has said `contact me later on in the winter, I`ll have stuff for you to do in Jan`. Is there something I'm doing wrong - I assumed professors would generally be pretty happy about getting students who are both interested in their work and willing to provide free labour. I have only been emailing professors whose work I find cool, but does anybody have any tips (maybe it was too early on..)? Thanks for any input!

Hey guys,

So I`ve contacted a few profs about volunteering in my department (earlier on in the year), and only one has said `contact me later on in the winter, I`ll have stuff for you to do in Jan`. Is there something I'm doing wrong - I assumed professors would generally be pretty happy about getting students who are both interested in their work and willing to provide free labour. I have only been emailing professors whose work I find cool, but does anybody have any tips (maybe it was too early on..)? Thanks for any input!

Nah they should still reply back even it was too early. Maybe, its your email that is the problem... Work on the email... you need to let them know that you're looking forward to their reply... how are you asking them? are you just saying "can I volunteer in your lab"?

No, first I say what year I'm in (3rd) and what program.Then, usually I cite some of their research I've looked up, and mention the subject area I'm interested in and why. And I usually mention that I'm looking forward to their reply, and offer to show them an academic transcript if they'd like...It's just a bit discouraging, haha.

Maybe it's just bad luck.

No, first I say what year I'm in (3rd) and what program.Then, usually I cite some of their research I've looked up, and mention the subject area I'm interested in and why. And I usually mention that I'm looking forward to their reply, and offer to show them an academic transcript if they'd like...It's just a bit discouraging, haha.

Do you have any previous research experience to offer? Or is this your first effort?

If you do it would be a great thing to highlight.

Try emailing the profs that you've taken a course with. Tell them you got interested when they highlighted their research in the course. I've always got replies from profs I've taken a course with... I've never really asked a random prof before.

Do you have any previous research experience to offer? Or is this your first effort?

If you do it would be a great thing to highlight.

Unfortunately, no. That's part of the reason I'm offering to volunteer, I kind of want to see what a research environment is all about and see if it's for me. And charmer, thats a good idea, there actually is a prof who I hadn't thought about whose class I'm in currently. I'll try that and see how it goes.

Thanks guys!

Are there any research courses for undegraduates at your school? Those are set up to introduce students to research.

Do you mean to cite in terms of research experience? If so, I do. I just want to see what working in a prof's lab looks like, as I'll be doing an honors thesis next year. Figure it doesn't hurt to start looking at things early by volunteering.

Unfortunately, the meaning of your first sentence has eluded me :confused:

Oh, I thought you were referring to a research course in terms of me citing it in an email to the prof as prior lab experience. But I see now that was more Cerena's point, not yours, my mistake. Yeah, I have taken a research

methods course, but it was VERY general - I want to try working on something more focused and defined. I understand I'll be the lab @&:/? for a while, but I'm alright with starting at the bottom haha.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived