Premed 101 Forums

CCFP EM accreditation

jawad12ca

just got a question for you guys. I was looking into CCFPEM accreditation and it stated the following as the requirement for sitting for the EM competency exam.

- Successfully completed an approved residency training program in emergency medicine

- Met the criteria for practice eligible candidates as determined by the National Board as set out in the regulations.

Now i understand the first condition, but Im confused about the second. Is it trying to say that there are ways of getting CCFP EM accreditation without doing the 1 year fellowship?

Yes, you can challenge the exam based on your experience working in emergency medicine.

http://www.cfpc.ca/EligibilityandApplication/

1. The candidate must be engaged in emergency practice at a rate of 400 hours per year for the four-year period immediately prior to the date of application.

2. Candidates must have competencies in procedural skills related to emergency medicine, including cardiac and trauma life support, and have this documented by the director of their hospital emergency department or their medical staff superior.

past four year period?? This part is confusing. Do I have to be practising for four years or does this count as in residency as well. I'm planning on doing my family medicine residency from the U.S and planning on putting emergency medicine for all of my electives. Would those hours count? In addition to that, if I dont have CCFP EM certification, which hospital will hire me for me to get those hours?

• 1 month later...
past four year period?? This part is confusing. Do I have to be practising for four years or does this count as in residency as well. I'm planning on doing my family medicine residency from the U.S and planning on putting emergency medicine for all of my electives. Would those hours count? In addition to that, if I dont have CCFP EM certification, which hospital will hire me for me to get those hours?

from reading a lot about the CCFP EM and grandfathering in, I think you need to have worked in an ER for the past 4 years with 400 hours each (excluding your electives or whatever that went towards completion of a residency program).

Most typically this happens for a family doc who works in a rural hospital at the EM after receiving CCFP who wants to get the extra designation.

• 7 months later...

Archived