Premed 101 Forums

Professional school

Guest MynameisSarah78

Guest MynameisSarah78

Does anyone know how medical schools such as UFT etc., perceive students who are applying to medical school who are currently in a medical related professional program like dentistry or veterinary medicine? I am just thinking of the two sides the medical school could take. One, that it is good thing and benefical , adds to the life experiences of the applicant and also those are difficult competitive programs to get into so it shows good academic and clinical ability. Basically, it could be advantageous and beneficial than applying from an undergrad and make a student stand out more. But secondly, do the medical schools not like that, since maybe the student is not focused in one career path and tends to switch around?

Guest RAK2005

Well, I was a physiotherapy grad when I applied, and the party line most schools give is that "no preference is given to the type of undergraduate degree/program attained". That being said, I had to make SURE that I had good reasons for switching into medicine. As long as you've got a decent reason for wanting medicine it shouldn't matter. Moreover, it usually is seen as a plus if you have previous clinical experience with patient interaction (although if you're a vet the history taking is slightly different:) ).

My opinion is that is really shouldn't matter in the scheme of things, and it may make give you more to talk about in interviews.

Archived