Premed 101 Forums

UofT Interview discussion - 2012

WTF??? This process seems totally random. Was your essay full of spelling mistakes? How else to explain U of T cutting the candidates above? Do you need some pathetic sob story in your essay to make the cut?

it's well known that uofT doesn't look at mcat above 9/9/9/n, so don't let the high mcat faze you. and stats (gpa) only tell one part of the story. ABS+essay is important too. It's my running theory that once you get to the 3.9s, especially the top 3.9s, it's not the extra 0.01s that get you in or out, but the other factors.

PLEASE

for my sanity

STOP making comments unless it is an invite or regret!!!

I keep thinking more invites/regrets have gone out!

3rd time this week my heart skipped beats for no reason :mad:

Thank you :)

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Canadian medical schools are way too competitive. They receive so many outstanding applications each year. The application pool is deep enough for admissioners to select students who have both high marks and excellent communication skills.

You can not blame anyone or any systems. Just blame the fact that life is unfair sometimes.

Agreed. There are just far too many highly qualified applicants for such few spots, which is why I applied to the US this year :cool:

Deb said that some files haven't even touched yet.. meaning that for the people who were not batched-rejected,it doesn't mean they haven't been assessed as 'non-competitive'. am I correct?

That's what I got from it. The 600 rejections were just for the files they'd done so far. Either means they haven't gotten to you, or haven't finished reviewing your file.

Deb said that some files haven't even touched yet.. meaning that for the people who were not batched-rejected,it doesn't mean they haven't been assessed as 'non-competitive'. am I correct?

:rolleyes:

Okay, here's how it works.

They are looking at the files one at a time.

First they will check if the one applicant's file meets minimum requirements.

If it does, they will give it a full review.

After looking at the ONE file, they will decide if it is competitive for an interview or not.

Then they will put it in a reject or invite pile.

Then they will move onto the next file.

If it is done in a batch, that is only for efficiency.

i.e. they will not email one person at a time. They might look at 50 files, then contact the 50 people. Look at the next 50 files, then contact those 50 people, etc.

So, there are still a whole pile of files that they still haven't gotten to yet to assess for meeting minimum requirements and competitiveness for interview. They'll get to it..when they get to it.

:P

Awww thanks :o It's really nice to have such a supportive group of people on these forums :) it really helps get me through all the rejections. And I'm so happy for everyone that got an interview. Hopefully I'll be an awesome comeback story with interview at both Western ad Uoft (**fingers crossed**)

:)

WTF??? This process seems totally random. Was your essay full of spelling mistakes? How else to explain U of T cutting the candidates above? Do you need some pathetic sob story in your essay to make the cut?

I'm under the impression that UT med admissions I literally blind to MCAT scores during file review, if they meet cutoffs. I heard of at least one other canadian med school that has a filter applied to cutoffs, where the only information made available to the office is whether or not cutoffs were, which prevents subconscious influences of seeing scores.

As holiday said, if that's the case, all that us PM101s see of relevance is the GPA and an outline of subjectively assessed ECs, which makes some of the invites/rejections seem a bit more reasonable.

:rolleyes:

Okay, here's how it works.

They are looking at the files one at a time.

First they will check if the one applicant's file meets minimum requirements.

If it does, they will give it a full review.

After looking at the ONE file, they will decide if it is competitive for an interview or not.

Then they will put it in a reject or invite pile.

Then they will move onto the next file.

If it is done in a batch, that is only for efficiency.

i.e. they will not email one person at a time. They might look at 50 files, then contact the 50 people. Look at the next 50 files, then contact those 50 people, etc.

So, there are still a whole pile of files that they still haven't gotten to yet to assess for meeting minimum requirements and competitiveness for interview. They'll get to it..when they get to it.

Are you sure this is right? I don't mean to contradict you but I've heard that they do the file review in batches of ten, and out of each batch pick the top two to get interviews.

