Premed 101 Forums

Action! aka Interview invitation

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Got an interview invite a minute ago as well. March 24th at 10:00 am ..... except it says Thunder Bay .... and I am closest to Sudbury .... wonder if I can change that to Sudbury or whether Ill have to fly to TB ....?

Any insight?

Beef

Yours is same place/time as mine ;) Um... on the application they asked which campus you preferred for interview, did you indicate Sudbury?

Beef,

That happened to me last year. I live only an hour and a half away from Sudbury but my interview was in Thunder Bay. I wasn't able to change it, as all of the invitations were sent and the time slots were filled. I must admit, though, I didn't try very hard...I was just happy that I had the interview! My family and I drove the 10 very long hours to T.B. In good weather (which we had) it was actually a beautiful drive.

Yours is same place/time as mine ;) Um... on the application they asked which campus you preferred for interview, did you indicate Sudbury?

Yes I indicated Sudbury as I am a 1 1/2 hour drive away. I will look at my printed off OMSAS forms tonight after work and see if I made the horrendous mistake of ticking the wrong box. Oh well if its Thunder Bay than I guess we'll get to meet :)

Beef

Beef,

That happened to me last year. I live only an hour and a half away from Sudbury but my interview was in Thunder Bay. I wasn't able to change it, as all of the invitations were sent and the time slots were filled. I must admit, though, I didn't try very hard...I was just happy that I had the interview! My family and I drove the 10 very long hours to T.B. In good weather (which we had) it was actually a beautiful drive.

Thanks for the insight. I will give a call in a few days once Ive calmed down a bit ... :D

Baha! Nevermind, I actually indicated on mine that I preferred Sudbury and they gave me Thunder Bay. I am in the middle of the two, so it doesn't matter for me. Maybe give them a call and see if you can change it. I'm a little thrown that their dates are the same as McMaster's. I already had to send Mac a confirmation that I was available for their proposed dates... if I get an interview there, I certainly hope it isn't on the same day!

Don't give up Hoote! I grew up and lived my entire life in St. Albert and in Edmonton until 9 years ago when I moved to northern Ontario. I was still able to receive an interview last year and this year. Your personal and work experience, as well as the time you've spent in northern and/or isolated communities is always looked at and recognized. Another year may be YOUR year!

What a pleasant surprise it was when I checked my email this afternoon!

Wasn't expecting an email at all - especially when their website says interview invites will go out mid-February.

I prefer it when they surprise us this way - its much less stressful than constantly checking your email in the lead up.

Interview March 25 in Thunder Bay!

Don't give up Hoote! I grew up and lived my entire life in St. Albert and in Edmonton until 9 years ago when I moved to northern Ontario. I was still able to receive an interview last year and this year. Your personal and work experience, as well as the time you've spent in northern and/or isolated communities is always looked at and recognized. Another year may be YOUR year!

Hey thanks Chicklets3. I had an interview last year but I was stationed on a base of only 1500 people vs now I'm living in St Albert. That probably tipped the scale. Context is very important.

Here's to next year!! All the best to you who received an interview! You'll have an awesome experience and the time will just fly by!!!

Hoote

I am little confused about the context score. Is it only taken into account pre-interview, or throughout the post-interview decision as well?

Before interview...1/3 context, 1/3 ABS, 1/3 GPA

After interview 1/2 interview, 1/6 context, 1/6 ABS, 1/6 GPA

Good luck everyone, be sure to have fun at the interviews !!!

Congratulations!

I have to say thank you for your signature, lekarza, it totally inspired me today. :)

I'm so glad that it helped you! It's definitely helped keep me motivated these past few years! Congratulations and best of luck on your interview! Hopefully we will meet this fall :)

Congrats everyone who received an interview!!!

Please keep in mind, where you get to interview has little impact on where you may be placed if accepted. They try and accommodate everyone, but it is impossible with set places. Remember approx 200 interview in each city. Also keep in mind, if you get accepted to Thunder Bay, chances are that's where you will have to go (although there seems to be some minimal changing each year and location wait lists once accepted). When applying to NOSM, you really need to be willing to attend either campus.

Again, congrats to everyone!

If anyone has questions about the process, send me a message (I pop on every once in a while)

Archived