Premed 101 Forums

Bsc, MSc, and now what? - looking for advice

Hello there,

With heavy heart I'm writing this, because I honestly don't know what anymore.

Time is flying fast with my colleagues moving on with their lives while I lie stationary, trying to figure out what it is the best thing to do. I've been completely isolated since leaving Uni, no employment with student debt and I honestly couldn't have guessed this life when I was at school ( it sound so much worse now that I've written it)

I've been premed for 7 years now (it sounds so pathetic now that I admitted.. haha). I'm in Ontario.

GPA 1:3.76

GPA 2:3.07 (I'm kicking myself for this, because I lost prestigious scholarship, lost my graduating with distinction - never take upper year philosophy class... just study by yourself)

GPA 3:3.64 (2 70s ruined my GPA, rest were in 80s and 90s)

GPA 4:3.85

cGPA: 3.58

wGPA: 3.65 --> Can't apply to Ottawa

Last 2 years: 3.74, but GPA from 3rd year is not above 3.7 --> can't apply to Del

Best 2 years: 3.8

For USA cGPA: 3.72 sGPA:3.74

Grad GPA: 3.9

Research 2 year MSc, 2 courses mandatory in first year, they were both in high 80s, which would translate into 3.9 in OMSAS standard

Written MCAT 6 times so the US is out of question - applied twice to 5 schools in total, (was limited because I have no English).

Reason why I wrote MCAT that many times? verbal.

I made cut offs for Bio, Physics and Writing R or S everytime I wrote it, but the verbal was always sub-par. I cried so much, Why couldn't I just get 11? I must have completed all the verbal practice there is out there, but even with all that effort and years.... 10 was when .

I was so sick of writing it, because I wrote 6 times... Anyway ended with 10 for V (at this point, I was just studying verbal only) and thought I couldn't do it anymore...:(

Physics: 9

Bio: 11

Verbal:10

Writing: R

Finished MSc last year, I thought I would get a decent research job (applied during my MSc), but no. I really speed my thesis process and finished by June last year - graduated October.

I am too ashamed to contact previous supervisors I worked with during summer undergrad either. I have no one to turn to academically, or ask for help.

My supervisor? he is out of country - thus no lab, I don't think he liked me much anyway. I haven't heard from him since I asked for reference letter.

I applied to Canadian med school 3 times including this year and 2 times in US.

I also applied to Australian med school - had interview and got in. Paid deposit too, but now I am having a second thought (going through the hassle and causing inconvenience to my parents, and seriously jeopardizing myself financially and theirs (because they have to cosign) and being rejected by 2 institutions previously... I am truly shameless).

I don't know which options to consider now or if so...

I don't know which school I will have a good chance of getting into.

I've thought about OT and PT previously, but I don't know too much about it, I am not sure if it would be something I would enjoy forever with a room for more development.

Nursing, I am not sure if I will be cooperative... I realize I like being autonomous and rather discuss/listen others' opinion... not ordered around. NP? I think I'm too late for that route

optometry, Have to take ethics for waterloo and write OAT; I've talked to optometrist, I wasn't sure if they were satisfied with their job (1 from Hakim and 1 who owns her own clinic).

Pharmacy, I also think am late, and their application process is even longer. have to take phys chem and take PCAT

The thing is, since I finished my MSc early, I had time advantage, however I didn't want to spread myself too thin and try this and that because I would always yearn for medicine in the end. I feel like for someone with such strong conviction, taking those courses and preparing for other career would be contradicting my main purpose.

What I needed was money, because of the student debt, so I was applying for jobs everywhere from research to retail....there were not many positions, and I have no connection/relative experiences especially for retail.

self-employed currently...not making enough money to get by... for 7 months (making even less than stipend...I didn't think it was realistically possible lol), I am thinking now what.

I am interested in hearing others opinion because maybe I'm missing something... please...no insults. I am quite serious because I am having horrible thoughts these days and with stress, I'm terrible to my family whom I'm currently leeching off of.

