Premed 101 Forums

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

In the first year, there are monthly placements (1 half day) assigned to you that you must attend. Most of these are between Hamilton and Mississauga...sometimes you can make special arrangements with the coordinator to have them elsewhere or switch with a colleague. You are also required to complete 3 longitudinal placements (LPs) within the first year - each LP is 1 half day a week for ~4 weeks unless otherwise specified. These are arranged independently and can be completed in the Toronto area if that is what you prefer.

Clerkship takes place for the duration of the entire second year of the program. Core placements are mostly in the Hamilton/Toronto area unless you specifically specify that you are interested in travelling to other parts of Ontario. Electives are your responsibility.

Source: I'm currently in the program and am from Toronto :)

Hello,

In the first year, there are monthly placements (1 half day) assigned to you that you must attend. Most of these are between Hamilton and Mississauga...sometimes you can make special arrangements with the coordinator to have them elsewhere or switch with a colleague. You are also required to complete 3 longitudinal placements (LPs) within the first year - each LP is 1 half day a week for ~4 weeks unless otherwise specified. These are arranged independently and can be completed in the Toronto area if that is what you prefer.

Clerkship takes place for the duration of the entire second year of the program. Core placements are mostly in the Hamilton/Toronto area unless you specifically specify that you are interested in travelling to other parts of Ontario. Electives are your responsibility.

Source: I'm currently in the program and am from Toronto :)

Thank you so much! That's very helpful.

We were told that we are expected to have our own means of transportation to be able to attend placements that might be out-of-town.

This is correct. When scheduling placements, they assume that you have access to a car - this is noted in the invitation to the interview, as well as in the admissions letter. I am currently living close to campus and most of my placements to date have been in Hamilton and only a short bus ride away. That said, my next placement is in Cambridge at 8AM so I will have to drive as there are no busses running. Several students in my class do not have cars and have had to essentially beg others to switch with them so that they would not have to take $50 cab rides to their placements. It's never guaranteed that someone will switch with you (especially when it's a big inconvenience for that person as well), and when it boils down to it, the program will tell you that it's your responsibility to find transportation...after all, they did warn you!

Archived