Premed 101 Forums

A question for the girls: Menstrual cramps

Hi everyone,

For the lady clerks, I was wondering how you deal with going about your business around that time of the month? I usually get pretty bad cramps, and my muscles are extremely sore, and I tend to want to just sit around/lie around the whole day. It's a bit concerning to me because I know this won't be possible during clerkship. I was thinking of going back on the pill to help. Thoughts?

Yeah, I also foresee a problem here. My cramps are so bad that even prescription NSAIDs don't really cut it anymore. Do people usually go on the pill just to not have to deal with the whole thing?

Yeah, it does work for some. You can also simply take the pill non-stop and not get periods at all - that'd solve the problem.

Yeah, I also foresee a problem here. My cramps are so bad that even prescription NSAIDs don't really cut it anymore. Do people usually go on the pill just to not have to deal with the whole thing?

NSAIDS don't work for me unless I take them before the cramps really start (are you doing that too?), so sometimes I start popping them around when I anticipate the right time. Although, it might mean I'm taking NSAIDS for like a week for naught lol.

NSAIDS don't work for me unless I take them before the cramps really start (are you doing that too?), so sometimes I start popping them around when I anticipate the right time. Although, it might mean I'm taking NSAIDS for like a week for naught lol.

That's what you're supposed to do. Take them at the very first oncoming sign.

• 7 months later...

Glad I found this thread, I was going to ask the question myself. My biggest concern is during surgery. What do you do then? You can't just leave at the first sign of trouble...and even if you've taken it in advance the back pain compounded with standing for hours in surgery can be horrible (been there once)...any ideas?

I have endometriosis, so I know all about severe period pain. I've had two laparoscopies for it, but sadly the lesions grow back each time. There are days when I'm curled up in the fetal position, in so much pain from this stupid disease.

If I get into medical school, I'll have to get some stronger painkillers prescribed for the pain, so that I can still function. I've tried continuous BCPs, and they don't work for me (and I've tried just about every monphastic pill out there - no matter which one I'm on, my body still insists on having a period after about three months of pills). I've also tried the mirena IUD, but I still have pain while having it implanted. Only surgery seems to help, and only for a few years, before the lesions start regrowing. It sucks.

NSAIDS definitely work better than other types of drugs, and work best if taken before the pain starts. Those stick-on heating pads can help too. I've used them a lot during exams when I've been in pain, and the heat does help somewhat.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived