Premed 101 Forums

10 Reasons PhD students fail

a very well written article pointing to many good points, illustrating clearly why I couldn't imagine doing a PhD. The institutional nature of today's scientific establishment is so bureaucratic and rigid that it stifles imagination and creativity. It demands you to focus your energy on the wrong things. This is why we have stopped major scientific discoveries recently, something that people like Einstein would be surprised to hear given our technological capacity was undreamed of in his time. Instead of people being allowed to pursue genuine interests like the great minds did in their time, today's scientist has to ensure x number of articles read and 'y' number of articles published. This is known as 'publish or perish' among students, and that type of pressure is extremely counter-productive to discovery.

This article must apply to social sciences/arts rather than sciences. I only know of 1 person that 'failed' a PhD in sciences; and 4 kids and a sugar daddy kind of makes that happen quite easily. From my experience, those that don't finish a PhD quit it for any number of reasons.

• 2 weeks later...
That is all so very true. I really think that the only reason I finished mine was that exact right point in time I threatened to quit and meant it. And I wasn't afraid to piss a lot of people off - that helped, too.

Great post

I was same...sort of...

I asked to get the f out Asap as i was wasting my time

Helped my project accelerate for sure

Then back into the bussiness field

Ill also add that grad school/master is a whole waste of time

Similar to undergrad a whole lot if research wss shoved down the throats of students

I adore the eu education system

Depends on the program.

Like for me, finishing a Master's would get me a well-paid job at the company I wanted to work previously, but couldn't... because I had no Master's degree. Plus I've learned some valuable tricks of the trade while doing grad school work... so it paid off in the end for me.

• 3 weeks later...

that's presumptuous :rolleyes:, masters and doctoral degrees are so heterogeneous you can't paint them all under a single brush, you'd be surprised at how much you can take away working in masters programs where research is aimed towards industry or practical use. just because everyone in pre-med does basic research doesn't mean that's all that exists.

You know they were just using you right

Below min wage lkng hour and submissive pressures to graduate

They had you in a ball and chain

Archived