Premed 101 Forums

Are you a Yorkie Premed? (York Premed Discussion)

charmer08

Are you a Yorkie?  

205 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a Yorkie?

• Yes
    • No

I'm not getting carried away - relax.

It's one possible option if this strike is as shitty as it seems like its going to be. I like to be prepared for every shitty situation that comes my way. All of these options are on my "Doomsday" list. If shit hits the fan, I want to have a plan.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Newbie here (4th year bio), I have a question.

Drop-deadline is this friday. I was waiting for marks for a lot of my classes before i make my decision to drop,

courses are required to give you 30%. TAs are now not obligated to do crap...I'm conflicted, how do I know

whether or not to drop a course if I don't know how I'm doing. Unless the drop deadline changes...

Newbie here (4th year bio), I have a question.

Drop-deadline is this friday. I was waiting for marks for a lot of my classes before i make my decision to drop,

courses are required to give you 30%. TAs are now not obligated to do crap...I'm conflicted, how do I know

whether or not to drop a course if I don't know how I'm doing. Unless the drop deadline changes...

I don't think the drop deadline matters anymore. It's possible that the prof will mark the midterm if the class is small enough. I also think the scantron center is running so that should be okay. It's also possible that profs aren't allowed to mark tests because it's in the TA contract, I really don't know. Maybe shoot your prof an email? 

I'm sure we'll have a better idea in the next day or two. My adv biochem prof said that if we have final exams and we miss a lot of time, he's only testing us on pre-strike material. He said if we miss exams completely, our grades will be in the area of our first two tests (I took that to mean, if you're reasonably close to the next letter grade, you get the bump, if not sorry).

Take that with a grain of salt. It is his first year teaching, and I don't think he's allowed to give a grade for an incomplete course).

Apparently they cannot award you a credit if you don't actually complete the class. They'd simply give you your money back.

Which completely screws anyone hoping to keep a full course load.

They said people will still graduate on time!! how'd that possible?!

They said people will still graduate on time!! how'd that possible?!

All they said was that they are doing their best to make sure people graduate in a timely manner. Don't think that the administration cares about students beyond the money they make from us. York has never put the students first in any manner. Take for example crime on campus. University of Toronto Mississauga is in the most affluent community in Mississauga (and one of the most affluent in the country). They have campus police. We're known for sexuala assaults, armed robbery and shootings on school - we have security guards.

And York doesn't really have to care. The reality is they are the school for those with GPA issues compared to other Toronto based schools. They can afford to be dickwads because they know who their target audience is (not the best and brightest)

Not to mention the incredibly left wing student population. These students, mostly in the humanities, side with those on strike. The complaints are coming from the small number of science/engineering students and anyone who is supposed to graduate this year. People who are supposed to graduate are expendable in the sense that, they have invested too much to go elsewhere with their tuition money.

The only concern they have with regards to the strike is future enrollment. The last strike dropped enrollment by 10-15%. Those students are now at Ryerson.

Archived