Premed 101 Forums

Alberta Pharmacists can renew prescriptions

Good news for pharmacists, but bad news for family docs. According to Edmonton Journal, with effect from July 1, all 4,200 pharmacists in Alberta will be able to renew all prescriptions except narcotics for fees.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/health/schedule+gives+pharmacists+prescription+renewals/6148459/story.html

Will it affects your ranking for the U of A and/or U of C FM programs?

I may need to reconsider my ROL.

That's actually a nice quick way to bill. If every appointment you have is like 45 minutes, it doesn't bode well for your bottom line, so a couple of renewals here and there is good.

Not to mention things like...proactive follow-up, continuity of care, a relevant hx/physical, the overall physician-patient relationship...the list goes on.

I think it's a fair point to talk about scope creep when contemplating family medicine.

The government, at least in Ontario seems to be pushing salaried or AFP family med jobs. If you are salaried, the loss of routine, quick turn around renewals is not as big of a deal.

The problem is you need everyone to be salaried/AFP.

My opinion on pharmacists prescribing is limited scope for most things. Routine meds (BP, OCP etc.) should be renewable ONE time, with a maximum 2 month extension. Basically, it lets people have some flexibility if they run out, but forces them to be reassessed. Vaccination may be another good area to expand into (if it's more convenient, people may do it more).

As for NEW prescriptions, I'm on the fence. I am not sure I agree, as I am not sure pharmacists have enough diagnostic training. I would have to look into it more.

As for NEW prescriptions, I'm on the fence. I am not sure I agree, as I am not sure pharmacists have enough diagnostic training. I would have to look into it more.

LOL, this reminded me of my derm elective. My preceptor had like three different people come in saying the pharmacist changed their prescription because s/he didn't think it was the right medication for them. My preceptor went on 3 huge rants about how he didn't spend like 15 years in training for "all these pieces of paper on my walls" to have someone else take the liberty of changing his prescriptions for him.

I agree w/ Jochi1543, had similar experiences in family med rotations & electives. It's not my intention either to spend my days renewing BP meds, but it does take up a significant part of the family med practices I rotated through. Recently received an AMA President's Letter re this issue and wanted to hear what everyone thinks...and if it'll impact your decision to practise in Alberta.

I think that pharmacists have a lot of knowledge, but I think there's also something to be said for there being too many cooks in the kitchen.

If I am treating a patient and prescribing their meds, but their pharmacist is also prescribing/altering their meds without talking to me first, how can either of us be providing any kind of comprehensive medical care?

Archived