U of T? I know many of my colleagues in research got snubbed off but 3rd and 4th year who volunteered in my lab were offered interview... I have no publication.

I've attended 2 domestic conference ( small, school conference that would not count) 2 other small conference held in different city - and 1 international conference. Author to my own poster/abstract only - no co-authorship (how do you get those opportunities anyway?)

First, sorry to hear about your struggles. But I do think you still have a chance to get into a canadian medical school, and you do have other options:

- starting a second UG to raise GPA up and obtain pre-reqs

- take the MCAT again (raise VR score), since there's really no limit to the number of times you can do it in Canada

- moving to another province or territory (whitehorse, calgary) and finding some basic work to do.

I think you can also work during your second UG to pay things off. By this time you should know how to handle your time and study habits, and you can also do it by athabasca (some other members can help you with that).

Again, chin up - there is still hope if you work hard in the near future.

Would you be able to work in Australia as a physician if you did your MD there? How hard is it to get residency? Would that be an option that you would take if available? Is your school there reputable and accredited? Do you know how hard/easy it is to get back to Canada? I've heard if you do family med, it's pretty easy to get back to Canada, but I don't know how true that is. I think if meds is really what you want to do, then that's your best shot. You have an acceptance already for there and you've been rejected everywhere else.

In terms of Canadian schools: With the VR score, UWO is out. Mac is a long shot, but possible, depending on your extracurriculars and such. The MSc will help a little at Mac. Calgary is similar to Mac (only look at VR and is a 3 year program) so that may be something to consider, although it's also a long shot as you'd be out of province so your GPA might not cut it (although they do use grad GPA!). UOttawa is out as you said, however, there might be a chance for UofT depending on your research productivity since they evaluate grad students separately. You said you don't have any publications and are done your MSc so that doesn't sound too good for you. Also, if your prof doesn't like you and isn't going to write you a ref letter (or it won't be a good ref letter!) that will impact your grad application. I don't know if you really stand out as exceptionally productive in the research field, so I don't think the UofT grad review will do much to counter your GPA. Did you take full courseloads every year? Do you get the UofT weighting formula at least? I don't know about Manitoba, but I know Alberta and UBC need an English. Dal and Queens needs a 3.7 GPA so that's out.

So chances in Canada are tough due to GPA and VR. I don't know what your EC's are like, which could make the difference for some of those schools that are borderline. The MSc will help you somewhat, but not enough to make up for the low undergrad GPA.

To really increase your chances, best step would be redoing an undergrad and getting 3.8+ (minimum 2 years). I know with student debt this may be impossible and it's a time commitment you may not want to make.

If you're not willing to go to Australia nor do another undergrad, then I think it's job hunting time. Take time to really investigate all the other careers out there in the medical field. If you write the DAT, you could do dentistry? PT and OT are great jobs and if you research them more maybe you'll like them? You could even do 1 or 2 year college programs for medlab tech or massage therapy?

I know this situations really suck. I wish you the best! I think you seem like a hard working individual (you finished your MSc pretty quickly!) that has had some bumps on the road!

hi lovestruck,

is queen really out? I thought they looked at best 2 years... actually I thought I would have the most chance with queen's...

They look at cGPA or LAST two years, not best two years. Western does best two years. OP would have 3.745 with last two years, which would actually let him apply (usually there cut-off is 3.7) but his successfulness depends on his EC's and what there MCAT cut-offs will be. So your right, he could apply.

ya, last 2 year is exactly 3.74.:eek:

Yes you could do Queens. What are your extracurriculars like? And it will also depend on there MCAT cut-offs this year.

Remember, just because you are over the GPA cut-off does not mean you will be interviewed! 3.74 is on the low end of the spectrum, so MCAT (which depends on there cut-offs) would need to be good as well as EC's.

Hey momo,

From your post, it looks like you're pretty upset about everything. I think the first thing I would try to do is take stock of what's good in your life. Getting into medicine in Canada is pretty brutal and it can be easy to beat yourself up over mistakes you've made in the past.