Are you sure this is right? I don't mean to contradict you but I've heard that they do the file review in batches of ten, and out of each batch pick the top two to get interviews.

IMO, I don't think that is correct. As Deborah said they interview who they want to interview. That method just wouldn't make sense - for instance, what if they wanted to interview all of them or none of them. If that was how they did it, it would really depend on what batch you are in and then you are only really compared to a random 9 other people. Doesn't make sense to me, as I said this is my opinion - you make be correct but for my own sanity, I have to think it is not that random.

I don't think think this matters much, I was just wondering if it was like a first pass effect.

Ie, our chances are still the same despite the 600 refusals

I only reasoned it out after reading Deborah try to explain it a thousand times everytime she was asked through blog/comments..twitter...etc...

I don't work for adcom..so I can't say I am actually right.

And the batch of 50 was just an arbitrary number I chose to show as an example.

:)

I'm under the impression that UT med admissions I literally blind to MCAT scores during file review, if they meet cutoffs. I heard of at least one other canadian med school that has a filter applied to cutoffs, where the only information made available to the office is whether or not cutoffs were, which prevents subconscious influences of seeing scores.

As holiday said, if that's the case, all that us PM101s see of relevance is the GPA and an outline of subjectively assessed ECs, which makes some of the invites/rejections seem a bit more reasonable.

I agree, I think it is just a filter that gets through the MCAT+GPA cutoffs. And if you make the cutoff, then they won't look at your MCAT again.

And then they might look at the ones that didn't make the cutoffs separately to still give it some holistic treatment (because UofT does say they are not 'hard' with their cutoff, ex. VR 8 is still okay).

Every time there is movement in the stats thread, and I click with a thumping heart (expecting to see invites/Rs going out today), and I see someone commenting on something instead.............*heart failure*

I know right! You may have seen that my heart posted a semi-angry request to please stop teasing it. :o

anyone know what the cutoffs (for full file review) were for undergrads for previous years?

I have 3.86

should I keep hoping?

There's no "cutoff" for full file review. If your GPA and MCAT are competitive, they will do a full file review. In the past, they have stated that only ~1600 applications out of ~3000 were read completely (UT Med Admission Seminar, a couple years back)- it's assumed that the ones that weren't read completely were deemed as not competitive due to GPA, MCAT, ECs, letters... any combination of the above, who knows. Even if a file is given full file review, only ~1/3 would get interview invitations. I would suggest you forget about this, and focus on other things instead... you really have no idea when they will send you anything.

I know right! You may have seen that my heart posted a semi-angry request to please stop teasing it. :o

Yea I've tried to encourage the separation of stats and discussion into their respective threads for the sake of all our sanity but it's not working. I'm just going to assume any movement in the stats thread is discussion from now on haha

There's no "cutoff" for full file review. If your GPA and MCAT are competitive, they will do a full file review. In the past, they have stated that only ~1600 applications out of ~3000 were read completely (UT Med Admission Seminar, a couple years back)- it's assumed that the ones that weren't read completely were deemed as not competitive due to GPA, MCAT, ECs, letters... any combination of the above, who knows. Even if a file is given full file review, only ~1/3 would get interview invitations. I would suggest you forget about this, and focus on other things instead... you really have no idea when they will send you anything.

So only 1600 of 3000 have a gpa of 3.60 and/or mcat of 9 9 9 N? That surprises me (I guess if you applied without your mcat scores released yet).

From reading these kind of UofT threads over the years, I get the strong suspicion that the large part of their application process rests upon reading the essay blindly. It seems to be that the reviewers read the essay without knowing anything else about the applicant stat-wise, which would explain most of the rejections. On surface it's a great idea because it allows you to judge applicants without any bias and impressions that you might get from high MCAT/GPA scores. The only problem is that the essays areheavily edited and often don't represent the actual applicant.

If they really wanted a proper holistic approach hinging on this idea of blindly judging applicants, than they should substitute the essay for the interview.

Archived