Premed 101 Forums

financing american med school

qkx

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the old thread bump. If things don't pan out this year for me I'm strongly considering the D.O. route (Mashmetoo I accept your word as gospel:D ).

The biggest hindrance to me is figuring out the financial situation. I am married and have an infant daughter, so I'm not going anywhere without minimal financial risk, and adequate funding while I'm in school. Thus, the DO route provides me with minimal financial risk (I'll have a job when I'm done, not cursed with IMG status), BUT how to fund it while I'm there.

Scotia and TD have raised their LOC limits for medical school to 250k, which is still not enough for me to comfortably complete a DO degree basically anywhere in the US. Add in student loans, and we're still not hitting the mark.

SO, my question! Has anyone successfully gotten TWO lines of credit? I.E. could I go to Scotia and TD and get a LOC from each? That's potentially a huge debt, but with the salary potential afterwards I don't think it'd be unmanagable.

To be clear I'd definitely be applying for scholarships, working if possible, my wife would get work if possible as well (if she could get a work permit)- but I wouldn't leave anything to chance- I'd want the LOCs as a security blanket.

Sorry for the old thread bump. If things don't pan out this year for me I'm strongly considering the D.O. route (Mashmetoo I accept your word as gospel:D ).

The biggest hindrance to me is figuring out the financial situation. I am married and have an infant daughter, so I'm not going anywhere without minimal financial risk, and adequate funding while I'm in school. Thus, the DO route provides me with minimal financial risk (I'll have a job when I'm done, not cursed with IMG status), BUT how to fund it while I'm there.

Scotia and TD have raised their LOC limits for medical school to 250k, which is still not enough for me to comfortably complete a DO degree basically anywhere in the US. Add in student loans, and we're still not hitting the mark.

SO, my question! Has anyone successfully gotten TWO lines of credit? I.E. could I go to Scotia and TD and get a LOC from each? That's potentially a huge debt, but with the salary potential afterwards I don't think it'd be unmanagable.

To be clear I'd definitely be applying for scholarships, working if possible, my wife would get work if possible as well (if she could get a work permit)- but I wouldn't leave anything to chance- I'd want the LOCs as a security blanket.

:D

The total amount you can get will still be capped at 250k even if you did get 2 lines of credit. The banks will check your credit history, and can easily tell that you are offered another loan at another bank. The way to get around that is to get some kind of co-signer, e.g., parents with assets that the bank can come after in case you can't make the loan payment. I have heard talk of people getting 350k of credit - Canadians doing USDO, I suggest heading over to the SDN pre-osteo forum - check out the DO for Canadian 2011-2012 thread.

I know it's been talked about pretty extensively but I am hoping some one can also provide a clearer picture.

I have accepted at an American DO school and need some major loans to pay tuition/living expenses. Will I be able to get ~250k either from one bank or two with a cosigner?? My parents don't mind co-signing and we both have good credit but I definitely don't want to ask them to put their house up for collateral to act as a second mortgage.

Any advice or past experiences is appreciated! Thanks!

I know it's been talked about pretty extensively but I am hoping some one can also provide a clearer picture.

I have accepted at an American DO school and need some major loans to pay tuition/living expenses. Will I be able to get ~250k either from one bank or two with a cosigner?? My parents don't mind co-signing and we both have good credit but I definitely don't want to ask them to put their house up for collateral to act as a second mortgage.

Any advice or past experiences is appreciated! Thanks!

Either. You can get 250k from 1 bank, or a combined 250k from two banks.

when we are getting LOC.. are we getting the LOC. as in is it under our name or our parents.

do parents need to be involved in the LOC matter.

cause if not, than we can get 2 Loc that way.

It's under your name. But you need a cosigner. Your LOC gets capped at around 250k, so you can potentially get it from multiple banks for a combined LOC of 250k.

Your cosigner only cosigns, your cosigner can't get a Med LOC, only you can. You are stuck with ~250k (unless co-signer has collateral, in which case, I've seen a guy get it up to 350k).

If you talk to someone who actually knows something at a bank to do with the situation, they can do overages about the standard rate as long as you can prove/disclose the estimated costs of attendance. You DO NOT need to go to two banks for separate credit lines. If you comb back a few years for threads about financing, you will see that I was in the process of securing a Medical School LOC of $320k from RBC at the same interest rate offered to CDN students. Of course, the whole amount has to get secured by cosigners (even if it is just the Cdn max). My parents could secure me for the majority portion of it, but had I gone through with going to the US, I would've had to find one additional cosigner to cover the remaining amount.

Bottom line, tell your banks you REQUIRE more than the amount offered to students in Canada, due to Immigration/school req's. It will require upstairs approval, but it should be possible.

Archived