Premed 101 Forums

Are you a Yorkie Premed? (York Premed Discussion)

charmer08

Are you a Yorkie?  

205 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a Yorkie?

• Yes
    • No

Now speaking of red-line issues, what is this LGBT equality crap? Is there language in any documentation that specifically excludes someone who is LGBT? Is there language that only applies to heterosexuals? 

I can't tell if you're kidding, do you realize how ape **** people go over LGBT people? The bartender at the place I was yesterday was trans ( I think) and you shoulda seen what people were saying about her.. like a monkey at the zoo sigh

Here's a better question, if it's so arbitrary why doesn't york just add LGBT to their equity policy? 

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is some talk now of trying to replace the bargaining team and executive team because there is a huge power struggle in the union. What a joke. This will be the worst strike in the history of the universe.

Does this mean the union's dissatisfied with the bargaining team's efforts? Maybe that's an indication that they're dissatisfied with york's offer and they'll vote to reject the deal? I selfishly hope the strike continues for like 2 weeks longer, I really need the time :'))

Does this mean the union's dissatisfied with the bargaining team's efforts? Maybe that's an indication that they're dissatisfied with york's offer and they'll vote to reject the deal? I selfishly hope the strike continues for like 2 weeks longer, I really need the time :'))

The ET voted that there will be no motions at the meeting tomorrow. Apparently they also voted to endorse the offer york presented. They will most certainly reject the offer. My concern is that there are some internal union politics that are driving extra tension within the union. This could be good if it significantly divides the union, but it would be bad if they refuse to accept an offer until the ET/BT are replaced.

It could be absolute shambles.

The ET voted that there will be no motions at the meeting tomorrow. Apparently they also voted to endorse the offer york presented. They will most certainly reject the offer. My concern is that there are some internal union politics that are driving extra tension within the union. This could be good if it significantly divides the union, but it would be bad if they refuse to accept an offer until the ET/BT are replaced.

It could be absolute shambles.

I don't get it, what does it mean that there are no motions tomorrow? If they voted to endorse york's offer, how will they most certainly reject the offer? 

I don't get it, what does it mean that there are no motions tomorrow? If they voted to endorse york's offer, how will they most certainly reject the offer? 

At most meetings, you can make motions and discuss them. This won't happen tomorrow. The execs voted to endorse the deal, but it looks like the general members are very strongly against it. I'm hoping a big showing from science TAs and pressure from execs can sway them. I'm about done with being on strike. I could use another week off, but if they dont accept now, I doubt it will end in the next 3 weeks.

For example, a motion could be put forward that instructs the BT to not bring an offer for ratification unless it meets minimum red-line positions by each unit. From my (limited) understanding of general member meetings for unions, it is unusual to make this a motionless meeting but what do I know.

Someone on **DELETED** claims that denying motions is fairly common as it ensures the meeting finishes in an appropriate time. I don't know about that.

Makes sense when you have regular membership meetings to begin but with this being the first since their last vote and the employer's offer it seems a bit odd?

Either way, I am still beyond shocked to see the exec recommending voting yes to this deal.

Anyone know what the split is between Unit 1, 2 and 3?

Even if Unit 2 votes for it what 5 of unit 1 and 3 would also need to vote yes for it to pass a simple majority?

Is it a simple majority? Cupe page said simple majority by unit. Not sure what that means. I'm taking it to mean that 2 units must ratify.

Oh yes, sorry. It IS a simple majority in each unit. You're right! Good catch.

Just for clarification, if 2 units ratify and 1 does not, that is sufficient for it to go through? A simple majority in each unit seems like all 3 must vote in favour.

Just for clarification, if 2 units ratify and 1 does not, that is sufficient for it to go through? A simple majority in each unit seems like all 3 must vote in favour.

The language that I am seeing is a simple majority by members in each unit. Not fully sure though but am checking...

Archived