Premed 101 Forums

Difficulty of getting into MD schools AND DO schools in the US ??

medigeek

So I'm just gonna cut to the point. What's the approx. difficulty of getting into american MD schools and DO schools if applying from Ontario? I guess it breaks down into private MD schools, other MD schools and then DO schools.

So let's say you have a solid MCAT + solid GPA (like 3.8ish) + everything else solid. You are rejected in Ontario. With those stats, is DO practically a given 100% if everything else goes decent (interview, etc) ? Since DO is like 3.3 gpa for americans and im guessing more like 3.6-3.7 for canadians to get in?

I've also heard of someone getting into harvard med but getting rejected from uoft..lol.

And let's say hypothetically, you apply with those stats to every DO school that would accept canadians + every single MD school that would accept canadians, are the odds very good of you getting in somewhere? Or is it still overall as likely as it was in ontario?

So I'm just gonna cut to the point. What's the approx. difficulty of getting into american MD schools and DO schools if applying from Ontario? I guess it breaks down into private MD schools, other MD schools and then DO schools.

So let's say you have a solid MCAT + solid GPA (like 3.8ish) + everything else solid. You are rejected in Ontario. With those stats, is DO practically a given 100% if everything else goes decent (interview, etc) ? Since DO is like 3.3 gpa for americans and im guessing more like 3.6-3.7 for canadians to get in?

I've also heard of someone getting into harvard med but getting rejected from uoft..lol.

And let's say hypothetically, you apply with those stats to every DO school that would accept canadians + every single MD school that would accept canadians, are the odds very good of you getting in somewhere? Or is it still overall as likely as it was in ontario?

Assuming those stats you stated apply to you, for DO schools, essentially guaranteed ~100% (unless something unfortunate happens during interview(say) where you had uncontrollable diarrhea...)

MD schools... all bets are off.

I'm not sure what you mean by "everything else solid" but with those stats, I would say you could get into at least middle-tier MD schools if you apply early and broadly.

I've already been accepted to a DO school (waitlisted at another) and an MD school (a public school, at that) with a GPA well below 3.8. The thing about Ontario is that their admissions process involves a very strict (and relatively high) GPA cut-off. It doesn't matter what the rest of the application says, if your numbers are below 3.7 then you are automatically rejected from Western Ontario, for example, even before they look at the rest of your app. In the States, though, they give you a more holistic consideration of your application. So a stellar MCAT can make up for a not-so-hot GPA for example.

Assuming those stats you stated apply to you, for DO schools, essentially guaranteed ~100% (unless something unfortunate happens during interview(say) where you had uncontrollable diarrhea...)

MD schools... all bets are off.

what would be an ideally minimum gpa for DO schools? coming from Ontario

I'm not sure what you mean by "everything else solid" but with those stats, I would say you could get into at least middle-tier MD schools if you apply early and broadly.

I've already been accepted to a DO school (waitlisted at another) and an MD school (a public school, at that) with a GPA well below 3.8. The thing about Ontario is that their admissions process involves a very strict (and relatively high) GPA cut-off. It doesn't matter what the rest of the application says, if your numbers are below 3.7 then you are automatically rejected from Western Ontario, for example, even before they look at the rest of your app. In the States, though, they give you a more holistic consideration of your application. So a stellar MCAT can make up for a not-so-hot GPA for example.

everything else solid as in... ECs as good as an applicant that gets accepted in ontario, good interview, good letters, but basically you miss the cut by a bit or so.

everything else solid as in... ECs as good as an applicant that gets accepted in ontario, good interview, good letters, but basically you miss the cut by a bit or so.

If you just missed the GPA cut by a bit and you have a solid, well-balanced MCAT score above 30, then I would say you have a good shot at a decent American MD school. Be realistic; apply early and broadly. Do your research about each school before handing out the 2ndary fees and you should be fine. MSAR is a great source of info for this kind of stuff.

Mashmetoo can tell you all about the DO situation - he's an expert :)

Archived