Premed 101 Forums

Complaining about High School Teachers

thehumanmacbook

This isn't a post about me, but about my younger brother. If anyone has any advice or has prior experience with this, please post and share your thoughts or strategies.

My brother's currently in grade 10; and one of his english teachers, Ms. X, is one of the more veteran english teachers on faculty. She's known for her more erratic behaviour, showing movies (Donnie Darko, Ordinary People) to her class instead of teaching, and worst of all - low marks. She tends to also favour the arts stream students of the school more.

One assignment on the Catcher in the Rye, Ms X. allowed the class to come to her for feedback on their assignment. My brother went to her three times on separate occasions for feedback, and each time Ms. X provided comments such as "very good job" or "I don't see much wrong with it" or even one like "you're writing at a university level". This was good news to us, since my brother's not doing as well in her class, and maybe this would be a good confidence booster. The draft was not changed much from the final copy, and was submitted to turnitin taking into account the positive statements from Ms. X.

Today, my brother received the mark back for this assignment, and he received a 55%. The final copy was ladened with red ink, with "there's no thesis here" or "I think you plagiarized this statement here" or I don't understand what you're talking about here".

Not only are these comments frustrating, I feel like Ms X. was either deliberately providing misleading comments to give a poor mark, or was intentionally withholding what needs to be corrected. There was no issue alerted by turnitin regarding plagarism (according to the index score). But if you're a teacher and you care about improvement, why wouldn't you let your students know about what they should correct? Especially given the number of feedback sessions and the the three times she's looked over the essay, there was no instance of or even hint of these "errors". Why would any educator want to set their own students up for failure?

We're not too sure what to do, but we would like to issue a complaint with the school regarding this. My parents have hired an english tutor for more than a year to help with his homework, and I've also been travelling back home more often to help as well. My family and the tutor (who is also a teacher) are frustrated, angry, and disappointed. I was wondering - if any of you have complained to the school board before or petitioned a teacher, what's the best process to go about it?

It's not about the mark. It's about academic sabotage at the hands of someone who shouldn't be allowed to teach anymore.

My bro had a similar situation where he got a mark of 0 when it should've been well over 90. File a complaint repeatedly, threaten to go tot he school board with your complaints, see if you can gather enough students to also launch them, and lastly see if you can get a petition together. With enough noise, you might be able to get smoething accomplished.

Unfortunately, there are douchebag teachers out there. If your brotheris the only one to complain, it will fall on deaf ears, but if there are others in a similar situation, he will have credibility. Can he transfer schools?

We're looking into that at the moment for grade 11; but we're not sure if he can even pass this course now. He's very depressed and he's worried he won't be able to get into grade 11 next year with his friends.

Mac, before I say anything else, I just want to know if your family/your brother have talked to his teacher about his latest mark?

We're planning to write an email/call requesting a conference...but I just really hope it won't be antagonistic in nature (it won't help, the teachers are stubborn and backed up by a very strong union here in the GTA).

My bro had a similar situation where he got a mark of 0 when it should've been well over 90. File a complaint repeatedly, threaten to go tot he school board with your complaints, see if you can gather enough students to also launch them, and lastly see if you can get a petition together. With enough noise, you might be able to get smoething accomplished.

We will look into that if things reach to the point where bridges aren't just broken, but flamed and burned with explosives. There have been previous complaints before about Ms. X, but they've either been brushed aside because of tenure (she's been here for a while) or she "bumped" the class avg up at the end.

Make sure you first talk to her but make sure she KNOWS that this is something handled and treated heavily at home. Let her know that you are all helping him and you are not sure why this was not brought up sooner.

Make sure you start at a firm but polite level. If she is a *****. You can escalate to angry talking and accusing her of sabotage. If that doesn't work you can yell ;) But make sure you calmly explain the situation to her and hint that if she does not handle it you will talk to the principle and take this to the board - but that you would like it to not get to that. How is your brother doing in other classes? If he has good marks you should show them to her and say 'clearly the problem isn't with him' - especially if his english (teacher!) tutor is very happy with his work!

