Premed 101 Forums

How do people last out neurosurgery residencies (time length wise)?

I was just curious after reading that neurosurgery guys often do a ph.d in the middle of their 6 years? Especially at uoft apparently. So 3 years + 4 years for phd + 3 years for the rest of their residency... Assuming they went into med at 22, and graduated at 26... they'll be 36 by the time they're officially a neurosurgeon! And let's say they go for a fellowship, that age can turn into 38! Grand total of 20 years of education and training after high school...

How can some people handle something THAT long?

It's a calling apparently. To go through such a long course of study and call-hell to do but one of the many fields of medicine and surgery makes me think that the "calling" thing applies to NS more than any other field.

I have no idea how they do it either. I think they haven't become cynical before they applied to it, and probably either learn how to be optimists during the residency, or grumble through quietly.

What do you mean by calling? lol

and who starts med school at 22

well i guess they do...the ones on the left of the bell curve

**** im gonna be 27-28 at the earliest by the time i apply

so i would be 44 lol

pretty nutty amount of education for removing tumors!

isnt that the typical age anyway? Especially in canada with opportunity to start at 21 or so.

isnt that the typical age anyway? Especially in canada with opportunity to start at 21 or so.

Average ages are typically 23-24. At Dal, it's 24.

Just another thing to point out - after completing these 20 (!) years of education, you are stuck in a pretty crummy job market, too!

It's by far the most fascinating field in medicine. And that's the bottom line. People can say whatever they want about our field, but neurosurgeons know this is it. Period.

"I used to think the brain was the most wonderful organ in the body. Then I realized who was telling me this." - Emo Phillips.

Archived