Premed 101 Forums

urgent care

jawad12ca

I was just wondering if anyone knew of the requirements for urgent care. Does one need any time of fellowship afterwards or is it just after family. Secondly, what are the salaries like for the urgent care physicians?

What do you mean by urgent care? Critical Care Medicine?

Around here urgent care is done by the emerg docs - so the FRCPC and fam +1.

Not sure if there are any family docs without the +1 EM that do urgent care here.

And I am assuming you mean an actual urgent care centre, not a walk-in family clinic.

I've never been to an urgent care centre, what are some extra things they are able to do there? Are they able to handle simple traumas like a broken wrist or a laceration or something, or is it pretty bare bones (pun not intended)?

I've never been to an urgent care centre, what are some extra things they are able to do there? Are they able to handle simple traumas like a broken wrist or a laceration or something, or is it pretty bare bones (pun not intended)?

This is what the urgent care centre in our city does - onsite xrays, CT, ultrasound, laboratory tests, and transfer to another hospital if needed.

So you can think of it somewhere between the emerg and a family doc/WIC.

They aren't going to be able to deal with your STEMI, but aren't going to be doing your PAPs, checking your cholesterol etc. People should be going to a WIC for non-urgent things. Urgent care for more urgent things (they could deal with lacerations, they can splint your fracture), and emerg for life threatening things.

Of course this doesn't always happen, people go the urgent care with their STEMIs, and plenty of UTIs, colds, back pain for 5 years etc show up to the emerg.

Ideally urgent care takes some of the burden of the ERs in terms of more minor cases. And they usually have more extended hours than a family doc or WIC and on-site imaging,labs etc.. Oh and I am pretty sure they are usually all affiliated with a hospital. (at least the ones I know of)

Just did a google to see what the Ontario government defines the 2 as and this is what I found:

Walk-in/After Hours Clinic

At a Walk-in or After Hours Clinic you can see an experienced nurse or doctor, often without an appointment. They offer convenient access to advice, assessment and treatment for minor illnesses and injuries such as cuts, bruises, minor infections, sprains and skin complaints.

Tip : Always call the clinic first to see if you need an appointment.

Use this option when

You’re in a non-urgent situation

Your family doctor’s office is closed or if you don’t currently have a family doctor

You need care for minor illnesses and injuries including infection and rashes, fractures, emergency contraception and advice, stomach upsets, cuts and bruises, and burns and strains.

Urgent Care Centre

An Urgent Care Centre (UCC) can provide diagnosis and treatment for most injuries and illnesses through emergency trained doctors and other health care professionals.

Tip : Some Urgent Care Centres may offer follow-up appointments to see how your recovery from illness/injury is progressing.

Use this option when

You have an urgent, but non life- threatening illness or injury like sprains or strains, if you think you need stitches or have a minor burn that needs treatment.

Though it's probably not the intended use of urgent care, it can be a useful tool for a patient with an undifferentiated complaint to have someone decide emergency vs. no emergency.

When my boyfriend was in DKA (new diabetes presentation) I took him to urgent care even though I suspected that I knew the diagnosis (and that it was, in fact, a medical emergency), because his complaints of stomach pain and fatigue wouldn't have had him seen in the ER for a few hours at least. At urgent care we were seen within 20 minutes, bloodwork drawn, IVs in, in ambulance to hospital as direct admit to internal medicine for insulin drip - so I feel that he got the most appropriate emergency care by bypassing the ER entirely.

Just one perspective.

Archived