Premed 101 Forums

FULL course load question

dbswl_7569

Hello,

I was reading other posts regarding full course load and they didn't really answer to my specific question so I am asking for your help!

So, basically my course load situation is;

First year: 4.5 credit (assuming that 0.5 for a semester credit) during the school year with an AP credit.

First year summer: 0.5 credit.

Second year: 5 credit.

third year: 4.5 credit.

Fourth year: will be completing 5 credit.

And I am planning to apply to med school in my 5th year (I will take full 5 credit).

my question is, i was freaking out the other day because I realized that many school have this full course load rule that must be recent or consecutive years. (eg. Dalhousie) And I was wondering if you guys knew if it is total ineligibility or penalty?

Thank you so much for your help!

You aren't penalized.

So for ontario,

Uoft will see all your courses and calculate your gpa based on that.

Minus the summer courses

Ur fine for western and queens because you got 2 years fc

Ur fine for mac, they don't care

Fine for Ottawa as well.

I'm sure only for ontario, not sure about other schools outside of Ontario.

But what's done is what, you can't change anything because you aren't in the year where you didn't. Also, I think the benefit only comes when you are applying to uoft. So no need to stress over it.

Hello,

I was reading other posts regarding full course load and they didn't really answer to my specific question so I am asking for your help!

So, basically my course load situation is;

First year: 4.5 credit (assuming that 0.5 for a semester credit) during the school year with an AP credit.

First year summer: 0.5 credit.

Second year: 5 credit.

third year: 4.5 credit.

Fourth year: will be completing 5 credit.

And I am planning to apply to med school in my 5th year (I will take full 5 credit).

my question is, i was freaking out the other day because I realized that many school have this full course load rule that must be recent or consecutive years. (eg. Dalhousie) And I was wondering if you guys knew if it is total ineligibility or penalty?

Thank you so much for your help!

Don't quote me on this, but for Dalhousie, you must have taken 2 consecutive years with 5 credits (completed) to be eligible. If you took 5 credits in year 4 and 5, but not in year 3, then you would have to apply in "year 6".

However, if you had compelling reasons as to why you had to take 4.5 credits in year 3, your application may move forward.

For Western, if you had a grade above cutoff in each of the 2 of the years you took 5.0 credits in, then you will still remain eligible. Also, if you have one 5.0 course load year that meets the cutoff (let's say your 4th year) and you are taking 5.0 credits in 5th year, you may be able to receive a conditional acceptance.

Don't quote me on this, but for Dalhousie, you must have taken 2 consecutive years with 5 credits (completed) to be eligible. If you took 5 credits in year 4 and 5, but not in year 3, then you would have to apply in "year 6".

However, if you had compelling reasons as to why you had to take 4.5 credits in year 3, your application may move forward.

For Western, if you had a grade above cutoff in each of the 2 of the years you took 5.0 credits in, then you will still remain eligible. Also, if you have one 5.0 course load year that meets the cutoff (let's say your 4th year) and you are taking 5.0 credits in 5th year, you may be able to receive a conditional acceptance.

For western, I thought the average had to be above the cutoff? As in the average of your two best year has to be better than 3.7.

No, that is unfortunately not the case with Western. BOTH the years that they are using must meet or exceed the cutoff.

I think I do meet the cutoff for the requirement. I don't think my GPA will be like the major concern but I am a bit frustrated that I can't really "use" my 3rd year mark because i am missing .5 credit. If I knew then, I wouldn't have dropped it but at that moment, I had legitimate reason why I couldn't continue taking the course...I think... :(

Archived