Premed 101 Forums

UofT Interview discussion - 2012

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:eek: you are like a ...machine... a grad student God...

How is it possible to have 7 papers? (Msc right?)

My situation is I did 2 years of master, wrote a thesis in Intro +paper + Discussion format and I'm not sure when it will get published. Supervisor was optimistic about coming out in paper, but not in hurry... so I doubt it will get published this year or next....possibly 5 years later I think at the rate.

I so envy you right now.

I did a lot of work in those two and a half years..... remember these aren't ALL first author papers. 3 are, the rest aren't. I had 2 papers published when I graduated / put in my thesis. I work in medical imaging research so I had a lot of opportunity for collaboration but also I won a few grants myself and worked really hard. I'd be in my lab till 4am some weeks working on my invention because I really believed it in and wanted to prove my supervisor wrong (who said it would never work).

And sorry again for any misunderstanding guys my interview is MD/PhD and from what I understand, we are all in March....late march. I'm not putting the exact date for fear of any ad-coms reading this knowing exactly who I am :P

I was in the Pretty big lab myself but there were no collaboration projects between grad students. It was pi and pi collaborators that were included in every single official stuff. People that I've never met or was aware of too lol. I remember spending weekends, staying lab everyday until 11 pm or 2 am lol. I feel like my work was all in vain. I am incredibly envious of people who's work counts. Good job once again. You deserve to be md/phd not just some undergrad

:eek: you are like a ...machine... a grad student God...

How is it possible to have 7 papers? (Msc right?)

My situation is I did 2 years of master, wrote a thesis in Intro +paper + Discussion format and I'm not sure when it will get published. Supervisor was optimistic about coming out in paper, but not in hurry... so I doubt it will get published this year or next....possibly 5 years later I think at the rate.

I so envy you right now.

Don't give up. I feel your pain. Where exactly is the hold up? Sometimes the holdup is with the PI but sometimes its with the journal sending back a slew of unreasonable corrections. If the PI is slow to send it out, maybe have a talk with him, decide upon the journal and then go back and reformat the paper to the specifications of the journal. Most PIs can't really afford to be lazy in this economy, if they have a paper ready to go that needs minimal imput from them they will most likely send it out. 7 publications is amazing! But numbers don't tell the whole story. You need to consider the field, the type of research, the number of authors and the impact factor of the journal. The work required for one high impact paper is equivalent to several low impact ones. Your referees know the amount of work that you've put in, they can vouch for you.

A good friend of mine received an invite yesterday.

He frequents the boards, but doesn't post.

I'm just putting this on, because their hasn't been any movement on the boards lately.

I'm not going to post his stats either, for obvious reasons.

But hope for the rest of us!

A good friend of mine received an invite yesterday.

He frequents the boards, but doesn't post.

I'm just putting this on, because their hasn't been any movement on the boards lately.

I'm not going to post his stats either, for obvious reasons.

But hope for the rest of us!

Thanks for the info. Do you know when his interview date is?

Regrets 2:26 pm

4th year undergrad

wGPA: 3.97

MCAT: 9/10/11 S

ECs: 4 years varsity hockey, 5 years professional hockey, 2 years cancer research (1 paper), hospital volunteering, coaching youth athletics, undergraduate thesis, rehabilitation volunteering, neighborhood outreach program etc.

Thought the essay would've been one of my stronger points. I guess there is always next year.

Good luck to everyone else!

Wow. That's too bad man, you sound like a stellar applicant. Pro-hockey??? Apply to UBC and put that in "High Performance in the Area of Human Endeavour"

I went into the admissions office about a year ago and asked what kinda stuff would fit into that category, and no joke their answer was "Well, if you were an Olympic athlete that would probably be a good fit for that category."

I was like... o___O

Don't give up. I feel your pain. Where exactly is the hold up? Sometimes the holdup is with the PI but sometimes its with the journal sending back a slew of unreasonable corrections. If the PI is slow to send it out, maybe have a talk with him, decide upon the journal and then go back and reformat the paper to the specifications of the journal. Most PIs can't really afford to be lazy in this economy, if they have a paper ready to go that needs minimal imput from them they will most likely send it out. 7 publications is amazing! But numbers don't tell the whole story. You need to consider the field, the type of research, the number of authors and the impact factor of the journal. The work required for one high impact paper is equivalent to several low impact ones. Your referees know the amount of work that you've put in, they can vouch for you.

Agreed. My friends in chemistry get only one paper for an entire PhD whereas my program requires at minimum three....don't beat yourself up. I got lucky to be in a very collaborative environment and my one co-supervisor gave me start up money to fund my own inventions on my off time which lead to two of my papers.....out of my own interest and time, not because of my lab or main supervisor.

Do you guys think they actually take your field into account when evaluating graduate degrees? In my program it was almost unheard of to publish something before the third year of your PhD unless you happened to have a groundbreaking Master's thesis.

I'm wondering this too... the PhD student a few years back in my lab didn't get anything until he was finished - 6 years later.

I guess it depends on how exactly they determine "research productivity". I assume it can't all be resting on publications. Not sure what else I could've put on my sketch to show how productive I've been other than my current M.Sc. project... :( I imagine your letters maybe have a lot to do with how "productive" you have been too?? :confused:

Archived