But you've got a number of positive things going on. First, aside from second year you have quite a strong GPA. Dropping your second year you're at a 3.75GPA which is very good. You're obviously hard working and intelligent! And your MCAT score is actually quite good - the only school your MCAT (probably) excludes you from is Western. But your score makes the historical cutoffs at many schools across the country. In fact, you scored roughly in the top third of test takers on all four sections of the exam.

So step back for a minute - you have lots to be proud of.

Getting into medicine in Canada is a capricious and arbitrary process, to say the least. But from what I can tell, you should have chances of getting interviews at Calgary, McMaster, Toronto and Queen's (based on historical cutoffs). If your extracurriculars and letters of reference are good, you would probably get an interview or two.

One thing you might consider is doing a 5th year of undergrad. This would marginally increase your chances at McMaster, and if you did well (3.9 or greater), you would become eligible for Ottawa. I'm not sure how Dalhousie views 5th years, so look into that.

And lastly... it's never too late to do anything. I was accepted to meds earlier this year and I'm almost 30. So don't worry about what your friends are doing. Just do what is right for you and it will work out in the end.

Hi momo,

I'm a premed for awhile too so I understand how frustrating and deflating this whole process is. Having said that, you are actually in much better shape than most pre-meds chance wise. The hardest mistake to fix is gpa and trust me, alot of premeds would kill to have a gpa like yours. This forum represents a very small percentage of all applicants and so don't underestimate your chances just because many posters have crazy gpa and resume. If you have good research productivity, you'll have a good shot at Toronto. If you can find a job in Alberta, you'll have a good shot at both Calgary and UA.

Last but not least, I know money is an issue and at this age, it's inevitable for you to think of yourself as a financial burden to the family. Maybe have a talk with your parents? Tell them what your plan is and why you are so persistent to pursue after your dream. And like what simpy said, don't compare yourself to your peers. Everyone has different issues to deal with and some people are simply luckier or smarter than others. Life is never fair - it's a matter of how to play with the cards that you are dealt with and it will work out eventually. Hang in there!

Any interest in law school? You have the GPA to get into Osgoode at york, just write the LSAT. A lot of people feel like you when they are pre-meds. If you want my advice, resist the temptation to do a low level "med-related field" like NP, PT, OT, PA--now that I am a resident, I am terrified that I once considered these lol, they are low-respect, low-control, low pay (IMO of course). If I were you, I would try to avoid having a closed mind because you have been trying for meds for so long. If I were you, I would pursue a law degree (or an MBA) and continue to apply to meds.

Because honestly, short of doing another undergrad, it seems to me you have done all you can, right?

Keep your head up, I really do feel for you. Avoid the med tunnel vision (and avoid lower med-related fields!) and there actually is hope. Your post really struck a cord with me, reminded me of how I felt (truely hopeless about my direction in life) in the year I tood b/w undergrad and my md.

OP, you seem to be in a chronically distressed state with how things have gone over the past few years. I'm going to disagree with what others have said with regards to doing more school.

I think one of the best ways for you to feel better about your circumstances is to obtain some sort of closure; going to school with no guarantee about prospects at the endwill not do this. There's a number of ways you could achieve this: school in Australia, start an accelerated nursing program and become an RN (guaranteed job) or push real hard and get a stable job and continue to apply year after year.

Momo55,

I really feel for you, and as others, sense a level of desperation in your voice. This has always been my fear and warning for those that pursue medicine without any concurrent Plan B. To pursue medicine without regard a fall back plan is very dangerous because it is so hard to get in and now unfortunately you find yourself lost because you have not planned for the possibility of never getting in and are scrambling for ideas. This is not a lecture just a fair warning for others out there who have the strategy of "medicine or bust" ... because when it goes BUST than you end up where you are. Again I am not trying to be mean but just wish people would have a fall back plan all along so you never find yourself where you are

I do not agree with 'GoLeafsGoChris' as I think people could be happy with the so-called 'lower level med-careers' as long as they continued to pursue their dream of medicine. These careers are satisfying positions though each has its own limitations and frustrations, whether it be pay, less autonmony, hours, respect, etc. I would argue that people are often attracted to medicine for a number of reasons and if those reasons include working with improving peoples' health and health knowledge than law wouldn't really work as an alternate career. If income was a primary attraction for medicine than a person should gravitate away from the health professions as most fulltime health professionals make between 50-80k and NPs make 85-100k, so you will not be making 200k like an MD. Having said that being a lawyer doesnt guarantee you a high income. You do have to work your butt off if you are to make a good income in health, this year I worked 55-60hrs consistently and made in the low-100k. It would be a lot better for my life balance if I could work 40-50hrs and make 175-250k.

