Premed 101 Forums

Any native meds/applicants out there?

Guest Raven

Guest tommygirl

Hi Raven,

Just browsing your post and thought to offer some info:

1) Most Canadian schools reserve positions for native applicants above and beyond the 100,120 (whatever) standard postions for UGME 1 (undergrad med ed year 1). Most of the time--due to lack of applicants-- these spots go unfilled.

Therefore when you apply, at best (and very probable) , you are not completing for this position with anyone else or at worst, against 2 -3 other applicants. You are NOT up against the entire pool like everyone else.

2) Positions to native applicants are allocated based on %'s of "most native", (ie. 100% native vs. great-great-grandfather was a halfie). Therefore, if 2 students are close they will give the position to the person #1 vs #2 (reading between the lines of your post-- I think this is another + for you).

I am almost positive UA and UC do this, so I wouldn't doubt that other schools follow suit.

3) Also, Native applicants who don't get in are wait-listed and carried over to the next year-- this does not happen to regular applicants (as I am sure many of our friends on this board can attest to :) ).

Anyway, apply, apply, apply. (To lots of schools all over Canada). I can almost guarentee you will get in.

BTW, it's O.K. to have doubts-- we all do. That's part of opening yourself up to this very dicrimminatory, intensely scrutinzing process.

Guest tommygirl

Hi Raven,

You are very welcome. I am rooting for you.

Some additional points (I reviewed your original post):

1. It seems to me that your only drawback (possibly) is a partial courseload. You should have minimum of 2 full years (aka 4 consecutive semesters with 5 courses each) to apply. The years do not have to be consecutive, although they may have to be within the same degree program. (In fact, I am pretty sure it does. Maybe check on this.)

2. Your age is not a drawback. In fact, it could be assest: special considertation is given to mature students (ages 30+).

Tutor,

I did apply this year... right now I'm in that limbo where both my interviews are done (U of A, U of C), my MCAT is written and my exams are over... the next two weeks are going to be the first so far where I'm not working on my chances of getting in... there's just nothing I can do at this point!

I will know on May 10th wether or not I've been accepted/rejected/waitlisted at Calgary, and not until July will I know about U of A.

How about you...? Which schools did you apply to this year?

EB

Archived