Premed 101 Forums

stress in medical school

Honestly I don't think it's really productive to generalize by school, as they can't change the basic personalities of the people they admit. And in medicine, there are certainly *lots* of personalities! I've met awesome clerks and not-so-awesome clerks from across the country, but I think that speaks to the person, not the school.

We all think we have it the hardest, like it's some badge of honour, and that certain (minor) features at our own school must make it the best compared to other schools. Seriously, they're all good. It's up to yourself to stand out.

People have friends in other med schools. I happen to know quite a few people in 1T4. Beyond a doubt their life is harder than mine. And many other med schools across Canada. Most med schools don't have a consistent proportion of their students failing on every exam.

You're at Mcgill right? I thought McGill was pretty intense with lots of class time, dissection/histology and lots of clinincal in the last 5 months of preclerkship. That sounds pretty intense, but maybe it's not as bad as it seems?

I'm saying this based on my own and my family's experience. For many years, we've seen many doctors graduated from various schools. The ones that we found most competent are from U of T. By that I meant correct and precise diagnosis, ability to pin point and relieve/cure symptoms. They may not have the best bedside manner though that depends on the individual. I don't want to degrade doctors from other med schools because I'm sure there are good doctors from all med schools. It's just that, from our own experience we met quite a few incompetent doctors and coincidentally, none of them was from U of T. It could be the training and opportunities available to see more rare cases, U of T doctors just seem better.

Archived