Premed 101 Forums

Withdrawn from NRMP!?

bestcoast

Okay, here's the thing.

I got an email from a program director in US asking me why I withdrew from the match. I went online to check and it does say that I am withdrawn due to Canadian match position.

Problem is..........

They haven't even matched at CaRMS yet. Is this a horrible mistake?!?

Okay, here's the thing.

I got an email from a program director in US asking me why I withdrew from the match. I went online to check and it does say that I am withdrawn due to Canadian match position.

Problem is..........

They haven't even matched at CaRMS yet. Is this a horrible mistake?!?

Its only horrible if you dont want to match into Canada ;) CaRMS notifies NRMP if you match into Canada about 5-7 days before the Canadian Match day which causes you to withdraw from the US match

But you did go through CaRMS? I am assuming you were withdrawn from NRMP because you matched in Canada. Congrats if thats the case! The match technically has already been decided (our ROL and program ROL have already been submitted) and we are just waiting for the results to be released on March 6.

I got an email from a program director in US asking me why I withdrew from the match.

You got an email from a PD in the US asking you why you withdrew from the match (which really is a pointless question since it's a irreversible move he wouldn't be able to talk you out of). Oh, American match. You easy.

Ya, did a suicide match (ranking only 1 program)

But the problem is (okay I may be a little paranoid here), what if I go unmatched from that program as someone mentioned here?

That would be messy if I don't match into that Canadian program and I am withdrawn from US match....

I am actually in the same program as you so its good to know that they would do this for us.

How far in advance did it happen last year?

I believe it is just this week - last year the person I know got the call on the Wednesday (so just under a week before match day).

MUCH nicer for them since they had time to prepare/get over it before everyone had their happy match day results, and they had time to ask people for new letters, start drafting second round applications etc, which is useful because the timelines for second iteration are VERY short.

^^ doubt the NRMP trick applies to everyone...unless its after march 6

Well it applies to those to are going through both, Carms and NRMP - and its only good news if they are automatically withdrawn from NRMP b/c they matched in Canada - even if they don't know where yet, its still a huge relief to know.

I believe it is just this week - last year the person I know got the call on the Wednesday (so just under a week before match day).

MUCH nicer for them since they had time to prepare/get over it before everyone had their happy match day results, and they had time to ask people for new letters, start drafting second round applications etc, which is useful because the timelines for second iteration are VERY short.

Is this for real?

I will have to confirm this.

Archived