So to Momo I say find out what characteristics that appeal so much to you about medicine that you have pursued medicine to the exclusion of everything else. Find alternative careers that have these characteristics and pursue this concurrently with your ongoing pursuit of medicine. So my advice is to pursue plan B with as much fervor as you have medicine as your future may depend on it if you never get in. I think you will eventually get in based on your stats however long will it be?

Beef

To lighten the atmosphere a bit I would like to present my advice to those that may find themselves in a similar situation Momo55, which I have learned when I was 8 years old .... if you are ever lost in life and do not know what to do with yourself or what to do next it is best to go straight to a bar and find an old man, he will provide you with a quest.

This should provide you with something to do or achieve for th enext while until you will need to seek more information from him.

I learned this from the Legend of Zelda as an 8 year old boy. :D

Z

Hello there,

With heavy heart I'm writing this, because I honestly don't know what anymore.

Time is flying fast with my colleagues moving on with their lives while I lie stationary, trying to figure out what it is the best thing to do. I've been completely isolated since leaving Uni, no employment with student debt and I honestly couldn't have guessed this life when I was at school ( it sound so much worse now that I've written it)

I've been premed for 7 years now (it sounds so pathetic now that I admitted.. haha). I'm in Ontario.

GPA 1:3.76

GPA 2:3.07 (I'm kicking myself for this, because I lost prestigious scholarship, lost my graduating with distinction - never take upper year philosophy class... just study by yourself)

GPA 3:3.64 (2 70s ruined my GPA, rest were in 80s and 90s)

GPA 4:3.85

cGPA: 3.58

wGPA: 3.65 --> Can't apply to Ottawa

Last 2 years: 3.74, but GPA from 3rd year is not above 3.7 --> can't apply to Del

Best 2 years: 3.8

For USA cGPA: 3.72 sGPA:3.74

Grad GPA: 3.9

Research 2 year MSc, 2 courses mandatory in first year, they were both in high 80s, which would translate into 3.9 in OMSAS standard

Written MCAT 6 times so the US is out of question - applied twice to 5 schools in total, (was limited because I have no English).

Reason why I wrote MCAT that many times? verbal.

I made cut offs for Bio, Physics and Writing R or S everytime I wrote it, but the verbal was always sub-par. I cried so much, Why couldn't I just get 11? I must have completed all the verbal practice there is out there, but even with all that effort and years.... 10 was when .

I was so sick of writing it, because I wrote 6 times... Anyway ended with 10 for V (at this point, I was just studying verbal only) and thought I couldn't do it anymore...:(

Physics: 9

Bio: 11

Verbal:10

Writing: R

Finished MSc last year, I thought I would get a decent research job (applied during my MSc), but no. I really speed my thesis process and finished by June last year - graduated October.

I am too ashamed to contact previous supervisors I worked with during summer undergrad either. I have no one to turn to academically, or ask for help.

My supervisor? he is out of country - thus no lab, I don't think he liked me much anyway. I haven't heard from him since I asked for reference letter.

I applied to Canadian med school 3 times including this year and 2 times in US.

I also applied to Australian med school - had interview and got in. Paid deposit too, but now I am having a second thought (going through the hassle and causing inconvenience to my parents, and seriously jeopardizing myself financially and theirs (because they have to cosign) and being rejected by 2 institutions previously... I am truly shameless).

I don't know which options to consider now or if so...

I don't know which school I will have a good chance of getting into.

