Premed 101 Forums

Scholarships given for undergrads who publish?

Dr.Doom

Has anyone on this forum heard of scholarships that are rewarded to undergraduates who have been extensively involved in scientific research and obtained co-authorship on academic publications?

I have heard rumours of such scholarships but have unfortunately been unable to find any.

If anyone could share, that would be greatly appreciated!

As far as I know, the answer is no. Grad students don't even get awards just for publishing. A lot of people publish, and it's starting to become more popular for undergrads to publish so I'd be very surprised if there was an award for this. If there is, it would be for a primary author paper - certainly not a co-author one.

Undergrads can SOMETIMES find travel funding to present their work at international conferences. Again, there's nothing official, but sometimes student groups will give you some travel cash if you ask and they deem you worthy.

That said, a co-author paper probably helps your chances for a summer NSERC which is kind of like an award.

forget a summer nserc, this gets really advantageous when applying for grad school nserc funding, especially with the tax free status you can make some dec cash (35k tax free) while you pick up a masters (and if you do it in something valuable, i.e. psychometrics, stats, in demand engineering fields, this gets even sweeter, sometimes i'm tempted to get a masters in social psych or psychometrics to have a couple years of guaranteed salary where i can do something cool, and have fun and party, before i eventually grow up (maybe, kind of)), lol... plus those are valuable masters when coupled with a jd, and social psych is honestly the most powerful empirical discipline in psych, it's like stats, predicting individual behaviour is difficult, but group behaviour is so much more likely to regress to the mean most of the time)!

the nserc isn't really valuable as a scholarship (it works out to like 11 bucks an hour on a 40 hour week), but it is a statement to get one and really makes grad nserc applications more likely to be successful!

As far as I know, the answer is no. Grad students don't even get awards just for publishing. A lot of people publish, and it's starting to become more popular for undergrads to publish so I'd be very surprised if there was an award for this. If there is, it would be for a primary author paper - certainly not a co-author one.

Undergrads can SOMETIMES find travel funding to present their work at international conferences. Again, there's nothing official, but sometimes student groups will give you some travel cash if you ask and they deem you worthy.

That said, a co-author paper probably helps your chances for a summer NSERC which is kind of like an award.

forget a summer nserc, this gets really advantageous when applying for grad school nserc funding, especially with the tax free status you can make some dec cash (35k tax free) while you pick up a masters (and if you do it in something valuable, i.e. psychometrics, stats, in demand engineering fields, this gets even sweeter, sometimes i'm tempted to get a masters in social psych or psychometrics to have a couple years of guaranteed salary where i can do something cool, and have fun and party, before i eventually grow up (maybe, kind of)), lol... plus those are valuable masters when coupled with a jd, and social psych is honestly the most powerful empirical discipline in psych, it's like stats, predicting individual behaviour is difficult, but group behaviour is so much more likely to regress to the mean most of the time)!

the nserc isn't really valuable as a scholarship (it works out to like 11 bucks an hour on a 40 hour week), but it is a statement to get one and really makes grad nserc applications more likely to be successful!

Can't get 35K as a Master's. NSERC, CIHR and SSHRC are about $17,500 for a Masters. OGS in ontario is 15, and AIHS in alberta is 20, but they no longer fund MSc work. Add in some TA hours to a tri agency award and some smaller awards and you can get around 28 (I got that). Even as a PhD, the tri agency awards are normally $21,000, unless you get one of their elite versions which are 35K or 50K. As a PhD you can get additional funding from grants though. For all major awards, they typically don't let you accept more than one. Play your cards right, excel in research and you'll make money in a PhD.

wow, i stand corrected, have there been drastic cuts recently (the last time i worked in a lab was 3 years ago)? 17.5 k is pathetic for an outstanding candidate! and i definitely know people that were getting more 5 years ago... ! you can usually get a second award, but they restrict it to a top up (25 percent value or a max dollar value).

Can't get 35K as a Master's. NSERC, CIHR and SSHRC are about $17,500 for a Masters. OGS in ontario is 15, and AIHS in alberta is 20, but they no longer fund MSc work. Add in some TA hours to a tri agency award and some smaller awards and you can get around 28 (I got that). Even as a PhD, the tri agency awards are normally $21,000, unless you get one of their elite versions which are 35K or 50K. As a PhD you can get additional funding from grants though. For all major awards, they typically don't let you accept more than one. Play your cards right, excel in research and you'll make money in a PhD.

wow, i stand corrected, have there been drastic cuts recently (the last time i worked in a lab was 3 years ago)? 17.5 k is pathetic for an outstanding candidate! and i definitely know people that were getting more 5 years ago... ! you can usually get a second award, but they restrict it to a top up (25 percent value or a max dollar value).

Yeah, I mean you COULD get 35K as a master's, but it's unlikely. With the way things are now, one is lucky to even get the 17.5 from the feds. Moreover, the MSc tri agency awards are only for one year, so one must be resourceful for their second (or first) year. And yes, you can get a second award, but you're often restricted to a small percentage of it - usually works out to about 25-30K for the average above average MSc student (as a side note, you can't get more than one tri agency award regardless of percentages, so that reduces funding availability quite a bit. Now for PhD's yes 21 is low as base rate, but there are many more opportunities for PhD's to get other awards too, so PhD's can make more if they are productive, high grades, extra activities etc.

Archived