Premed 101 Forums

Appealing a grade at UBC? Wise or not.

Chaplin

I did a course at UBC this past fall semester which did not turn out to be good. In the midterm exam I got about 2 % more than the class average and on the final I got like 6% more than the class average. But when I got the final grade it was similar to the class average which was posted on my SSC but on the UBC grade distribution website

https://www.secure.pair.ubc.ca/reports/gradesdist_request.action

the class average mentioned was 2.5% higher than published in the SSC. I went to the prof during his/her office hours and they said that the exam viewing session was for learning purposes only and grade appeals, marks cannot be discussed during this session and must be appealed for a review through the registrars office. The prof did tell me that the midterm has been scaled a bit. So im pondering on whether to appeal the grade or not. Can anyone who has heard or experienced about this situation give any advice please?

Much appreciated.

I did a course at UBC this past fall semester which did not turn out to be good. In the midterm exam I got about 2 % more than the class average and on the final I got like 6% more than the class average. But when I got the final grade it was similar to the class average which was posted on my SSC but on the UBC grade distribution website

https://www.secure.pair.ubc.ca/reports/gradesdist_request.action

the class average mentioned was 2.5% higher than published in the SSC. I went to the prof during his/her office hours and they said that the exam viewing session was for learning purposes only and grade appeals, marks cannot be discussed during this session and must be appealed for a review through the registrars office. The prof did tell me that the midterm has been scaled a bit. So im pondering on whether to appeal the grade or not. Can anyone who has heard or experienced about this situation give any advice please?

Much appreciated.

Other components to the class that might've lowered your average?

Did you ask the professor for opinion?

I remember when I was taking a course, during the exam review the prof actually said if we want to apply for regrade, make him look at the exam first, and he would tell us what grade we will likely to get so we are not wasting the money doing nothing.

If your prof is nice and your score is like 79-80 this kind of change, he/she will probably give you some suggestion.

Archived