I've thought about OT and PT previously, but I don't know too much about it, I am not sure if it would be something I would enjoy forever with a room for more development.

Nursing, I am not sure if I will be cooperative... I realize I like being autonomous and rather discuss/listen others' opinion... not ordered around. NP? I think I'm too late for that route

optometry, Have to take ethics for waterloo and write OAT; I've talked to optometrist, I wasn't sure if they were satisfied with their job (1 from Hakim and 1 who owns her own clinic).

Pharmacy, I also think am late, and their application process is even longer. have to take phys chem and take PCAT

The thing is, since I finished my MSc early, I had time advantage, however I didn't want to spread myself too thin and try this and that because I would always yearn for medicine in the end. I feel like for someone with such strong conviction, taking those courses and preparing for other career would be contradicting my main purpose.

What I needed was money, because of the student debt, so I was applying for jobs everywhere from research to retail....there were not many positions, and I have no connection/relative experiences especially for retail.

self-employed currently...not making enough money to get by... for 7 months (making even less than stipend...I didn't think it was realistically possible lol), I am thinking now what.

I am interested in hearing others opinion because maybe I'm missing something... please...no insults. I am quite serious because I am having horrible thoughts these days and with stress, I'm terrible to my family whom I'm currently leeching off of.

U of T? I know many of my colleagues in research got snubbed off but 3rd and 4th year who volunteered in my lab were offered interview... I have no publication.

I've attended 2 domestic conference ( small, school conference that would not count) 2 other small conference held in different city - and 1 international conference. Author to my own poster/abstract only - no co-authorship (how do you get those opportunities anyway?)

Dentistry?!

Are you sure America is completely out of the question? I think you have an OK GPA and and OK Mcat for America. apply early (as soon as amcas opens up in june or july), get your 5-6 letters in very early, and hope for the best.. also, you say you don't have english. why don't you use this winter semester and do 2 english courses. American schools don't really care about how many courses you are doing in the year. Just do the requirements which is 2 english courses and apply in june and hope for the best. You can still enroll into many university winter semester courses because they just started.

If Canada is indeed out of the question, then I think you can definitely get into America. I am not in a med school and haven't even applied yet, but from what I have read, you should be getting into American schools if you apply to 20+ schools and apply as soon as amcas opens up.

you have waited this long, just spend this semester to do 2 english courses and spend one more year at it?

also, if you want Med this badly, wouldn't going to Caribbean also be an OK idea? you just need to kill/destroy the USMLA when you get back.. and judging from how badly you want it, Im sure you will do fine in that test..

I agree with the other posters - I am in a similar position as you and you honestly have quite GOOD GPA and MCAT scores... try not to get discouraged (hard, I know). The best thing you can do is try, and try again. Research other health-related fields (maybe even volunteer in some of them). Who knows? You may end up finding something you think is really awesome, even if it isn't medicine.

On a personal note, I also wanted to ask advice from other students on here as I am in a similar position as the poster (sorry for "hijacking" your thread, wasn't my intention, I just felt like reading your post it was like reading about my own life at the moment).

This is my 3rd time applying to Canadian med schools, I'm in the process of finishing my M.Sc. in Biology now. I've applied to, all of Ontario, Calgary, Sask, Newf., and Manitoba. I didn't take English, Physics or Stats in my undergrad so that limits me for some schools.

My GPAs:

Seneca - I went to college for 2 year diploma program, as far as I know only Newf. & Calgary use ALL post-secondary grades. My first year was crap, but second year was great, 3.7ish.

Undergrad:

Yr1: 3.69 full year

3.90 supplementary (I did extra summer courses since I didn't get a full years' worth of credits from college)

Yr2: 3.58 full year

Yr3: 3.38 full year

cumulative GPA: 3.57 (OMSAS)

M.Sc.: ~3.9

One publication, PLoS Genetics

I did the Honours B.Sc. in 3 years instead of 4 (due to college credits). I also really hate that OMSAS scale, since I feel very proud of myself that I didn't get less than a B in university (especially after some serious personal struggles at the end of high-school/first yr of college), yet when I enter my grades I see a measly 3.57 staring back at me.

