Premed 101 Forums

Are you a Yorkie Premed? (York Premed Discussion)

charmer08

Are you a Yorkie?  

205 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a Yorkie?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well no offense but I really don't want to be walking into a building or driving on a bridged designed by the guy in the structures course who received a grade based on 7 weeks of material being learned lol

Yeah. My sister said U of T are calling peope who are supposed to graduate in one by one asking them if they want to retake the class or take a cr/ncr.

Report from Thania V. from bargaining today:
Changes:
- indexation, employment equity, and return to work protocol
- unit 1: takes indexation language and incorporates it into CA - baseline for increase over which additional funding will be triggered will be sept 1st 2014, going forward for all incoming and in-program any raise from these rates it will be offset by increase in funding. Doesn't specify source of funding (could be more work during summer more GFA) but it's a guaranteed base of funding. Raise in 2014 remains and future increases are offset but doesn't undue increase in 2014. 10 hours/week maximum remains in place. Proposal applies equally to domestic and international. In exchange for giving model that looks like the one we put forward York want us to withdraw current grievance on indexation but lawyer says that's up to us to withdraw.
- How is it different from the freeze? Tuition freeze is still on the table. It's an enhancement to language in current collective agreement bc it closes loophole under old language but now threshold rather than being 2005 (1999) it is 2014. For domestic grad students in non professional programs there hasn't been a change since 1999.
- GFA: different from tuition indexation
- subcommittee convened to develop plan expeditiously to include lgbtq in equity
- unit 3: no compensation increase
- return to work: STAND BY

dyslexic twitter peeps...

See you today picketers. #YorkUStrike #CUPE3093

0 retweets3 favorites
 Retweet
 Favorite3
More

Come meet the #CUPEdogs at chimneystack and support walking in #solidogrity with #CUPE3093 #yorkustrike #weareuoft

@cupe3903comms Hope this meeting is going well, and you get a fair deal that your members are happy with! #CUPE3093 #BetterYork

In my eyes [having a mental illness] makes you a liability. If I were a patient I would rather have the doc who isn't mentally ill or has been in the past.

dis stigma. Bless that they're adding a psych section to the MCAT. I cannot believe that someone with this attitude wants to pursue medicine. 

Jesus. Who said THAT?

So disgusting.

A few presumably American premeds on **DELETED**.

More popcorn-worthiness:

What do you mean by "past battle"? Any genetic predispositions that make you vulnerable to mental illnesses don't just disappear, and episodes of mental instability (characterized by whichever mental illness that you have) can be triggered by stress. Medical school does create lots of stress. If you want to stay sane, you have to be able to deal with the stress. Furthermore, being a doctor isn't any less stressful. 

If you can perform as well as your peers and you can show that on your application, maybe the mental illness diagnosis was wrong. Maybe you just had poor study habits, then raised your grades when you improved your study skills. That likely correlates pretty strongly with SES, and it has nothing to do with a mental illness.

I didn't realize that mental illness was an academic death sentence. Sorry, random internet person. 

Mostly Americans lol.

When I was having difficulty in first year of undergrad (<3.0 GPA) every person on SDN more or less told me to give up. I asked for advice here and the vibes were so much more uplifting and helpful, eventually making me believe in myself and ignoring the cynical & ignorant people.

To be fair, a low first year GPA in the US does hurt more for american schools but I still don't think it rules you out of the game. And the comments I were getting were more personal rather than general (such as "you're not smart enough for med school", "you won't survive medical school", etc)

Archived