Premed 101 Forums

Who do you vote for?

Lunasly

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The best way is to go to each party's website, and each of them have a little section which says something like "our values" or something....if you click it it gives you a few bullet points of where they stand on everything. It helps you choose that way. So say...I dont know pick any issue... is environment important to you? The War in Afghanistan? etc etc each party will address these and you can see which one you agree with most :)

Oh and majority/ minority government is all about who has the most seats. Most of Canadian government sessions have been 'minority'. How this works is we currently have 308 seats that can be won. If the government party wins 50%+ they become a majority (so they have to get at LEAST 155 seats) if they do they become a majority government (majority of seats). if they get less than that they become a minority government (minority of seats).

The major difference is that a majority government can pass ANY LAW they want. Before they would have to 'talk' with the opposition. But now if the conservative government wants to pass a law where...I dont know...its illegal to buy ice cream on Sundays....the other parties can all vote against it but if all the conservatives vote for it its an easy yes and it passes into law.

Another problem/benefit of majority government is that government cant be dissolved so our next election wont be until 4 years after the last one. So this gives government more stability :P

Hope that made sense? If not feel free to PM me...I'm double majoring in law and political science :)

But democracy depends upon each of us. The dictatorships in the Middle East are being tumbled due to the individual acts of concerned citizens who are acting en mass. They put their lives on the line and continue to do so in Syria.

lol, I'm sure the citizens of Libya under Gaddafi couldn't stand free post-secondary education. Or maybe it was the free food rations given out-how dare the government do that. Either way, I know it had nothing to do with western powers trying to solidify a stranglehold over oil production.

It was the ripple effect of Egypt. And they did not appreciate living in fear, torture, etc. and having hope, they saw a window of opportunity. Of course, the West did help militarily, something they are not prepared to do in Syria.

The western military didn't only help, it instigated the whole thing

For Libya, I do not believe the west started the events of a civil war, but it could not have concluded as it did without them.

They choose where to intervene and often it has little to do with humanitarian considerations of saving a people. They pick and choose who they will help and politics plats a big role. Often Africans are left to themselves and genocides, mass killings or mass rapes are conveniently ignored. It is truly sad.

It was the ripple effect of Egypt. And they did not appreciate living in fear, torture, etc. and having hope, they saw a window of opportunity. Of course, the West did help militarily, something they are not prepared to do in Syria.

they are already going to invade syria (and iran). They just gotta keep dumping the war propaganda and get the general public up to speed.

W/o a Security Council Resolution, the world will sit & watch Syria.

If Iran goes too far with a military confrontation, they will invite military action.

Where was the the Security Council Resolution for Iraq? I know- there was none. However, Iraq and Libya coincidently happen to be the top 10 producers of oil in the world, as is Iran (Egypt, Syria, and the others aren't). What strikes me is that the crackdown in Syria and Egypt is far worse than what happened in Libya and Iraq.

money makes the world go round. And oil. It helps lots ;)

No one cares about humanitarianism. Its always just about the $$ Always has been and always will be :/

If Iran goes too far with a military confrontation, they will invite military action.

nahhh I dont think they will. :P As much as they want to. The US will never invade a country that has even the 'slightest' military ability to fight back on US SOIL. If you look at the US's history it has always been wars 'away from home' ....where people are angry about it and protest in the US but then get back to their every day life...ex. Vietnam....Korea...Afghanistan...etc etc

Also, in other news, Russia and China have expressed that "an attack against Iran would be a grave mistake" .... DUM DUM DUUMMMMMMMM

I'm really interested to see how world politics shapes up in the coming years! :D **grabs some popcorn**

Archived