MCAT (here's where it gets sad!)

2007: 09 PS, 09 VR, 11 Bio, S

2008: 06 PS, 09 VR, 11 Bio, Q

2011: 09 PS, 08 VR, 09 Bio, M (d'oh! not sure what happened with the writing sample here!)

I did volunteer in a hospital but it was a number of years ago. Most of the other stuff on my application is extra-currics, TAing, current M.Sc. research, lots of other work (being a cashier), one conference I attended, and "volunteering" things like running my supervisor's lab for nearly a year while she was on sick leave.

I also applied to Physio at McMaster (only one that didnt require stats), so that's sort of my "backup" right now. I also don't want to go out of the country (personal reasons, my parents are getting older, and I'm really the only one around at the moment to help them). Nursing is something I'm not interested in at all, based on my volunteering experiences, I really don't think it's for me.

I also realize that places like NOSM, Mac, Calgary won't use my grad grades or add extra "points" to my application until I finish the M.Sc., so applying next year once I'm done may be another option. It's just depressing since as a TA, I see student after student get in on the first try, and I'm approaching 30 this year. I know that's not old at all, but after all the schooling I've done I want the next school I get into to lead to my career. I love doing my M.Sc. right now (my professor is incredibly awesome), but doing a PhD doesn't interest me at all either. I don't want to teach, and I'm not sure if I want to do research for the next 40 years.

I haven't looked into Dentistry at all, although that's another possibility. After the horror of the MCAT, the thought of taking the DAT scares me a bit.

I suppose I just want the opinions of others on here. I feel quite deflated at the moment... Maybe it's the fact that it's 3:30am and I'm tired... Maybe it's that I've gotten rejected from Calgary and Manitoba already...

I apologize for rambling and just as a final note, again, thank you to all the kind people on here keeping up the positive words, good luck to the original poster, those grades and MCAT scores sound quite good to me!

Yes you could do Queens. What are your extracurriculars like? And it will also depend on there MCAT cut-offs this year.

Remember, just because you are over the GPA cut-off does not mean you will be interviewed! 3.74 is on the low end of the spectrum, so MCAT (which depends on there cut-offs) would need to be good as well as EC's.

Another thing about Queens: If you're a grad student, if you meet the minimum MCAT, but have a GPA slightly below the cut-off they will still consider you and send your file for review by a separate committee who will decide (I swear I read that on their website somewhere earlier today, but I can't find it at the moment - when I do I'll post the link). So I think the poster has a good shot there.

Also what about Saskatchewan? They use grad grades too in addition to your 2 best years. If you have more than 9 M.Sc. credits they use your grad grades as one full year of undergrad marks. I also think you have a good shot at Calgary (again, they use grad grades).

To lighten the atmosphere a bit I would like to present my advice to those that may find themselves in a similar situation Momo55, which I have learned when I was 8 years old .... if you are ever lost in life and do not know what to do with yourself or what to do next it is best to go straight to a bar and find an old man, he will provide you with a quest.

This should provide you with something to do or achieve for th enext while until you will need to seek more information from him.

I learned this from the Legend of Zelda as an 8 year old boy. :D

Z

Was somewhat disappointed with Skyward Sword. Not worth the 4 year wait from the last Zelda.

Thank you very much for all your kind word and advice, I'm trying to figure out the next step from here.

Real beef, I'm not sure what your intentions are whether it is to just insult me because you are bored while feigning care. I would really appreciate if you keep your life lesson learned from when you played your game back when you are 8 years old to yourself.

KOT thanks, you seem to be in most similar situation as I am, may I ask what your plans are and how you've arrived to that conclusion? I'm interested to hear from it.

All the others, I really appreciate your sympathy, I will keep you posted.

Sincerely,

Another thing about Queens: If you're a grad student, if you meet the minimum MCAT, but have a GPA slightly below the cut-off they will still consider you and send your file for review by a separate committee who will decide (I swear I read that on their website somewhere earlier today, but I can't find it at the moment - when I do I'll post the link). So I think the poster has a good shot there.

