Premed 101 Forums

So tired...

medhopeful64

I've been feeling really exhausted lately. I wake up at 8am everyday on weekdays and get home by around 6:30pm. I used to get a ride in the mornings but I don't anymore, so my commute time is now 2 hrs every day. When I get home, I usually have something to eat and and tend to things around the house. By the time I get started on my homework its near 10pm, and I am so exhausted I just want to sleep! :( I try to do homework but I share a room with a sibling and my family is so loud, its hard to get any reading done.

I haven't been able to get much work done either at school or at home. At home its really loud. At school its quiet but my mind tends to wander and I can't concentrate. Or, after abt an hour of "studying" I'm hungry and so I want to leave for lunch. I have a good 2-4 hour break just about every day of the week in btwn classes (have about 3-5 hours of class every day except Fridays), so I should be able to get something done in there but I just haven't been able to pull off any decent studying lately. I am getting behind in my classes. At the end of the day, when I sit down to do my homework, I also have this pain in my shoulder, like my shoulders/body are so tense they hurt (I feel better when I relax them). Maybe its my posture, I don't know but it contributes to my overall fatigue.

Someone please suggest me ways to reduce stress/increase my energy level. And how to focus on my work :eek:

I've been feeling really exhausted lately. I wake up at 8am everyday on weekdays and get home by around 6:30pm. I used to get a ride in the mornings but I don't anymore, so my commute time is now 2 hrs every day. When I get home, I usually have something to eat and and tend to things around the house. By the time I get started on my homework its near 10pm, and I am so exhausted I just want to sleep! :( I try to do homework but I share a room with a sibling and my family is so loud, its hard to get any reading done.

I haven't been able to get much work done either at school or at home. At home its really loud. At school its quiet but my mind tends to wander and I can't concentrate. Or, after abt an hour of "studying" I'm hungry and so I want to leave for lunch. I have a good 2-4 hour break just about every day of the week in btwn classes (have about 3-5 hours of class every day except Fridays), so I should be able to get something done in there but I just haven't been able to pull off any decent studying lately. I am getting behind in my classes. At the end of the day, when I sit down to do my homework, I also have this pain in my shoulder, like my shoulders/body are so tense they hurt (I feel better when I relax them). Maybe its my posture, I don't know but it contributes to my overall fatigue.

Someone please suggest me ways to reduce stress/increase my energy level. And how to focus on my work :eek:

Same here man. School from 8 Am till 4, by the time i get home about 6:30, at which point i eat, then take a quick nap, wake up ~ 9-10 PM. Do homework till 2-4 AM sometimes later, then rinse and repeat. It gets easier with time, my first semester doing this I was not used it it and was starting to freak out, but you just gotta accept that this is your norm :P. Also you got the summer to look forward to, this routine is not gonna last forever, only for the semester which is what, about 12 weeks? It all comes down to how badly you want it, and if your willing to push yourself the extra mile.

My friend, if you're already doing this, then great. But if not, this is a must, especially for someone in your situation who cant seem to find the time to get good quality studying in. Here's the solution....

SPEND YOUR WEEKEND IN A LIBRARY!

Thats right. Let your body wake up naturally without an alarm clock (for proper rest), and get to the nearest library and spend Sat and Sun studying. Maybe take a friend or two if you're prone to getting bored, or go to a place that isnt needle-drop quiet.

Most importantly I think, it's imperative that you find a way to get accustomed to studying in a library or outside of the house. You have a ton of break time that MUST to be put to use if you want a competitive GPA. Thats as straight up as I can put it for you. (Maybe try a cafe? Theres a more mellow mood in those places if youre into that thing. Or an area of your library that allows people to speak outloud)

I neglected to do this until recently, and I can only wonder how much higher my earlier GPA would have been because of it.

EDIT: Also, learn to use your commute time to read or get something done. If your commute time is 2 hrs a day, thats 10 hrs a week, ~40 hrs a month, and ~ 130 hrs for the whole semester! I used to have a long commute like you and just spent it catching up on sleep, but if you're awake, use it wisely!

this works well IF you can find spots that aren't filled with people whispering loudly to each other, texting/typing nonstop on their phones, chewing gum loudly like a cow chews their cud, and any other host of annoying quiet things that people do in a library because they're bored lol

I'd pay for a secluded spot in a library that's just for me haha

Same here man. School from 8 Am till 4, by the time i get home about 6:30, at which point i eat, then take a quick nap, wake up ~ 9-10 PM. Do homework till 2-4 AM sometimes later, then rinse and repeat. It gets easier with time, my first semester doing this I was not used it it and was starting to freak out, but you just gotta accept that this is your norm :P. Also you got the summer to look forward to, this routine is not gonna last forever, only for the semester which is what, about 12 weeks? It all comes down to how badly you want it, and if your willing to push yourself the extra mile.

lol, I have no idea how you got used to that, seems like a self punishment. Naps don't work for me - I need like 3 hour naps to feel refreshed. If I'm completely destroyed however I'll just hit the bed and wake up 5-6 hours later early in the morning to get something done. I feel like I am more prone to distractions late at night anyways. But you're right about the attitude - just gotta suck it up for now and push yourself hard.

