Premed 101 Forums

McMaster Global Health 1-year M.Sc. Program

Hey all,

Anyone have any familiarity/insight into the 1-year M.Sc. program offered by McMaster University?

http://fhs.mcmaster.ca/globalhealthprogram/index.html

Not too many 1 year programs around so I was looking into this one. I was just wondering how competitive it is to get into this program and if anyone has had any experience with it

Thanks

Hey,

I'm in the program currently. I think there were about 400 applicants for our year, and about 30 got in. Let me know if you have more questions :).

Can you explain the real differences between the course based and thesis based options. Will this selection make a difference in the selection process?

Any schools that put you into a seperate pool for Masters/PhD graduates in which research/publication is favored would put you at a disadvantage as you would not have produced any publications .... that is if you took a course based masters program (U of T comes to mind as where you would be screwed)

However in a med school like NOSM where you get awarded an extra 0.2 on your undergrad GPA would see you favorably ... as I guess it wouldnt matter what the length of yoru program is or whether you were productive from a research standpoint.

Beef

What are you going to do, if say you don't get accepted after your 1 year degree?

Just curious because there are disadvantages as well.

At least for me, I'm at a strange situation with regards to applications. My GPA is high enough for all Ontario schools, but my MCAT verbal section (9) screws me out of Queen's and Western and makes me very unfavored at McMaster. So, that leaves me with only Toronto and Ottawa as possibilities and these 2 schools are very competitive (particularly Toronto). There is also Dalhousie, but that is competitive for OOP students as well.

Out of province, my GPA is slightly below average for Alberta and Saskatchewan; just good enough for UBC and MAYBE Calgary. But, again, my verbal reasoning screws me out of Calgary and Manitoba.

Therefore, I'm not sure exactly what to do at the moment. If I do not get accepted this year, I'm not sure which direction to go towards. A second undergrad won't help, I'm not TOO keen on a 2-year Masters thesis program (I don't know if I can do lab research full-time for 2 years; maybe clinical where I'm interacting more with people, but that's very difficult to find), I could potentially re-write my MCAT and hope to shine in verbal this time around.

So, at the moment I'm looking for 1-year Masters programs and this one seems fairly interesting and will help me gain a lot of experience in health issues.

:confused: :confused:

Any schools that put you into a seperate pool for Masters/PhD graduates in which research/publication is favored would put you at a disadvantage as you would not have produced any publications .... that is if you took a course based masters program (U of T comes to mind as where you would be screwed)

However in a med school like NOSM where you get awarded an extra 0.2 on your undergrad GPA would see you favorably ... as I guess it wouldnt matter what the length of yoru program is or whether you were productive from a research standpoint.

Beef

Just wanted to correct one thing, Beef :)

Regarding UofT grad applicants with a course-based Master's: (from their MD Admissions FAQ section http://www.md.utoronto.ca/admissions/information/faq.htm#graduate)

6) Will I be at a disadvantage if I am in a course-based graduate program where I have no publications?

No. More weight will be placed on the course marks. Generally, an A average in graduate courses is considered competitive. Students are still required to send a CV, an up-to-date transcript (if applicable), and the additional letters of reference.

This was the case in my situation - my course-based grad degree grades were used as my "grad productivity" (mind you, I did have research outside of this).

-WB

Just wanted to correct one thing, Beef :)

Regarding UofT grad applicants with a course-based Master's: (from their MD Admissions FAQ section http://www.md.utoronto.ca/admissions/information/faq.htm#graduate)

6) Will I be at a disadvantage if I am in a course-based graduate program where I have no publications?

No. More weight will be placed on the course marks. Generally, an A average in graduate courses is considered competitive. Students are still required to send a CV, an up-to-date transcript (if applicable), and the additional letters of reference.

This was the case in my situation - my course-based grad degree grades were used as my "grad productivity" (mind you, I did have research outside of this).

-WB

Thanks for the update. Sorry about the misinformation. :o

Hey,

If med is what you really want, then rewrite the MCAT to give yourself a better shot. I had an 8 on VR on my first go and an 11 on the second, with no studying in between the two - it was blind luck. If you really know that a Master's is not what you want, then do not do it. I did not get in last year, and applied to the US this year (as you did too). I have really been up to nothing in my gap year, got kicked out of my hospital volunteering position, have no more clubs to enjoy because most of the ones I was part of were associated with uni, and quit my lab because I had a crappy project and jerky supervisors, but I am a happy guy and I would not be if I stuck with the stuff listed above. The gap year bit only came up in a couple of interviews in the US, and the way I explained it was spending time with family (grown up brothers leaving soon and I might be too if I get in) and exploring new things like glass artistry + cycling marathons, which I feel was not a bad answer. I do not think you need to shaft yourself with formal education or a job to make your time useful. If you do the global health master's, you probably know in your heart of hearts that as long as you are gunning for med, it is worthless to you and all it will be is a good excuse to explain that you were "gaining experience in health issues" post-graduation. If I were you, I would be persistent with GWU, call their office and stay in touch with update letters and so on.

Best of luck, man.

At least for me, I'm at a strange situation with regards to applications. My GPA is high enough for all Ontario schools, but my MCAT verbal section (9) screws me out of Queen's and Western and makes me very unfavored at McMaster. So, that leaves me with only Toronto and Ottawa as possibilities and these 2 schools are very competitive (particularly Toronto). There is also Dalhousie, but that is competitive for OOP students as well.

Out of province, my GPA is slightly below average for Alberta and Saskatchewan; just good enough for UBC and MAYBE Calgary. But, again, my verbal reasoning screws me out of Calgary and Manitoba.

Therefore, I'm not sure exactly what to do at the moment. If I do not get accepted this year, I'm not sure which direction to go towards. A second undergrad won't help, I'm not TOO keen on a 2-year Masters thesis program (I don't know if I can do lab research full-time for 2 years; maybe clinical where I'm interacting more with people, but that's very difficult to find), I could potentially re-write my MCAT and hope to shine in verbal this time around.

So, at the moment I'm looking for 1-year Masters programs and this one seems fairly interesting and will help me gain a lot of experience in health issues.

:confused: :confused:

• 1 year later...
Hey,

I'm in the program currently. I think there were about 400 applicants for our year, and about 30 got in. Let me know if you have more questions :).

Hi,

Did you do the course or thesis based option? In either case, how were the courses and Professors? I am pursuing a thesis based option and your feedback would be helpful. Thanks!

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I was wondering how to enhance my application for the MSc global health at Mac and any advice for the application this year?? I'll be applying this year and it's my number one grad program because I could really see myself workign with my degree if med school does or doesn't work out.

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I was wondering how to enhance my application for the MSc global health at Mac and any advice for the application this year?? I'll be applying this year and it's my number one grad program because I could really see myself workign with my degree if med school does or doesn't work out.

Hello! :)

No problemo (hijack...haha). Yes, the GH MSc program is also my transition stage as I strive to do MD/PhD in the future, so you are almost in the same situation as me. I recently got accepted for the two year thesis based program and I think I can give you some tips as to how I approached my application. The basic requirements (as from Mac website):

1. personal statement (PS)

2. personal CV

3. transcript

4. 2 LOR

5. online app

6. TOEFL (doesn't apply to most Cads graduating from universities taught in Eng)

The reason I am listing as above is if you are applying for the upcoming cycle, then what really matters now is your PS, CV, and LORs. Your grades from the 2013-2014 will count towards the minimum B+ requirement (assuming full course load). I spent a significant time working on my PS and CV to make sure they are both coherent and complimentary. My PS is very specific, justifying to the admission committee why I am a suitable candidate for the specific stream within the program (i.e. global diseases, development or management). I used 3 examples (1 from research, 2 from volunteer work) to demonstrate how I became interested in this particular subdivision of GH and how I hope to contribute later via the GH program at Mac. Your CV should be equally strong and you should arrange your experiences in relevant order (i.e. for me it was research, followed by related volunteer and work activities, and lastly awards/accomplishments). I got both of these edited from the academic and career center from my university as well s Profs, so I suggest you do the same. Chose your LORs wisely also, if you hope to do the thesis option then make sure one of the LOR is from your research supervisor (kinda obvious ahh...lol).

Btw, I made a personal appointment with Laurie Kennedy (admin for GH) prior to my application to talk about the program in person. I also got to talk to a former graduate student who, at the end of my meeting told me they are on the admission committee for my cycle (lol) and yea I guess this may have worked in my favor too! I was really interested in the program so I went the extra mile. I think they may also have a info seminar for GH, so inquire about that. I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions! Ok, I will stop writing now! :P

Hello! :)

No problemo (hijack...haha). Yes, the GH MSc program is also my transition stage as I strive to do MD/PhD in the future, so you are almost in the same situation as me. I recently got accepted for the two year thesis based program and I think I can give you some tips as to how I approached my application. The basic requirements (as from Mac website):

1. personal statement (PS)

2. personal CV

3. transcript

4. 2 LOR

5. online app

6. TOEFL (doesn't apply to most Cads graduating from universities taught in Eng)

The reason I am listing as above is if you are applying for the upcoming cycle, then what really matters now is your PS, CV, and LORs. Your grades from the 2013-2014 will count towards the minimum B+ requirement (assuming full course load). I spent a significant time working on my PS and CV to make sure they are both coherent and complimentary. My PS is very specific, justifying to the admission committee why I am a suitable candidate for the specific stream within the program (i.e. global diseases, development or management). I used 3 examples (1 from research, 2 from volunteer work) to demonstrate how I became interested in this particular subdivision of GH and how I hope to contribute later via the GH program at Mac. Your CV should be equally strong and you should arrange your experiences in relevant order (i.e. for me it was research, followed by related volunteer and work activities, and lastly awards/accomplishments). I got both of these edited from the academic and career center from my university as well s Profs, so I suggest you do the same. Chose your LORs wisely also, if you hope to do the thesis option then make sure one of the LOR is from your research supervisor (kinda obvious ahh...lol).

