Premed 101 Forums

I really need some advice!

seegibson

As a senior in highschool everybody is asking eachother the big question: What are your plans for next year?

I have a friend who is refusing to make any plans for her future. She wont pick a program, she wont look at brochures and course catalogs, nothing. Everytime I bring up next year, she says "I dont really know. What do you think I should be?" I really dont know what I can do. I make multiple suggestions to her and her response is usually something along the lines of "Do they make a lot of money?"

Last week, she decided that she wanted to be a teacher, I helped her look everything up and find out all the details about the program, and the deadline has passed only the day before.

She comes from a fairly wealthy family, with both parents having gone to university themselves, and I am so astounded that she has zero aspirations for the future.

Deadlines for applications have either passed or are coming up very quickly. Do I continue to help her try and find something for next year? Am I wasting my time? I dont know what to do. Im so afraid that if I dont do anything she will end up working full time at her present job at a pizza place.

HELP.

What made you want to go to University?

Not your problem. I don't mean to sound insensitive, but if somebody doesn't want to be in university, they will flunk out. People are going to do what they are going to do. It's better if she comes back to uni after a couple years than going in now and failing. As a friend, you can put in your 2 cents but it will ultimately be her decision. Also remember that university is not for everyone.

Your friend clearly has no idea what she wants to do, she has no aspirations only because she hasn't found a goal that she thinks is worth pursuing. It would be better for her to take some time to clear her head and figure things out rather than to go into a program she doesn't really like and only waste her time and money there, and then resent you and herself.

There's nothing you can do to help her at this point, just let her be and don't pressure her into career options that you think will be better for her.

As a senior in highschool everybody is asking eachother the big question: What are your plans for next year?

I have a friend who is refusing to make any plans for her future. She wont pick a program, she wont look at brochures and course catalogs, nothing. Everytime I bring up next year, she says "I dont really know. What do you think I should be?" I really dont know what I can do. I make multiple suggestions to her and her response is usually something along the lines of "Do they make a lot of money?"

Last week, she decided that she wanted to be a teacher, I helped her look everything up and find out all the details about the program, and the deadline has passed only the day before.

She comes from a fairly wealthy family, with both parents having gone to university themselves, and I am so astounded that she has zero aspirations for the future.

Deadlines for applications have either passed or are coming up very quickly. Do I continue to help her try and find something for next year? Am I wasting my time? I dont know what to do. Im so afraid that if I dont do anything she will end up working full time at her present job at a pizza place.

HELP.

You trying to get laid kid? Don't be that nerdy friend of every hot chic (assuming shes hot). Just a word of advice, dont do what you r doing right now hoping to get her to fall in love with u. Just ask her out straight up like a man/G :cool:

my friends, having the minimum marks, and nothing better to do... i picked my major out of 15 on a list and spent about 5 minutes on it... the funny thing is after all the thought and time people put into thinking about what they want to be when they grow up, it often ends up just as random as flipping through a catalogue and picking a cool sounding major, you just don't notice it since the randomness happens over years...

here's some comedic relief. if nothing works out your friend could just go into politics, at the provincial, or municipal level, from the career planners bill maher and chris rock:

HELP.

You trying to get laid kid? Don't be that nerdy friend of every hot chic (assuming shes hot). Just a word of advice, dont do what you r doing right now hoping to get her to fall in love with u. Just ask her out straight up like a man/G :cool:

Hahahahhaa, absolutely the wrong idea here.

She is one of my best friends! :P

Everything is seeming to go a little bit better. We had a really good girl talk over the weekend, and since she has absolutely zero idea of what she wants to do, Ive been suggesting a few volunteering abroad programs. But ultimately, im going to stay out of it and let her make her own decisions.

Hahahahhaa, absolutely the wrong idea here.

She is one of my best friends! :P

Everything is seeming to go a little bit better. We had a really good girl talk over the weekend, and since she has absolutely zero idea of what she wants to do, Ive been suggesting a few volunteering abroad programs. But ultimately, im going to stay out of it and let her make her own decisions.

That's the right attitude. Just let her do her own thing.

Her parents are too wrapped up in their own lives to mentor her. Thery brought her up as a princess having everything with no parental guidance along the way, so yes, she is somewhat lost. Moreover, she does not have the compelling ambition or drive that is often found in immigrant children or those whose parents are immigrants. Therefore, her learning curve as to what interests her and whethere she becomes motivated to tackle challenging studies is longer than most.

You are probably the only person in her life who has shown the time and interest to help her along her path of life. She is scared, lacks in confidence and you are a dear friend in her time of need, even if it ain't easy. For sure, money is not a solution to all our problems.

Archived