Premed 101 Forums

Matt Gurney: University students borrowing their way into unemployment

Michelle G

The article implies that people going into medicine ''borrow their way into unemployment'' too... It's very false, they're twisting the figures. While a few specialties don't have a lot of spots (neurosurg, cardiac surg, nephro, peds subspecs), if you're a little flexible, you're 100% sure to find a very well paid job (in the 99th percentile).

It's very naive for people with an undergrad in Arts to expect any kind of "job". Most university undergrad degrees (arts or not) are honestly useless. Major in "Canadian Studies"? Come on.

Ditto for science grads.

Professional schools are the ones that tend to give you emploent and even that's not a sure thing.

Quote article:

It’s even more lopsided for medicine — barely 3,000 new jobs are forecasted for the current year. Almost 11,000 students will graduate with relevant degrees.

Huh? 3000 new med grads, approximately 3000 positions in the CaRMS match generating approximately 3000 grads. Sounds perfect to me. I wonder who these 11,000 grads are he's talking about. There's probably not more than 4000 Canadians studying medicine abroad, so I wonder where this number comes from.

Grad school if interested in research, take a qualifying year @ McGill leading to OP or OT, go for MBA and join a large corporation, go for a degree in education and become qualified to teach, find a job in a scientific based company in marketing/sales, study law or pharmacy, apply for a position with government.

Quote article:

It’s even more lopsided for medicine — barely 3,000 new jobs are forecasted for the current year. Almost 11,000 students will graduate with relevant degrees.

Huh? 3000 new med grads, approximately 3000 positions in the CaRMS match generating approximately 3000 grads. Sounds perfect to me. I wonder who these 11,000 grads are he's talking about. There's probably not more than 4000 Canadians studying medicine abroad, so I wonder where this number comes from.

I am assuming by medicine he means health care students including RNs and LPNs, technicians, etc. Would make much more sense that way and I don't think he directly said jobs for Doctors... mind you I didn't read the whole thing

I always do wonder what i could do with a science degree if i weren't to go to grad school.

You'd be surprised how many jobs are actually out there looking for BSc's... the only problem is these jobs start around 40k and will probably max you out at like 60 ish.. Therefore a lot of people are not interested in taking them.

EDIT: scored that tidbit from a science job info session i went to. I have nothing to cite to back me up.

Quote article:

They don't mean doctors - they mean health care I think. Medicine is a lot more broad than just docs in their report -- the report itself is just for the TO region if I am reading this right as well.

I have to agree with that position - people have been saying go into health care now for quite some time. People did, and now we are approaching glut in the market, which always happens eventually to any "hot job market". All those one year degrees in some sort of health care support role really exploded for starters. Not an easy job market now.

The irony of this article is that the author has a BA and MA in Military History - and a more "useless" set of degrees I cannot think of. He managed to get a journalism (of sorts, if the National Post qualifies) job out of it.

I think the difference comes for students who do *well* in their undergrad degree vs. those who finish with a 2.0 GPA. It's not the degree that's the problem there, but the individual who coasted through the BA and doesn't know how to parlay that education into something worthwhile.

Archived