Also what about Saskatchewan? They use grad grades too in addition to your 2 best years. If you have more than 9 M.Sc. credits they use your grad grades as one full year of undergrad marks. I also think you have a good shot at Calgary (again, they use grad grades).

Your queens answer:

http://meds.queensu.ca/education/und...duate_students

This is regarding graduate students who do NOT meet the GPA cutoffs. Note the following:

Graduate applicants that have met the MCAT requirements but not the undergraduate GPA, will be reviewed separately, by a subcommittee of the Admissions Committee, from the general pool of applicants.

-Applicants must have completed their graduate degree by the August 1 prior to the commencement of medical school;

-Marks for undergraduate years must be considered satisfactory or demonstrate a rising trend;

-The subcommittee will assess the suitability of the candidates performance and if the graduate degree was completed at an accredited university;

-If the subcommittee determines that the applicant is suitable, they will be invited for an interview.

Keep trying for med but don't put your life on hold for it, and certainly don't concentrate on things that you think might be relevant to "health sciences" just because you think it will help you in the application process.

I think this is really important. Keep applying, but find something else you actually want to do in the meantime and do it. Don't do a PhD. It's a horrible experience even if you're doing it because you think you want to be a professor (made me realize that wasn't what I wanted to be).

I know quite a few people who are in similar situations to you, and they put their lives on hold, doing year after year of extra undergrad classes (when their grades were fine to begin with - more undergrad is a good plan if your undergrad grades aren't high enough to apply, but yours are), expensive MCAT courses when their scores were already decent (don't waste excessive amounts of time and money for one more point), and an endless string of random activities that they think will get them in to med school. It doesn't work and it only makes people miserable and adds to their student loans. Figure out what else you might be happy doing (without any regard to what it would look like on an application, because if you find a career that you like that will look a lot better on your application than doing something because you think med schools want you to do it), and do that, and keep applying.

And apply to every school you meet the requirements for, even if you think (and other people tell you) that you have no chance. You mentioned UofT - do you meet their requirements? Then apply! Don't worry about what your chances are. That was what I did (not UofT though), even though tons of people told me I wasn't competitive and that it would never happen, but I didn't listen to them and I got in.

Real beef, I'm not sure what your intentions are whether it is to just insult me because you are bored while feigning care. I would really appreciate if you keep your life lesson learned from when you played your game back when you are 8 years old to yourself.

Sincerely,

No ill intentions were meant with my 'Zelda' reference. In fact I gave you my opinion in the previous post to that and decided to turn on a little bit of light hearted humor in the next. Two years ago I went on stress leave due to a number of events crushing me (divorce, losing my house, growing indebtedness, social isolation in a small town after divorce, along with the concurrent pressures of FT work and grad school), during that time it was hard to stay positive but with some healing, spending time with friends/family and laughter worked well. In fact I would frequently stream comedy videos on You Tube for a couple hours every couple of nights. Certainly at first I wasnt much in the mood for comedy but once I unwound, had a few laughs it was much needed 'laugh therapy'. My intention hence was to get a bit of a giggle out of you if possible but I sense you are not in the mood :o

Anyhow, people have given you sincere advice here on many many alternatives that would be professionally satisfying and many of them financially satisfying as well. It all boils down to finding a concurrent career path that you can live with all the while reapplying to meds.

I did this ... I have one of those "lowly allied health careers" ... LOL ... that most previous posters have been warning you against. I am happy with my choice and would not want to be in dentistry or law ... I would have also been happy with physio or social work .... but these are all individual preferences. We all need to find our own path when medicine doesnt pan out as quickly as we would have hoped for so it is now your turn to find that alternative. My sincerity is not feigned ...as a non-traditional applicant myself I know the heart ache of multiple rejections and 'being lost' about my future in the future. I also felt a great sadness when a couple of years ago I had made my mind up that I was going to give up my dream of being a physician. So infact it is all sincere ...

Good luck with your time of reflection.

Beef

Archived