Premed 101 Forums

Acknowledgement???

UBCStudent128

I wouldn't mention the acknowledgement to be honest. As someone mentione previously, it raises more questions than anything.

Also, I was thinking about the whole staying in one lab thing as well . I'm enrolled in a co-op program, so I get several terms to do research, but I was wondering if it's better to stick to one lab for all my terms+ thesis, or move around and get exposure to more labs + more reference letters?

Guest LeCreuset
I wouldn't mention the acknowledgement to be honest. As someone mentione previously, it raises more questions than anything.

Also, I was thinking about the whole staying in one lab thing as well . I'm enrolled in a co-op program, so I get several terms to do research, but I was wondering if it's better to stick to one lab for all my terms+ thesis, or move around and get exposure to more labs + more reference letters?

That depends on whether you're able to get other reference letter from professors who have taught you or supervisors in volunteer positions. If you can find another two referees it would be advantageous to sty in the same lab simply because you will get more substantive research done and not have to go through the learning curve in each lab. However there is no shame in moving around every term.

That depends on whether you're able to get other reference letter from professors who have taught you or supervisors in volunteer positions. If you can find another two referees it would be advantageous to sty in the same lab simply because you will get more substantive research done and not have to go through the learning curve in each lab. However there is no shame in moving around every term.

Thanks! I never accounted for that. Our program is small, so I would definitely be able to get references from professors who have taught me in class. And I hope to volunteer in someone's lab in September. But I essentially have 3 co-op terms, and a thesis of work experience that I need to complete. So I wasn't sure if it would be better to complete all 4 at 1 location for example, or split them into 2, and combine the thesis with one of the terms for a more thorough thesis project, or simply do all 4 at different locations.

Guest LeCreuset
Thanks! I never accounted for that. Our program is small, so I would definitely be able to get references from professors who have taught me in class. And I hope to volunteer in someone's lab in September. But I essentially have 3 co-op terms, and a thesis of work experience that I need to complete. So I wasn't sure if it would be better to complete all 4 at 1 location for example, or split them into 2, and combine the thesis with one of the terms for a more thorough thesis project, or simply do all 4 at different locations.

In that case towards the end of your first term if everything is going well (i.e. the professor isn't too demanding, you like your work, you're doing a good job) let him/her know that you have two more terms and a thesis and you would like to continue your work. You're very likely to have enough data for a publication + an abstract, maybe even two publications.

In that case towards the end of your first term if everything is going well (i.e. the professor isn't too demanding, you like your work, you're doing a good job) let him/her know that you have two more terms and a thesis and you would like to continue your work. You're very likely to have enough data for a publication + an abstract, maybe even two publications.

Great! Thanks for your advice! I'll definitely keep that in mind at the end of the summer and go from there.

Archived