Premed 101 Forums

Residency status in Australia?

I know this question might be a longshot, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

I'm going to be applying to med school next year - thought I'm 27 and I graduated from university in 2006 - however want a career change.

Anyway, since I think I'm borderline for Canadian universities

cGPA 3.66, MCAT TBD - I'm considering Australia as an option because:

1. I lived in Australia for 2 years

2. My husband and son are New Zealand citizens (which allows them to declare permanent residency status in Oz)

So...I was wondering, having a) lived in Oz for 2 years and B) having a permanent resident spouse, would I be able to apply as a permanent resident? I am prepared to live in Oz to complete my medical training.

I have emailed the immigration department to see if I can get permanent residency status before moving there (so that I can save some $$ on the tuition and have an easier time with internship).

What do you think??

I think you have a great chance at obtaining permanent residency which will pretty much guarantee you an internship position once you finish med school.

But beware that if you get admitted next year as an international student, you might lose your spot in the program if you gain permanent residency down the road sometime. Some schools will allow you to transfer to a domestic spot, but some schools are pretty strict and wont let you continue.

Best thing to do is get your perm residency first and apply for domestic position.

I think you have a great chance at obtaining permanent residency which will pretty much guarantee you an internship position once you finish med school.

But beware that if you get admitted next year as an international student, you might lose your spot in the program if you gain permanent residency down the road sometime. Some schools will allow you to transfer to a domestic spot, but some schools are pretty strict and wont let you continue.

Best thing to do is get your perm residency first and apply for domestic position.

Yeah, I think that's what I would do. I also think I might be eligible for it right away too, because I've already lived there for 2 years and my husband has permanent residency status.

But I guess then I would need to apply as a domestic student then, and take the Aussie version of the MCAT?

Yeah, I think that's what I would do. I also think I might be eligible for it right away too, because I've already lived there for 2 years and my husband has permanent residency status.

But I guess then I would need to apply as a domestic student then, and take the Aussie version of the MCAT?

Yes you would have to do the GAMSAT or the UMAT if applying for a domestic spot.

Australian domestic spots are really conpetitive. At my school (UWS) there were over 3200 applicants for the 110 domestic spots, and about 200 international applicants for the 20 international positions.

I would suggest contacting the schools that you plan on applying to, and ask them on their policy on internationals transferring to domestic spots.

Archived