Premed 101 Forums

23½ hours: What is the single best thing we can do for our health?

tooty

Good video. Love the style in which it is done.

I've be interested in a discussion on this. Exercise, even mild, is extremely important and I don't think anyone can deny this.

In my travels though (not being a Doctor or anywhere close to this) I've determine three of the biggest things people can do to improve their health are: don't eat sugar; don't eat gluten; and and eat more fats (yes, even saturated fats).

But, the biggest factor to improving health is: don't be poor. No joke. Poor/low income people as a group as the unhealthiest people.

But, the biggest factor to improving health is: don't be poor. No joke. Poor/low income people as a group as the unhealthiest people.

you're right but what you wrote is a little misleading. you can't give a poor unhealthy people money and expect their health to improve. rather, the two are merely correlated. that is, some of the reasons they are poor are the same reasons they are unhealthy. and unfortunately we don't do any good by telling patients to earn more money.

telling everyone to walk 30 minutes a day, however, would motivate more people.

ditto, protein shake, with lots of of low glycemic index fruits, with anti-oxidant phytonutrient powder, plus a couple table spoons of omega 3-6-9, b vitamin complex powder, some almond milk, and a tad bit of juice: golden... processed sugars = **** yourself up

also, all my groceries are raw fruits, veggies (no canned or frozen anything), nuts, meat, almond milk and crap loads of high end supplement powders from nutrition shops for shakes... buying groceries cost like 3 times more than if i were to get a box of processed chicken fingers, bread, tomatoes... which could feed me for 3 days, i was actually in the check out and remember something a public health doc told me, that the health care budget needs to be cut and the money invested into preventative measures, so you don't have to do that 130 thousand dollar bypass

Good video. Love the style in which it is done.

I've be interested in a discussion on this. Exercise, even mild, is extremely important and I don't think anyone can deny this.

In my travels though (not being a Doctor or anywhere close to this) I've determine three of the biggest things people can do to improve their health are: don't eat sugar; don't eat gluten; and and eat more fats (yes, even saturated fats).

subsidizing healthy foods at the grocery store would be a start, they offer free city gym passes to low income people, but you'd never know it, since it's so poorly promoted... there's a bunch of stuff you could do that focuses on savings rather than hand outs

you're right but what you wrote is a little misleading. you can't give a poor unhealthy people money and expect their health to improve. rather, the two are merely correlated. that is, some of the reasons they are poor are the same reasons they are unhealthy. and unfortunately we don't do any good by telling patients to earn more money.

telling everyone to walk 30 minutes a day, however, would motivate more people.

Archived