Premed 101 Forums

*Semester off for Paramedic training?

Guest Ian Wong

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Mike

Date:***1/29/2001 10:51 am*PST

I am in my last year of high school, and wish to become a physician through the local University here in Newfoundland. I work as a Lifegaurd / Crewleader at a local pool, and have been training in many first aid / emergency service courses throughout my high school career. I am very interested in this type of work, and am considering taking the first semester off University to do a Level I Paramedics course at a local hospital (where the Medical school is located.) I volunteer at the hospital and also at the RLSSC (Royal Lifesaving Society Canada.) I'm hearing alot of different opinions about doing this, all the their pros and cons. Even though I don't want to be a Paramedic for the rest of my life, I would still like to have the training, and I'm told that it would look good on my Med. application. Is this a good idea?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Mike

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*dl

Date:***2/16/2001 10:51 am*PST

I don't know much about this, but I don't think it would be looked upon negatively at all. I think being a paramedic would be a great thing to have on your application. Obviously that is just my opinion, but I see only good in doing that.

Good luck!

• 1 year later...

hi

i'm thinking about being a paramedic but I dont know what courses I need before I finish high school or what college or university I should go to that offers the training

thanks a lot Jo

Guest medicator007

I have been a paramedic for the past 6 years now (gosh time flies) and I can tell you that it is some of the most rewarding and eye opening work that someone interested in medicine can do. Prior to my work I always had an interest in becoming a doctor and after my paramedic experience I came to understand what treating patients is all about.

Anyone looking for further information about becoming a paramedic is invited to email me personally at medicator007@hotmail.com

Cheers!

Guest guest

Buddy, go ahead and take that semester off and do your training. You will meet some docs there that will be able to give you your reference letters for medical school and being a paramedic can't look bad on your application, plus, if med doesn't work out, which I am not saying it won't, (Don't let me discourage you), it would be something good to fall back on. Just thinking of the rush of the lights and sirens makes me want to go into that field.

Guest bad hombre

Yeah definitely go and do it if that's your thing, it sounds really exciting.

however, remember to do thigns because you LOVE the work, not because you think it'll get you into meds

Guest PeterHill0501

Would volunteering with paramedics as a medical student be considered appropriate to satisfy the requirements of an elective? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Peter

Guest medicator007

Peter,

I can't comment on a nation-wide scale, but I can tell you what I know about the province of Quebec. As a paramedic I have had numerous Students of various different levels, Residents or those in clerkships come to do shifts with me on the ambulance. In fact, prehospital rotation is mandatory for anyone in the emergency medicine residency in Montreal.

I dont know if this is the same elsewhere, but I can't see why it wouldnt be!

Guest medicator007

I agree wholeheartedly with Bad Hombre, when he says that you should only go into paramedicine if you truly love the work, not simply to get into medicine. It is a demnading field and only a true love for the job can help you get through it. I would advise doing a few ride alongs with a local squad before you take the plunge of a full paramedic course.

And as for the rush of lights and sirens, that lasts for about the first 2 months, after which it is quickly replaced by the frustration of incompetent drivers not yielding the right of way!

Cheers!

Hey Mike, its nice to hear from you. I am a P-I at present and am currently completing my P-III training. I have been accepted to medical school for the upcoming year. Being from the Maritimes like yourself, I might be able to offer you some advice.

I had thought about medicine in high school and university, but still wasn't quite sure when I finished university. I think its a pretty important decision, around which you need to have some amount of certainty. I decided to take the paramedic program that was run in Halifax at the time. I then worked for a couple of years before returning to P-III school and writing my MCAT.

The experience was eye-opening and definitely helped me gain the necessary perspective of what working in health care was like, the role of a physician, and helped me decide with certainty that medicine was for me. Also it was a great back-up plan and something I plan to continue throughout medical school on my summers off. I can't wait to practice. Oh, medical schools don't frown on paramedic training. Its not your golden ticket into med school either. Work hard at gaining an appreciation of all allied health workers while you practice, this will help you tremendously and will give you a lot to talk about during your interviews.

My advice would be to complete your P-I training (at the health science centre I assume) and then start your undergrad. You could work casual on weekends or during the summer. Also, you might want to consider an undergrad outside of NFLD where your scope of practice might be broader. But, I am very aware than NFLD is making progress in this area and I expect great things soon.

007: do you practice as a P-I (Primary Care Paramedic)or P-III (Advanced Care Paramedic)?

Talk to you later.

Hey Mike. I also wanted to mention that I also know a lot of paramedics that have tried to get into med school unsuccessfully. So keep in mind that the experience of that isn't enough to get in. All the other factors including Undergrad. GPA, MCAT, extracurriculars, work experience, personality, maturity, etc. come into play just as they do for all other applicants.

To anyone else considering this route, paramedicine isn't for everyone. Its really something you have to be passionate about and genuinely interested in. Its not all fun and games.

Good luck to you!

Archived