Premed 101 Forums

Wow!!!!All U of C applicants will find this interesting

Dr. Walker is watching. and waiting.

How about the university make an account and help us out here? Might be easier than answering 1000 phonecalls on the same issue.

true :) Some actually do actually.

One of the big reasons people use the site is the slowness at some school (I am not picking out any one in particular here, and in particular not Calgary) in responding.

As a side note the error on premed101 was corrected within 5 hours of posting. Individually we are weak. Together we are actually quite powerful :)

I... I am speechless at UofC implementing a 10-year rule.

UBC removing their 10-year rule was a major factor in my move to the territories, as many of you know.

I'm kind of the person it was made for- my GPA prior to 2000 is about 1.5/4, whereas my courses since 2007 (when I returned to school to try for med) are about 3.65-ish.

OK- obviously I have written more than a "speechless" person would.

If I receive a rejection in 48-hours, it will be MUCH more tolerable!

Dr. Walker and the adcom, you are making the admissions process an incredible place. The small town I wind up settling in and serving, or where someone like me ends up serving, is in deep gratitude to you.

Actually I gave it a sober second look this morning and I am interpreting something different than what I originally asked for on the forum.

Here it goes:

In order to "invoke" the 10 yr rule, one must have 2 full-time years in the "last" ten years with a qualifying GPA. THEN they can drop off all courses that are 10 years and older.

Is this what you guys are understanding?

If that is the case, then if you only have one degree, you have a small window (a few years) where you could drop first and 2nd years courses and still apply provided your 3rd and 4th years are full-time.

How about the university make an account and help us out here? Might be easier than answering 1000 phonecalls on the same issue.

You see this a fair bit on the SDN forum actually (basically the US equivalent of PM101), but just individual adcom members, not like, official accounts for a school's entire committee.

I fully support a 10-year rule, even though I don't know anyone who would use it, as grades from >10 years ago probably aren't often reflective of a person's current academic abilities/work ethic, in which case it makes sense not to have those grades hold them back.

Archived