It is important that your brother remains strong and motivated. Things happen in life. Adaptability. flexibility are required to cope, survive and thrive. A family member, due to discrimination in another country, was not admitted into university despite being the top graduating high school student! He did menial factory work for years instead, eventually moved to another region of the country, got into university and today has two PhDs. Although nice to remain with friends, it is relatively unimportant in the scheme of things. Many of us faced detours and we had difficult challenges to overcome. Unfortunately, ealr on, your brother is receiving a life lesson. Who said life is supposed to be fair? We need to deal with unexpected issues to the best of our ability and proceed to move ahead with our life regardless of the setbacks we face.

We will look into that if things reach to the point where bridges aren't just broken, but flamed and burned with explosives. There have been previous complaints before about Ms. X, but they've either been brushed aside because of tenure (she's been here for a while) or she "bumped" the class avg up at the end.

Then you have precedent. Remember to note that if/when you file your complaint . Pointing out past instances where she's been in similar circumstances is great. You should also point out that she's appeased studnets in the past and this is just another transgression in a long line of them. Things like this are gold in any petition/complaint type situation. Also, any and all of this line of reasoning could be used when you speak to her and she's not cooperating. I would assume you're going to do that before filing the complaint. :P

I don't know if it is a trend but from anecdotal evidence from my friends, English teachers tend to screw over their students in high school. (Not all of them - but based on personal experiences and the experiences of my peers if a teacher is going to screw you over it is a good chance it is an English teacher)

Funny story:

I am normally an 90's/ high 80's student throughout all of high school.In grade 10 I got awards and all that jazz... BUT:

In grade 11 I got a 77 in English because I had a ***** of a teacher who picked favorites and gave you a bad mark if your thesis did not agree with her ideas - very subjective. I found out that I would have her again in grade 12 so I was determined not to have her as my teacher - obviously... I decided to take English in reach ahead in the summer - got a 95. The funny thing was that 15 students that would have had her were in my summer English class. Her class size went from about 30 to 14 students the following year - I felt sorry for the rest.. lol.

Then you have precedent. Remember to note that if/when you file your complaint . Pointing out past instances where she's been in similar circumstances is great. You should also point out that she's appeased studnets in the past and this is just another transgression in a long line of them. Things like this are gold in any petition/complaint type situation. Also, any and all of this line of reasoning could be used when you speak to her and she's not cooperating. I would assume you're going to do that before filing the complaint. :P

Yes, but that was more on heresay from other parents...I'm not sure how to find proper documentation of it (and I'm sure the principal would hide it). It's a well known fact in the school that she's a "teacher to be avoided" but normally it's difficult to have guidance keep switching classes around like that. That's why they didn't let my brother be in another english teacher's class.

^Agreed. Also, can his tutor prepare an objective report of your brother & of the allegedly offending paper.

Yup, she agreed to be part of the meeting to provide her evidence and support. This is a good idea though!

Yes, but that was more on heresay from other parents...I'm not sure how to find proper documentation of it (and I'm sure the principal would hide it). It's a well known fact in the school that she's a "teacher to be avoided" but normally it's difficult to have guidance keep switching classes around like that. That's why they didn't let my brother be in another english teacher's class.

Yup, she agreed to be part of the meeting to provide her evidence and support. This is a good idea though!

In wiriting it can be shown to school board administrators. Writings of other parents will also be important to force administrators recognize there is a real problem, one that won't go away and disappear this time!

Think about it, it works in your favour and still applies. If your brother can find 3-5 people who have been screwed over by her, and they simply agree to sign a letter your brother makes up where it says something like "This course was xyz, the teaching was xyz, I understand my statemetns and implications etc", you can make a claim that this teacher has a bad history. The reasoning here is that they can't say whether your sample size is small or not because they probably have nothing to compare it against. :). It's like teachesr have had petitions up the yin yang against them at that school. There's no comparison, and therefore this lack thereof is a benefit to you. It shows a history, and creates a subtle threat. :). Again, this will work when you're talking to her as well as with a petition.

Goodluck regardless, hopefully it works out for you.

Archived