My friend, if you're already doing this, then great. But if not, this is a must, especially for someone in your situation who cant seem to find the time to get good quality studying in. Here's the solution....

SPEND YOUR WEEKEND IN A LIBRARY!

Thats right. Let your body wake up naturally without an alarm clock (for proper rest), and get to the nearest library and spend Sat and Sun studying. Maybe take a friend or two if you're prone to getting bored, or go to a place that isnt needle-drop quiet.

Most importantly I think, it's imperative that you find a way to get accustomed to studying in a library or outside of the house. You have a ton of break time that MUST to be put to use if you want a competitive GPA. Thats as straight up as I can put it for you. (Maybe try a cafe? Theres a more mellow mood in those places if youre into that thing. Or an area of your library that allows people to speak outloud)

I neglected to do this until recently, and I can only wonder how much higher my earlier GPA would have been because of it.

EDIT: Also, learn to use your commute time to read or get something done. If your commute time is 2 hrs a day, thats 10 hrs a week, ~40 hrs a month, and ~ 130 hrs for the whole semester! I used to have a long commute like you and just spent it catching up on sleep, but if you're awake, use it wisely!

Haha, i tried that in first year. Was okay, but its hard to find spots at libraries sometimes! I've tried just listening to classical music to help me drown out the noise at my place, and it works sometimes. I generally need quiet to study though, unless its background noise in a cafe, that's ok too (as long as I can't make out what people are saying I'm good). I've been using my break hours at school to study and I've got stuff done (well it is exam time haha) so that pushed me to focus.

Commuting is a pain. Usually I don't get a seat on the bus so sleeping is usually not an option anyway lol. I also can't really read in a moving vehicle unfortunately :( it makes me nauseous.

Find time to exercise. My hours these days are basically 6 am to 6 pm and occasional weekend call, and I still force myself to go at least twice a week - and I honestly should be going 3x to have more energy and feel better.

You're absolutely right. I need exercise. how many hours should I be doing a week? I remember someone posting a video here, about how exercising for 30 minutes a day can have drastic effects. IMO though I am pretty sure I walk around for at least 30 minutes a day on campus, to and from classes, if walking counts. I think though I will try mediation for improved concentration!

Oh - and Aaron, you should try Schulich library or Steacie. They are way better than Scott library. York definitely needs more study spaces.

You're absolutely right. I need exercise. how many hours should I be doing a week? I remember someone posting a video here, about how exercising for 30 minutes a day can have drastic effects. IMO though I am pretty sure I walk around for at least 30 minutes a day on campus, to and from classes, if walking counts. I think though I will try mediation for improved concentration!

You can also do some exercise while you study for a break. I was kind of in the same boat as you, in UG - starting homework very late all the time (and away competing most weekends so the "weekend library study" suggestion wasn't even an option!). So I REALLY needed to force myself to stay awake to get homework done.

I used to get off my chair every 20-30 mins or so, get on the ground and do a set of pushups/situps just to get the blood flowing. I find I was a little more awake after doing that.

lol, I have no idea how you got used to that, seems like a self punishment. Naps don't work for me - I need like 3 hour naps to feel refreshed. If I'm completely destroyed however I'll just hit the bed and wake up 5-6 hours later early in the morning to get something done. I feel like I am more prone to distractions late at night anyways. But you're right about the attitude - just gotta suck it up for now and push yourself hard.

Haha, i tried that in first year. Was okay, but its hard to find spots at libraries sometimes! I've tried just listening to classical music to help me drown out the noise at my place, and it works sometimes. I generally need quiet to study though, unless its background noise in a cafe, that's ok too (as long as I can't make out what people are saying I'm good). I've been using my break hours at school to study and I've got stuff done (well it is exam time haha) so that pushed me to focus.

Commuting is a pain. Usually I don't get a seat on the bus so sleeping is usually not an option anyway lol. I also can't really read in a moving vehicle unfortunately :( it makes me nauseous.

Oh - and Aaron, you should try Schulich library or Steacie. They are way better than Scott library. York definitely needs more study spaces.

Don't be soft...

Archived