Btw, I made a personal appointment with Laurie Kennedy (admin for GH) prior to my application to talk about the program in person. I also got to talk to a former graduate student who, at the end of my meeting told me they are on the admission committee for my cycle (lol) and yea I guess this may have worked in my favor too! I was really interested in the program so I went the extra mile. I think they may also have a info seminar for GH, so inquire about that. I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions! Ok, I will stop writing now! :P

This is perfect, thank you so much. That was my plan all along, to spend lots of time on the application and PS, and I've had it at the back of my mind for a while, so just have to fit everything in that small amount of space (any advice regarding that?). That's great! I emailed them about inquiring more about the program, but I got no reply, so maybe I'll stop by or contact Laurie! I too actually plan to do MD/PhD if my GPA permits of course! I'm in a co-op program and I loved research, so it would be the ultimate dream if I can combine medicine and research, probably not for a few years, but I'm really interested in doing the MSc before pursuing a second undergrad, because I could really see myself working with it for a bit, if my dreams don't pan out right away.

May I possibly contact you in the future with any questions. I would really appreciate it!

Hello again! :D

I apologize for my delayed response (I assumed I will get notifications to this thread via e-mail regarding new posts, but i didn't :eek: ). In any case to answer your question, yes writing a condensed and concise PS was a challenge for me too. I think mine was approximately 700 words (a page and a quarter) from the original two page. I will send you a PM regarding my PS by this weekend. It's really awesome to hear you want to pursue a MD/PhD too, yay for physician scientists!

Getting a hold of Laurie at this time would be quite a challenge because she and the rest of the team are prolly super busy with sorting out acceptances, waitlist ect...so don't be disappointed! I emailed Laurie like two weeks ago and have not heard back either...lol. I think it's better to drop by if you really want to see her though!

You can definitely contact me anytime and I would more than happy to answer any questions as you really seem interested in this program! I think I can give you more info about the program in the Fall too once I have acclimatized to it myself. I will check this thread more frequently in case my e-mail notifications fail. I wish you all the best with both your med and grad apps, although it's bit too early in the cycle :P

• 11 months later...

Do you think that publications are important to be competitive into this program? I've done two summers of medical anthropology research and a 3-year long clinical ophthalmology one - no pubs, but poster and symposium presentations!

Great GPA, CV is entirely about underprivileged communities which I want to work with in the future, etc.

Any chance?

Do you think that publications are important to be competitive into this program? I've done two summers of medical anthropology research and a 3-year long clinical ophthalmology one - no pubs, but poster and symposium presentations!

Great GPA, CV is entirely about underprivileged communities which I want to work with in the future, etc.

Any chance?

I just got accepted for the 2014-2015 cycle, so I can't speak from my knowledge of what exactly the admissions committee is looking for, but based on my application, I'd say you stand a good chance, but hard to say. I finished my Bachelors in 2013 and since then, I've been heavily involved in clinical research. Participated in summer research programs during undergrad, got one publication out of it.

Your GPA in the final year is crucial, in addition to your personal statement and reference letters. I was surprised that I got an offer, but I believe that my personal statement and references were strong.

I just got accepted for the 2014-2015 cycle, so I can't speak from my knowledge of what exactly the admissions committee is looking for, but based on my application, I'd say you stand a good chance, but hard to say. I finished my Bachelors in 2013 and since then, I've been heavily involved in clinical research. Participated in summer research programs during undergrad, got one publication out of it.

Your GPA in the final year is crucial, in addition to your personal statement and reference letters. I was surprised that I got an offer, but I believe that my personal statement and references were strong.

Thanks for the input. I'm at around a 3.9 overall and I think I could pull in a lot of relevant material from my CV for personal statement. My references are also from my research supervisors (x2) and a professor I did a "perspectives on global health" independent study with this year. Hopefully it works out :)

Thanks for the input. I'm at around a 3.9 overall and I think I could pull in a lot of relevant material from my CV for personal statement. My references are also from my research supervisors (x2) and a professor I did a "perspectives on global health" independent study with this year. Hopefully it works out :)

That will benefit you, especially if you plan on applying for the thesis-based program. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm on the waitlist for the course-based program. What are my chances of getting in?

Also, if I were to get in, is it possible for me to finish the program before August next year if I get into medical school? (UofC starts at the end of July!)

I'm on the waitlist for the course-based program. What are my chances of getting in?

Also, if I were to get in, is it possible for me to finish the program before August next year if I get into medical school? (UofC starts at the end of July!)

I'm wondering the same thing...I doubt you can finish the program as early as July, but it all depends on the length of the practicum.

As for your chances, it's difficult to say. I have no idea how many they add to the waitlist. When were you notified about this? The deadline to accept the first round of offers is May 30, so I guess they'll send a second round of offers in early June.

I'm wondering the same thing...I doubt you can finish the program as early as July, but it all depends on the length of the practicum.

As for your chances, it's difficult to say. I have no idea how many they add to the waitlist. When were you notified about this? The deadline to accept the first round of offers is May 30, so I guess they'll send a second round of offers in early June.

Yeah, that's what I have heard.

I got an email yesterday from Admissions Committee telling me that I'm on the waitlist.

Archived