Premed 101 Forums

UofT Interview discussion - 2012

Time Stamp 10:30 am

Rejection

GPA (weighted): 3.9

MCAT (PS/VR/BS/W): 10/9/11/Q (30Q)

Graduated in June 2011

ECs: a variation of things

Disappointed, I really don't understand what these schools are looking for and it is really starting to piss me off

Apply States side - your scores are strong.

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Regrets today.

GPA (weighted): 3.93

MCAT (PS/VR/BS/W): 13/11/12/Q (36Q)

Current fourth year undergrad

ECs: Research, clinical, leadership, international work, etc.

Just a word of support for everyone who received regrets today. I applied States-side concurrently this year and was accepted to Johns Hopkins -- so don't feel that a U of T rejection means you're non-competitive or that you won't be a good physician. Good luck everyone!

I'm in the same boat (still waiting for a word from Canadian schools), I wrote 9/9/12/S and have a weighted GPA of 3.88 and interviewed at Dartmouth (which is really spectacular if you get the chance to go to Hanover). Don't worry folks, it'll come :)

Why only 600? I would assume more than that didn't make the MCAT/GPA cutoffs... combined with the people whose files were already reviewed, the 1100 of last year made much more sense.

Keep in mind it's an ongoing process. They will continue to send out regrets and invites through March. Who knows...there may be another large wave of regrets coming in the next few days...

I think these rejection stats just go to show what an amazingly talented bunch of individuals med hopefuls can be. Sadly, there isn't room for all of us but if this is your aspiration as it is mine, then don't give up and don't take it to heart. We all know how hard everyone has worked for this :)

Sorry to hear about the rejections, that always hard to hear. Hopefully no one will be too discouraged to keep trying!

To everyone who's complaining about it though, remember that U of T places a lot of emphasis on your essay. They really want to understand your motivation for becoming a physician, and whether or not your personality fits someone who they think will be a positive addition to the medical community and will represent the field of medicine well. Probably someone who complains when they don't get their way, or who can't deal with negative feedback is not who they're looking for.

Sorry to hear about the rejections, that always hard to hear. Hopefully no one will be too discouraged to keep trying!

To everyone who's complaining about it though, remember that U of T places a lot of emphasis on your essay. They really want to understand your motivation for becoming a physician, and whether or not your personality fits someone who they think will be a positive addition to the medical community and will represent the field of medicine well. Probably someone who complains when they don't get their way, or who can't deal with negative feedback is not who they're looking for.

We are not complaining, we just don't understand where we went wrong. The problem is that there is no feedback, all they say is we regret to inform you that you have not been invited for an interview. A lot of us want to know why we haven't been invited. A lot of us spend a lot of time making sure we have a strong application and when we get a rejection it is frustrating/difficult to grasp. This system has so many flaws and avoidable stress, but no one does anything about it.

Even then, it's still a black box system as someone mentioned earlier. What aspects in the essay are they looking for? We may never know, because you can't subjectively say this person's motivations are better than that person's. And it's not that we can't deal with negative feedback-we definitely can. It's just about clearing up the process so we know where we messed up. Even when there are more than enough excellent applicants, as is the case here, decisions are still made and I think we should know the basis of those decisions-even if they literally are lotteries.

This is so baffling, I just don't understand. I haven't been rejected yet but from what I hear from Deborah's tweet (rejections based on not meeting requirements and not being considered competitive), I just don't understand...based on what some people are writing here I can't even fathom what they're looking for in applicants.

Hang in there guys, I'm sure your time will come soon.

Regrets

3.9+ weighted gpa, 14/11/15/S, 4th year traditional applicant, variety of fairly diverse and committed ec's, 2 summers research in organic chemistry and immunology, currently enrolled in a 4th year thesis project in immunology, u of t student specializing in immunology and major in organic chemistry.

Applied with a top heavy list of schools stateside and accepted at 3/5 interviewed schools (one was a fluke...I think...but still).

judging by the current interview status among my friends, I'd say that the braindrain will be especially bad this year.

I understand the frustration you must feel with your statistics. However, intelligence does not necessarily mean that you will be a good doctor. The personal essay is something that Toronto focuses on to make a determination as to what they want to see in a doctor. They also look at your personal essay and extracurriculars. I feel that this is actually a fairer process then just looking at grades and MCAT scores. In reality, people with your stats get rejected all the time. I must assume your essay did not stand out or your references were not strong.

I congratulate you on your other acceptances. At least you can carry out your dream and be a doctor.

It would take UofT a very, very long time to let each of us know specifically why we have been rejected. That's the nature of the beast. I'd personally rather them spend their time training our future physicians (I'm going to need one at some point!)

Keep your chins up!

Hi everyone,

It is true that they could set up some kind of feedback for applicants considering the time we put in, but also how much money they collect. They must be close to 500 000 dollars, so, or the process is just a business or the application process really costs a lot of money. I understand that there are a lot of applications, but that much more money. They could hire a few hands for a couple of months to help hard working students.

I am posting this on the UofT forum, but it could apply to most schools and especially US ones.

Hi everyone,

It is true that they could set up some kind of feedback for applicants considering the time we put in, but also how much money they collect. They must be close to 500 000 dollars, so, or the process is just a business or the application process really costs a lot of money. I understand that there are a lot of applications, but that much more money. They could hire a few hands for a couple of months to help hard working students.

I am posting this on the UofT forum, but it could apply to most schools and especially US ones.

I know some US schools do give some feedback. Mayo in particular was fairly helpful as to why I was rejected

I understand the frustration you must feel with your statistics. However, intelligence does not necessarily mean that you will be a good doctor. The personal essay is something that Toronto focuses on to make a determination as to what they want to see in a doctor. They also look at your personal essay and extracurriculars. I feel that this is actually a fairer process then just looking at grades and MCAT scores. In reality, people with your stats get rejected all the time. I must assume your essay did not stand out or your references were not strong.

I congratulate you on your other acceptances. At least you can carry out your dream and be a doctor.

I would say that all of these points you listed are null for someone who has otherwise obtained admission to another medical school, particularly a top-ranked American school. (The American application process is, in general, much more holistic and essay-based than Canada’s.) Rather, I’d wager that the current rejections have less to do with any deficit on the applicant’s part, and more to do with simply not fitting into U of T’s “mission” and the specific type of future physician it hopes to train.

There are some phenomenal, absolutely STELLAR stats posted here already. It makes me a bit nervous since I don't have stats even CLOSE to most of those posted already. I'm so impressed with all of you!

However, from my understanding, UT doesn't actually use MCAT scores in the evaluation process, do they? (correct me if I'm wrong here)

So it would seem that they use a much more subjective process in determining interview invitations than, say, Queens.

There are some phenomenal, absolutely STELLAR stats posted here already. It makes me a bit nervous since I don't have stats even CLOSE to most of those posted already. I'm so impressed with all of you!

However, from my understanding, UT doesn't actually use MCAT scores in the evaluation process, do they? (correct me if I'm wrong here)

So it would seem that they use a much more subjective process in determining interview invitations than, say, Queens.

Basically, as long as you make it over the cutoffs you'll be okay. Also, one score under the cutoff is also fairly easily overlooked. But it doesn't play a big role in the admissions overall

Archived