Premed 101 Forums

Doctors Without Borders/MSF

Guest EB

I know this doesn't have anything to do with med admissions, but this is a human rights issue that is very important to me. Seeing as everyone who reads this message board most likely hopes to become a doctor, I'm sure you all realize the importance of the universal right to proper healthcare (including equal economic access to pharmaceuticals) and might want to express your voice.

Thirty-nine pharmaceutical companies are currently suing the South African government to stop citizens from receiving lifesaving AIDS drugs because it cuts into their profits. Doctors Without Borders/Medecins Sans Frontiers (MSF) has started an international petition to make the essential AIDS medicines more accessible to the South African people. If you support MSF's work, please sign the "Drop the Case" petition by April 15 at:

www.doctorswithoutborders...2001.shtml

Thank you,

EB

UG1, U of A

• 4 months later...
Guest TSkinner44

Good point, and one that I wish I had thought to mention! I have signed several months prior, and will remember to take this now to all of the other Med discussion forums in which I participate. Thanks for jogging my memory.

To all others: please help this worthwhile group. It only takes a few moments, but it could be the difference between life or death for another human being.

Guest strider2004

The case was dropped a while ago. Now the problem is that the South African gov't has decided to spend most of its AIDS money on prevention instead of treatment. This means that even with the generic drugs from Cipla, people aren't getting the drugs they need.

Try reading a magazine called Third World Resurgence.

www.twnside.org.sg

They had some articles in January about TRIPS and the whole S. Africa thing.

Archived