Premed 101 Forums

Same specialty, two interviews same day?

iheartmed

Hello everybody,

I have a quick question for you all. I have two offers to interview at two programs on the same day. Just to be specific they are in the same specialty. I was called first thing in the morning by one program to confirm that I will be attending. I confirmed and immediately called the other program to let them know of the conflict. They essentially told me "too bad so sad".

I had no idea how interview days were booked and called CaRMS just to vent that if they must schedule two interviews on the same day at least make it a weekday so I can find the flights I need to make both. They stated that one of the programs would be contacted as this is a violation and they were unaware. They told me bottom line is that they will have to make an accommodation for me. I'm a bit stressed by this, I would feel more comfortable having the extra interview. I haven't heard anything back yet....just curious how others have resolved this situation.

Thanks

I had the same situation last year and both programs told me to make a choice and would not budge. It was incredibly stressful and I resorted to posting on various boards asking if someone would be willing to switch dates with me, since both programs had alternative days. I got a response and was luckily able to switch the dates, but overall it was way too stressful. Good luck, hope you can work it out in your favour.

That sucks. It's usually administrative staff who set these things up and are so non-cooperative. the docs may have no idea it's happening.

On the other hand, I would remember the reply of the program when it comes time to put in a rank order list. A generally accommodating program willing to work WITH residents/students, rather than dictating to them can be a real asset during residency. An inflexible uncaring program can make your life hell.

Thanks guys. I am so frustrated by this. There are no other times to interview and it's impossible to go to both. If they do accommodate me it's obvious that I'm not prioritizing them. I feel a little bit like a kid in a divorce :P

It is very strange that they cannot all just line up properly but I have noticed quite a few specialities on the CARMS schedule have the potential to have conflicts - many due to timing or distance couldn't be resolved. Annoying!

Urology does it by far the best. Everyone (interviewers and candidates) flies to Toronto in Feb. ALL interviews for every program in the country are done the same day, then afterwards everyone heads out for food and drinks.

Best system ever. I never figured out why other small specialties don't do it the same way.

Urology does it by far the best. Everyone (interviewers and candidates) flies to Toronto in Feb. ALL interviews for every program in the country are done the same day, then afterwards everyone heads out for food and drinks.

Best system ever. I never figured out why other small specialties don't do it the same way.

1) Don't want to spend money for sending interviewers to another city - why when you can get debt-ridden students to shell out cash to get to you?

2) See how "committed" the candidate is

1) Don't want to spend money for sending interviewers to another city - why when you can get debt-ridden students to shell out cash to get to you?

2) See how "committed" the candidate is

and the candidates cannot see the program on site that way I guess - you cannot meet all the residents, see first hand things, have an extended socializing time with the people there, and I suppose see the city as well as you might end up living there for quite some time :)

I think I prefer the meet in one place approach but I think it has flaws as well. If I remember correctly neurology does it that way as well.

and the candidates cannot see the program on site that way I guess - you cannot meet all the residents, see first hand things, have an extended socializing time with the people there, and I suppose see the city as well as you might end up living there for quite some time :)

I think I prefer the meet in one place approach but I think it has flaws as well. If I remember correctly neurology does it that way as well.

That's what electives ae for. In urology pretty much everyone who matches to a program has done an elective there (or rarely a site visit). The match lists by the programs are largely known prior to interviews, as well as rank order lists.

You all ready know what the program you will match to is like, prior to interviews, since you likely spent 2 weeks there on elective. In larger specialties that are less competitive this may not be true and therefore traveling around the country might be more desirable.

But let's face it, you will have done electives in the places you want to go. You know what they are like. And is the short interview exposure going to significantly affect your overall rank order list? In the majority of people no, so all the travel is a big waste of cash.

Thanks guys. I am so frustrated by this. There are no other times to interview and it's impossible to go to both. If they do accommodate me it's obvious that I'm not prioritizing them. I feel a little bit like a kid in a divorce :P

I just want to point out that Carms is not just about how you present yourself to the program. Yes, you want to show your interest. But frankly, programs should be trying to impress you also, as they want the best applicants in their program. They should be worried that by not accommodating you, they appear uninterested and therefore may result in you ranking them less highly.

If there really is no way for them to accommodate. Then go to the place you want to go to the most, and forget about the other one. You don't want to be somewhere that treats you like that before you are even "in", how will they be once you are "stuck" there!

Hah. Interesting point, though my first choice program as recently as November had a disorganized program coordinator who actually screwed up a week of my elective. She has since (been) moved to another department and I got an extra week of elective just before the interview. So it may be more relevant to determine whether a program makes attempts to fix such issues than anything else.

That's what electives ae for. In urology pretty much everyone who matches to a program has done an elective there (or rarely a site visit). The match lists by the programs are largely known prior to interviews, as well as rank order lists.

You all ready know what the program you will match to is like, prior to interviews, since you likely spent 2 weeks there on elective. In larger specialties that are less competitive this may not be true and therefore traveling around the country might be more desirable.

But let's face it, you will have done electives in the places you want to go. You know what they are like. And is the short interview exposure going to significantly affect your overall rank order list? In the majority of people no, so all the travel is a big waste of cash.

hey that makes more sense with the restrictions on having to do an elective there first before likely matching. Urology is pretty competitive so that isn't too surprising I guess.

Archived